Mexican Cooking

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
citymorgue2 said:
Well basic tortilla mix is resting.
1cup plain flour
1 cuo wholemeal flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup water
4 tablespoons olive oil
slicing up some tenderized rump and making guacomole ready for dinner.
it made a killer tortilla but too thick and not soft enough for a soft taco imo. Fantastic for fahitas or quasadea (killer as a quasadea. I made extra dough for breakky quesadea with mushrooms and egg). But the kids were after something a little softer. Maybe 8 have to use 100% white flour and more oil or use lard to get that softer elastic consistency.

so post up ur best soft taco dough recipe

citymorgue2 said:
sorry yeah I checked them out and saw id have to get it shipped. I didnt want to pay the extra $. I also couldnt fibd out how much shipping was. They have some great stuff though. Will be getting corn flour for some corn tortillas. Yum
Yeah... the shipping quote thingy is on their checkout page. Can't see shipping on an individual item without going part way through checkout.

We are currently doing a website upgrade for them. Might have to have a chat to them about that..

Cheers
Dave

Love that a meth recipe was slipped into the thread and no one batted an eyelid.

Update:tried to be funny and send that text file to my mate. Accidentally sent it to outpatients at Sunshine hospital who just texted me my next appointment. That's going to be an awkward day.

For the SE QLD lads, hit Serranos Mexican Cantina in Beenleigh, the place is AMAZING. Husband and wife team, won every award known to man kind in QLD for its food. and its cheap. Was my local restaurant, I was spoilt for 3 years :lol:

Never cooked Mexican beyond the premade crap you get from the supermarkets, have tried others and its just not Serranos. I cook indian like my name is Sanjeev, cant get enough of it.

CM2

International cookware shop on Elizabeth street should have it. I've bought stuff off them way back when most places looked at you weird if said Spätzle.

I hope they still exist.

tried another recipe

3 cups plain flour
1/2 cup sunflower oil
1.5tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup warm water

made about 24 6inch soft tacos

absolute gold. trick was not to cook them too much otherwise they got got harder the longer you cooked them. trick is to just cook them so you think they might be slightly underdone. see for yourself.

soft taco.jpg

also cooked up beef and chicken and mixed with homemade fajita seasoning. just measure and mix it up. I added 2 tsp per 500g of meat. lovely. pungent yet subtle.
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon sugar
3/4 teaspoon crushed chicken bouillon cube
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon cumin

Couldn't you just roll those with a rolling pin?

Gives me an idea, there was once a craze about roti makers, basically a press that has both sides with an electric heating element in them and you place a ball of dough between and turn it on. It flattens and cooks and when the roti puffs up it makes the two parts open up and it's ready. Could use that. Or just cook on a hot plate (pancake pan).

practicalfool said:
Couldn't you just roll those with a rolling pin?Gives me an idea, there was once a craze about roti makers, basically a press that has both sides with an electric heating element in them and you place a ball of dough between and turn it on. It flattens and cooks and when the roti puffs up it makes the two parts open up and it's ready. Could use that. Or just cook on a hot plate (pancake pan).
yeah u can. I used a press to get the shape then used a rolling pin. The aluminum press isnt heavy enough to squeeze the dough out enough. A cast iron one would be a lot faster than rolling is all

Ah, if you strike out, look in an Indian store for a poori press. Those are only about 6 inches in diameter and have an enamel surface inside and are heavy cast iron. Round.

citymorgue2 said:
tried another recipe

3 cups plain flour
1/2 cup sunflower oil
1.5tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup warm water

made about 24 6inch soft tacos

absolute gold. trick was not to cook them too much otherwise they got got harder the longer you cooked them. trick is to just cook them so you think they might be slightly underdone.
left over tortillas for breakkie. Some sauteed mushrooms and scrambled eggs with bbq sauce and a coffee. Sooo good. Def a good recipe. Kids ate one each after they saw mine and had a bite.

Nice, When the tortillas start getting a bit old and dry I switch from tacos to quesadillas.

Hi,
If you are looking for a tortilla press you can get them from casa iberica on Johnson street in Melbourne. You can also pick up some yellow corn meal, masa harina, which is what tortillas are made from in mexico. Just add water and salt, slap a ball in between some cling film on the press and cook in a dry pan. Only thing is to adjust the water so that when you use a press they spread to the required thickness, if they don't go thin enough its generally too dry. wrap the cooked ones in a tea towel and they will stay warm. The smell you get from corn tortillas is fantastic.

http://casaibericadeli.com.au/

They also have fantatic Chorizo, amongst other wonderful goodies :)

Enjoy

Thx steve we have already covered casa iberi in the prev page.

Well ive had 5 of these bloody things today. Lots of salad, corn, bit of natural yoghurt and a bit of lean meat. Damn these soft taco recipe keeps well.

Unfortunately it must be the oil so im going to play with the recipe and reduce the oil and sub for water, beer whatever to makr them a bit healthier. I dont add oil to my pizza dough and very little to my bread so id like to keep the oil down if possible. If not its not a bit deal as well generally have homemade tacos/burritos once a fortnight in summer so its just a sometimes thing.

Mardoo said:
Go native and use lard.
if we had it I would. Saw a commwnt on a forum with sone redneck saying they had 4kg of bacon lard in the fridge and they use that. How the fk do u collect 4kg of bacon fat?!!!

citymorgue2 said:
if we had it I would. Saw a commwnt on a forum with sone redneck saying they had 4kg of bacon lard in the fridge and they use that. How the fk do u collect 4kg of bacon fat?!!!
Home Pig Kills?

Wow. That's extreme. My Mum always had her can of drippin' on the back of the stove.

Refried beans made with lard are like nothing else. Those with tortillas are a meal in my book. I just roast pork belly or duck from time to time and collect the fat from the pan. Get them from Asian butchers. Much cheaper!

No need to do some special process. I'm sure the abuelas (grandmothers) aren't gettin' too fancy about their lard.

And Punkin, what time is dinner? Seems you like the magic animal as much as I do.

Those ones really were magic. They were large blacks we fed up on vegie scraps and horse feed and grains. I love the heritage pork, so much better in flavour than regular pigs.

If we still had somewhere to raise em we'd still be doing it, but my mate sold his little farm. They ended costing us about $120 each at around 40kg dressed.

Our recent trip to the States saw SWMBO bring back 4 big bags of dried chilies - each a different variety that can't be had too readily here (don't ask me which - I just eat them). Expecting a few very interesting meals coming up.

Last night was a chili she's never made before (infact, she never really makes chili at all - usually my thing to make). Anyway, it was pretty great - nothing mind blowing but the difference in the chili sitting under everything was pretty apparent. Much more complex than the spicy capsicum that passes for chili in our supermarkets.

Back