Hot water crust pastry pork pies!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wide eyed and legless said:
Tell you another one to try welly, Sausage and leek pie. Think it might be a Hairy Bikers recipe.
That sounds amazing. What could possibly be wrong with that? I think I will. I'll be having another go at making pork pies when I've moved to my new place so will definitely make some sausage/leek pies.

There is a butcher here in Dandenong, makes a brilliant black pudding, swore I would never have another of his pork pies, the pastry leaves a lot to be desired, but he made a pork and black pudding pie, again the filling was good but the pastry let it down.
The best ones to buy in Australia (pork pies) are the Pacdon Park Pies, Gala or Pork, black puddings are not to good but the Haggis is good. http://www.pacdon.com.au/our-produce/

wide eyed and legless said:
There is a butcher here in Dandenong, makes a brilliant black pudding, swore I would never have another of his pork pies, the pastry leaves a lot to be desired, but he made a pork and black pudding pie, again the filling was good but the pastry let it down.
The best ones to buy in Australia (pork pies) are the Pacdon Park Pies, Gala or Pork, black puddings are not to good but the Haggis is good. http://www.pacdon.com.au/our-produce/
Bought half a dozen Pacdon pork pies from their outlet in Echuca. Wish I'd bought more.
They are the best pork pies I've tasted in Australia, mainly because they've nailed the pastry the same as Melton Mowbray pork pies.

1466496363673.jpg

More pork pies from the weekend. Will get a photo from one of the pies that has been sliced. I cut the meat much more fine this time and added more sage and thyme. Also pork belly. The meat was delicious, the pastry needs some work. More salt and I think I used too much flour. But we're getting there. Had them with some cheese, pickle and a bottle of TT Landlord. My housemate, a fellow pom, was chuffed to bits.

Here's it cut open:

IMG_20160621_195818 (1).jpg

Two Gala Pies and two Pork Pies, took a leaf out of River Cottage recipe and added a handful of pitted prunes. That is the sugar from the prunes leaching out of one of the Pork Pies(must have got more than its fair share of prunes) The jelly for the two Pork Pies I used the jellied stock from Chinese style Hocks slow cooked for 9 hours.
Next ones I make are going to get Black Pudding added to them.
001.JPG

Back