Pork Rolls (bnh M)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The best I've had:

1. lemongrass chicken banh mi from Bun Bun in springvale!
2. the cold pork(mixed ham) roll from To's bakery in Footscray

damn, I'm hungry now.

1. lemongrass chicken banh mi from Bun Bun in springvale!
Since I was in Springvale today, I made a point to try Bun Bun. Unfortunately they'd sold out of the chicken, so I couldn't try the lemongrass chicken rolls. :(
Roast pork and the usual cold-cut-meat rolls were nice however - not sure if they were that different/specatular/special to the usual ones I get. The bun was a bit more solid and doughy and they also come with lettuce and very orange egg-butter and a few other interesting things, but at $4 each it's a good deal.
bunbun.jpg

+1 for To's mixed ham/pork bánh mi in Footscray, those things are delicious. I think they are now $3.80.
There's a food truck over over this way too, White Guy Cooks Thai - they do a pretty inauthentic, but nevertheless pretty yum pork belly bánh mi slider, 5 bucks a pop.

The carrot pickling is not hard, recipe here that I use.

http://battleofthebanhmi.com/how-to-make-banh-mi/pickling/pickling-daikon-and-carrots/

Where do you get the meat though, The Gong is not a cauldron of culture and i love making this sort of stuff.

Theres a new shop opposite the Enmore Theatre too, do a milk braised pork belly and one with Crackling. Crackling is the go, albeit f*ck me they can be slow at times. Rice Paper rolls also hit the spot ...

There's a nice viet bakery in Blaxland shops (in the Blue Mountains) that does these... tree-fitty I think.

Blink and you'll miss them tucked into the corner like a micro sandwhich bar

Quite nice... i like extra chilli ;)

I'll be staying in Chatswood for a couple of days, apparently 3 establishments there, I know what I'll be having for lunches :)

Bribie G said:
I'll be staying in Chatswood for a couple of days, apparently 3 establishments there, I know what I'll be having for lunches :)
Bribie, Sydney is the capital of Vietnamese bakeries, almost every suburb has at least one and they all do these rolls although quite often you wouldn't know unless you ask as most times it's just a little counter hidden away as Stux said. Try the bacon and cheese topped rolls while your there, nothing like your Aussie variety these are also dosed in garlic, bloody awesome.

Found a great shop next to Chatswood station. Cherry Lane Cakes. Nothing like a Banh Mi for brekky sitting on a bench in the mall leading to the station with the rushing commuters glaring hatefully. Evil laugh.

There are 2 we frequent in Melbourns north west.
1 on Sydney road Brunswick 100m north of Brunswick Rd on the east side of the road and
T&D hot bread in Glenroy it's my favourite place. It's on the ped crossing next to the TAB on Pascoe Vale Road, $4.50 but it's got warm BBQ pork and all the sides. If you see an Ambulance near by there probably getting one too!

damn $4 for one of them? I went to a shop about 2 years ago ordered a chick salad roll with avocado and almost died when she said it was $9.80 WTF! and that wasnt even in a rich part of town :S

Tex083 said:
1 on Sydney road Brunswick 100m north of Brunswick Rd on the east side of the road and
name and address please. love going to sydney road. visit A2 bakery for great leb pizza - spicey minced lamb with chilli and lemon juice. and their aswome spinach and fetta triangles. then across the road to the sweet place and their magnificent baklava.. just the best.

Tex083 said:
1 on Sydney road Brunswick 100m north of Brunswick Rd on the east side of the road
BarklyHot Bread Bakery?

Back