Hot water crust pastry pork pies!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

welly2

Reaction score
Had making a proper pork pie in the back of my mind for a while now and so picked up a couple of pie tins, some pork shoulder and had a go.

Dead easy to make - hot water crust pastry consisted of lard, water, plain flour, salt. Although I think this will be a work in progress to get it just right.

Pie filling was finely diced pork shoulder and bacon, with salt, pepper, ground sage and thyme. Ideally I'd have stuck pork belly in as well but neither of the supermarkets had any in stock - will have to go to a proper butcher next time I give this a go.

Waiting for the pies to cool down so I can add the jelly stock. Cheating a bit this time by using gelatine leaves and off the shelf stock. Next time I'll get a couple of pig trotters and make up a proper stock.

12998660_1754370771442574_8340295427264660317_n.jpg

Awww you only made two?

Mmmmm pork pie.

Pork the one you love

(remember that?)

Mr B said:
Awww you only made two?

Mmmmm pork pie.

Pork the one you love

(remember that?)
Just experimental! I didn't make enough pastry. I'll have to pick up a bit more lard tomorrow and make up a few more! (Got plenty of filling).

I need to find some wood-turners to make me a couple of pork pie dollies and do it properly!

70238_1.jpeg

Coles seem to be stocking lard and dripping again, found some at Lismore, after they got rid of it a couple of years ago.

Bribie G said:
According to this pom site, a jam jar is also good at a pinch.
Yeah, saw that last night actually. I might have to give that a go. I'll possibly try it out tonight as I've still got loads of filling left to use and there's pies that want making!

Turned out pretty tasty. Pastry needed a bit more salt, meat needed chopping more finely but all in all, no complaints!

IMG_20160419_191405.jpg

Shit yes ! Pork pie with heaps of mustard is the best.

Good work, Welly.

Looks very tasty Welly, love myself a good pork pie. Just a thought for you though, you said you would use belly and buy trotters to make a stock. You could always braise the belly in some water with the usual suspects. Then pull the meat from the belly for the pie, strain the brasing liquid and chill over night, use the fat that sets on top for the lard in the pastry and then use the braising liquid as your jelly.

Just thought it would save some time and coin whilst all adding flavour.

Cheers,
Beamer

Beamer said:
Looks very tasty Welly, love myself a good pork pie. Just a thought for you though, you said you would use belly and buy trotters to make a stock. You could always braise the belly in some water with the usual suspects. Then pull the meat from the belly for the pie, strain the brasing liquid and chill over night, use the fat that sets on top for the lard in the pastry and then use the braising liquid as your jelly.

Just thought it would save some time and coin whilst all adding flavour.

Cheers,
Beamer
There's a few ideas! A packet of lard isn't bloody cheap. $4.50 for a 250g slab. I might have to give that a go. Cheers!

welly2 said:
There's a few ideas! A packet of lard isn't bloody cheap. $4.50 for a 250g slab. I might have to give that a go. Cheers!
Let me know how it turns out, definetly my turn to give something back to the AHB community even if it isnt brewing related

Back