Melbourne: Grain Bulk Buy - March 2014

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know what you mean. As an apartment brewer I've got grain from various BB's and my wife is raging about it. Think I need to cut back on storage.

FP are a fairly new business. If they can make some assured sales and thus offer lower, bulk prices then it helps them, helps us. GG and keg king also run bulk buys (or individuals organise through the business but the business is a willing, necessary participant), presumably for the same purpose - assured shifting of stock, help the brewing community.
Bulk buys in my experience also foster that sense of community, much more than just cheap grain prices do. Just the pick up and splitting of grain itself is a communal event.

Yeah, Manticle. I hear what you're saying, but homebrewers are a tight-arsed lot (like that's a BAD thing?) & folks will vote with their $'s.

If FullPint run a BB & I was to run one concurrently via G&G on AHB & the prices were lower through me (particularly for splits, where you're guaranteed to get a better price), who in their right mind would want to pay more?

I think FP would be shooting themselves in the foot by restricting a BB to only those who go through their website & not opening it up to everyone here, when they can do bigger/better business, get a better deal on the bulk grain order & get more punters to buy the rest of their products (which are definitely good & competitively priced).

1. There is no better deal on a bulk price. Unless we buy 40 sacks of any one grain, our buy price is the same.

2. People are more than welcome to organise their own Bulk Buy, nobody is saying you can't. Nobody is forcing you to get involved with this one.

3. This is our business, not yours. I find it pretty amazing that people have the audacity to have a go at us, simply for offering our customers access to cheaper stock, en masse - if they want.

4. Our profit margins are SMASHED in the bulk buy. We weigh, bag and seal all our own splits. It's a lot of work. We do it, as we make a few dollars and we believe it offers our customers something unique.

5. Anyone can be a customer of ours. We and "it" are not exclusive.

If you still have an issue, get in touch.

I should also add, our Bulk Buy prices are very close to Bulk Buys ran through G&G, KK and FP of recent years. With those BB's, there's an AHB member who does all the work and the members handle the splits. The organiser usually scores themselves a booty of beer for their efforts (aah, those were the days).

We handle all that stuff, including all follow up for any out of stock malt, ourselves.

The range of malts we offer at our Bulk Buy, and the service that backs it up, is incomparable.

I'm right with the FP guys on this one, if you wish to jump in on the BB, I'm sure anybody is more than welcome. There is no join up fee.

Also has anybody else had that uneasy feeling when you transfer hundreds of dollars online to a person you may not have met with a promise of some shiny bling at the end of the road.

At least this way you have the peice of mind that your dealing with a credible business.

I don't buy everything I can from FP because for me they aren't quite local and I do like to share the love, but I'll be involved in the grain BB and I also know exactly where I'll be buying my blichman beer gun when I do decide to get it.

I have always been happy with the products and the service.

I'm a BB lover, as seen in the past with my 500kg orders. I think this time just 200kg of Gladfields malts for testing is enough!

Thanks FP for your efforts, looking forward to getting down there on pickup - also: you guys should run a demo on an SS unit whilst this BB is on, perhaps have a BBQ????

Just ideas ;) I will be down there with my customary hangover and no shoes to collect after the BB pick up time has elapsed. Cheers!

I'm confused as to why FP are limiting the BB take-up by using their website. There's likely to be a similar amount if discussion here, as there is for other bulk buys, so AHB members should be as aware that the buy is taking place. If some forum members decide it's too much hassle to use a different order method, then I'd wonder how motivated they are anyway.
It seems to me that all BBs have a retailer & an organiser, and that these are generally separate entities. In cases where they are not (like this), I'm not sure why they should refrain from using their business infrastructure to manage it.
Is the subtext that the bulk buy should be run altruistically?

syl said:
I will be down there with my customary hangover and no shoes to collect after the BB pick up time has elapsed. Cheers!
:lol:

Prince Imperial said:
I'm confused as to why FP are limiting the BB take-up by using their website.
We're trying to bring people to our site.

It's not a big money making exercise, it's a marketing exercise - that also serves as a bit of a "meet and greet", or possibly a "meat and greet" - if we had a BBQ.

Spiesy said:
We're trying to bring people to our site.

It's not a big money making exercise, it's a marketing exercise - that also serves as a bit of a "meet and greet", or possibly a "meat and greet" - if we had a BBQ.
Sorry Spiesy, I should rephrase that. I don't see HOW it limits the take-up. If forum members don't want to use your site to order then I'd suggest the issue is not one of convenience, but a different motivation.
I hope it's a roaring success for you!

Prince Imperial said:
Sorry Spiesy, I should rephrase that. I don't see HOW it limits the take-up. If forum members don't want to use your site to order then I'd suggest the issue is not one of convenience, but a different motivation.
I hope it's a roaring success for you!
Aah, my bad, thanks for clarifying :)

Maybe the Merri Mashes could run a BBQ on the day?

if people ain't happy with the way FP's running there BB..start your own..i am not affilated with FULL PINT

Personally I didn't think it was a hard concept. Doesnt matter where it is run from. If you are interested then get involved if you are not or think you can get a better price elsewhere then don't get involved.

Apart from the fact Cocko is here holding a Vietnamese rubber farmer to my groin* insisting I buy, I hope he isn't going to do it for the whole AHB community.

*facts might not be entirely accurate.

Public Apology!

Sorry FP guys. I fully understand the marketing strategy to draw folks to your website.

I really, REALLY shouldn't post when I've had a skinful & having a blue with the missus.. You guys copped it... :blush:

I feel so torn....

I love MartinOC for his awesomeness at stewarding and fostering the community spirit in the comp scene. And he delivered my cubes for me.

I love Cocko for his sexual deviancy and the fact he let me brew with him (don't ask what he did with the mop handle)

Never met Spiesy - but he's a new dad and Richmond supporter, so he cant be too bad.

Love Full Pint and their prices in general.

Will you kids just stop your bickering - it's like asking me to pick my favourite child.

Nullnvoid said:
Apart from the fact Cocko is here holding a Vietnamese rubber farmer to my groin* ....

*facts might not be entirely accurate.
which fact isn't true.

Cocko isn't here?
He isn't holding a Vietnamese rubber farmer?
It wasn't your groin- (it was another body part) he was holding it to?
It wasn't your groin- (it was someone elses) he was holding it to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back