BBQ Pork Buns

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As of 5 minutes ago, I can now concur.

Dammit, Fents, now I have yet another food vice up this end of the city!

Was thinking of doing these with pork mince in a Chinese sauce. Pork pie bun

Made Punkin's recipe last night. Very nice indeed.

I did cheat and bought my Char Siu at my local Chinese BBQ place (Tim's BBQ Kitchen in Hornsby... fantastic. Any place that sells pickled ducks tongues is good with me).

I had to use butter because I forgot to buy lard. This coupled with the fact that we are a very unprocessed family which meant unbleached flour and raw sugar meant the buns were very yellow rather than white.

Not sure I got the dough right. It came out more like a pastry but it did rise and go somewhat fluffy in the steaming. It was a little dry though. I checked a few other recipes and they all say to steam for 15 mins not 30 with the warning that any longer will cause the dough to dry out. About 80% of the recipes I checked also use yeast in the dough. There were a few with just baking powder but most used yeast or yeast and baking powder. The only other thing I noticed was that all the other recipes say to put the buns in the steamer seam side up rather than seam side down.

Definitely giving this a go again. I'll use lard next time and might give the yeasted dough a crack.

Cheers
Dave

WarmBeer said:
As of 5 minutes ago, I can now concur.

Dammit, Fents, now I have yet another food vice up this end of the city!
Could not find it on google. What's the address?

Hahahaha didn't have the space in between nam and loong.

Cheers. May have to head in for lunch.

Airgead said:
Made Punkin's recipe last night. Very nice indeed.

I did cheat and bought my Char Siu at my local Chinese BBQ place (Tim's BBQ Kitchen in Hornsby... fantastic. Any place that sells pickled ducks tongues is good with me).

I had to use butter because I forgot to buy lard. This coupled with the fact that we are a very unprocessed family which meant unbleached flour and raw sugar meant the buns were very yellow rather than white.

Not sure I got the dough right. It came out more like a pastry but it did rise and go somewhat fluffy in the steaming. It was a little dry though. I checked a few other recipes and they all say to steam for 15 mins not 30 with the warning that any longer will cause the dough to dry out. About 80% of the recipes I checked also use yeast in the dough. There were a few with just baking powder but most used yeast or yeast and baking powder. The only other thing I noticed was that all the other recipes say to put the buns in the steamer seam side up rather than seam side down.

Definitely giving this a go again. I'll use lard next time and might give the yeasted dough a crack.

Cheers
Dave
Sorry the 30 mins was a typo, thanks for pointing that out. Should read steam for 20 mins, i've edited it. Also when making the dough, add water till it feels right, sometimes up to half a cup extra is needed. The buns definately rise with cooking rather than the resting in this yeastless recipe. I'll have to have a google and try a yeasted one too.

Made some BBQ pork the other day. Let it marinade in the fridge for 3 days turn every or even twice a day.

Man this stuff is the goods! Was farting pure BBQ pork at work last night. Hahahahahaha.

Here's the finished product.
IMG_1626.JPG

Cooked them at 240c for 30 mins the turned and basted. dropped the temp to 200c for 15 mins. Wasn't sure that they were finished, should have used the thermometer, so basted and went for another 15. The ends were a little dry but the middle was juicy.

Next time, yes there will be a next time, I will use the thermometer and check the internal temp so as not to over cook.

Cheers for the recipe Punkin.

You are very welcome. Not sure where i got it, but it was a book somewhere.

Tried this bun recipe from DonBurke last night
http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/68308-smoking-meat/?p=1074711

The buns are a very light bread texture and much closer to the original buns i tried as a young fella from a chinese shop at West ryde or Eastwood.

Very tasty indeed, but we both ended up prefering the heavier baking powder style bun for this recipe.

I also fucked the sauce up realising at the last minute that i had no Hoi Sin and substituting Char sui for it.

porkbuns3.jpg

porkbuns2.jpg

Latest posts

Back