Charcoal Webber Cooking For Xmas

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agreed!

I got about halfway through cutting a keg in half to make my own spit, went to Mitre 10 to buy a couple more cut off discs for the angle grinder & then I saw their $99 spit roaster. SOLD!

First time I've ever done my own spit & I must say the results were spectacular. Cooked a Pork loin stuffed with apple, apricots & macadamia nuts & here's a pic of it almost done...

View attachment 59598

Tasted F'ing superb!

so good that I've just bought another Pork loin to spit on Satdee for my B'day

Apricot and Macadamia! Thats it, another this weekend....yummmm!!

christened the mitre 10 spit on news years eve, the bunnings one couldn't fit the suckler in depth, 4.5kg suckler, unfortunately i had to lose the head to fit it on

scored the skin, rubbed with heaps of salt and stuck it in the kegerator for 6 hours (can post a photo if someone wants to see the benefits of building a collar high enough :) )

3 hours before cooking time, washed the salt off, filled the belly with 2 heads of garlic cut in half, a bunch of shallots, heaps of star anise, a few cloves, heaps of szechuan peppercorns, heaps of dried chillies, some fennel seeds and then sewed it up and secured to the spit rod, basically hunan style, then rubbed chinese five spice and salt with a bit of oil on the skin and let it come to room temp

2 hours cooking time, starting medium, then higher in the last half hour, and my word was it the best way i've ever cooked pork, the flavours came through the most delicate, moist and tender flesh, and the skin was nice and crispy and full of salty spicy goodness, i'm doing this one again definitely

View attachment 59684

Awesome little spits these! I move the coals around the firebox to suit like Donburke!

I find Jack Russel, a nice cross between Staffy and Maltese....

With that limited space, you really want to go Fairy Penguin mate, delicious - way better than Platypus!

a little exotic dont you think ?

personally i find the common tabby readily available and a reliable crowd pleaser

Hi all.
Just giving you guys the heads up about Heat Beads.
If you are experiencing a so called Kerosine taste or smell i can assure you it is not coming from the normal 4kg or 10kg heat beads at all!
The ingredients used to make this product have no relation to anything even close to such chemical. This product has a binding agent which is used for food which you are consuming everyday. It has an oxadising agent which is used in every other similar product. The main ingredient is basically processed briquettes with charcoal.
if you are experiencing strange odours or tastes it could be due to other factors. Here are some tips!
1. keep your lid off your webber etc until all beads are ashed over (totally beige in color and no black areas showing). Until this time they are still lighting and are not ready for cooking (you will still have plenty of cooking heat after this as they are very cold until this stage)
2. make sure any firelighters used are totally spent and are non existent before placing lid on or putting food near them.
This should help along with following directions from webber and heat bead packaging. And never burn them inside as they will consume the rooms oxygen and create carbon monoxide and will kill you!!

Now for the additional info.
Heat beads easy lite go through a dipping process which adds the lighting fluid to the beads to avoid the need for firelighters and lighting these creates large flames until this is burnt off, so always keep clear of overhead structures and patio walls/ceilings etc. (and kids of course).
This is the same situation as having a separate firelighter lighting them and is of similar chemical compound

And if you are wondering how I know this, I have made them!!
Enjoy your cooking

Latest posts

Back