Angus' balls

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angus_grant

Custom Title Now Available
Reaction score
So a few people asked for the recipe for my spicy meatballs at the Qld case swap.

Meatballs
680g minced beef
50g fresh breadcrumbs
120ml milk
1 lg egg lightly beaten
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
35g Parmesan cheese
2 tsp ground sea salt
1 tsp freshly ground pepper
1 tbsp garlic granules
1 tbsp onion granules
2 tsp dried oregano
2 tsp dried basil

Sauce:
575ml BBQ sauce (I use a spicy wood-smoked BBQ sauce)
235ml seedless raspberry jam (I use anothoth jam but any good quality jam)
1 tsp chilli powder

Take note of the tsp and tbsp!!!

BBQ or oven to 120 degrees. Any hotter and you melt a lot of the cheese out of the meatballs. Get a flat baking tin and line with foil. Makes cleaning up dead easy.
Combine all the meatball ingredients in a bowl. Get your hands in there and mash it around. You want to make sure of a good distribution of the oregano and basil. Roll the meatballs into 2.5cm balls and place in baking tin. Make sure they don't touch each other. Cook for about 45 minutes

While your balls are copping a grilling, bring the BBQ sauce, raspberry jam, and chilli powder to a simmer in frying pan. Keep stirring so things are combined and the jam doesn't bake onto the pan. Put the meatballs in the frying pan and toss through the sauce. Serve hot.

Like a good beer, you want to keep a good balance between the sauce components. Don't be too tempted to crank the chilli up too much. You'll lose that nice sweetness up front that the jam gives. My breakfast balls had double chilli and I reckon that's about the limit before you start losing the jam sweetness. Don't forget the spicy woodsmoke BBQ sauce will a bit of a kick.

I am wondering now whether I can increase volumes of sauce components but cook for longer to increase the intensity. Again, just like a beer recipe you always wanting to tweak it.

Let me know if you enjoy my balls. More importantly, let me know if your wife enjoys my balls. :)

These were amazeballs. Probably the bestmanfood in the world. The sauce is devine.

I made these for family party and we finished the meatballs off so a mate grabbed some crackers and hoed into the left over sauce.
Just a real nice combination between the sweet of the jam and spice of the BBQ sauce and chilli.
I got the base recipe from a BBQ book so it's not completely my recipe.
But they were certainly my balls everyone nibbled on Saturday. :)

Any reason why it's dried onions && garlic ?

These are (relatively expensive) products I don't usually have on hand.
Maybe I'll just substitute fresh and report back. Although woolworthless is out of Australian garlic this time of year anyway.

Loved your balls the other night Angus, my fingers got all sticky but.

Without question having your balls in my mouth was the highlight of the night.

Something to be said when it takes a good 10 seconds to get all the sauce off your fingers :icon_drool2:

While this wasn't the first time I had Angus' balls in my mouth, it was as sticky and delicious as I remembered it.

No idea why it's dried. I've certainly had fresh onion and garlic in meatballs before. I guess they were normal sized meatballs though.

The granules are probably smaller than I can manage to dice. Might be the reason.

The sticky jam is what makes this sauce!! ::drool::

My balls might be improved by a slight dry rub!!

Oh, and Stu, I have been dreaming a bit with my last few post counts. Some nice Ducati numbers. 990, 996, 998. I think my favourite would be a white 748 though... Have to win some cash before I can afford a Ducati though.

And this post bring me to 999.

Ducati-999_mp112_pic_16685.jpg

Latest posts

Back