Melbourne: Grain Bulk Buy - March 2014

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ripper, thanks Spiesy. Are you available this - or next - or any Saturday?

I'm also meant to pickup some acidulated malt(?) for Symphony1975 ...

I will be able to pick up next eek some time...or maybe this sunday if you are available???... Unless you are down my way !!! ... I am playing golf the next few days..

Hey Guys,

I will send a PM [Later - in a bit of a rush ATM]

Pick up available from BB location, Mon - Fri 7.30am - 4pm or we can arrange after hours - in Warrandyte or Reservoir...

Thanks again for your patience and we hope to make pick ups as easy as possible.

PM to follow... tomorrow.

Have a great long weekend.

Cheers

BB location was next to Full Pint, for those playing at home. Pickup will be from FP.

Cocko said:
Hey Guys,

I will send a PM [Later - in a bit of a rush ATM]

Pick up available from BB location, Mon - Fri 7.30am - 4pm or we can arrange after hours - in Warrandyte or Reservoir...

Thanks again for your patience and we hope to make pick ups as easy as possible.

PM to follow... tomorrow.

Have a great long weekend.

Cheers
Cheers PM'd

All you regulars all stocked w/ grain at the moment? I am down to under 200kg's!!! :blink: :blink:

I'm down not much and I just bought 2kg of assorted hops..

I think full pint were looking at a grain bb next month?

Tahoose said:
I'm down not much and I just bought 2kg of assorted hops..

I think full pint were looking at a grain bb next month?
Yeah, was chatting to Cocko and he just said that! Sweet!

DU99 said:
could do with some speciality grains
Yep me too.. Rye is the main one that comes to mind, although I think I'd be up for half a sack of Munich also. Plus some crystals.

I must have been the only one who didn't get on last time :ph34r:

oh please have another bb before Christmas , other wise a self imposed dry month may be on the cards

mick

Hey guys, yep - we'll be rolling out another Bulk Buy within the next couple of weeks.

As always, the Bulk Buy will be ran through Full Pint, and will be announced through our newsletter and website.

Cheers.

... Bulk base grains ... Yes

This bulk buy is active.. Is this buy going up here in bulk buys ?????? Prefer this rather than your web site .. Thanks mate..

Grainer said:
This bulk buy is active.. Is this buy going up here in bulk buys ?????? Prefer this rather than your web site .. Thanks mate..
+1

AHB is also neutral ground. I don't think the next bulk buy at keg king is going to be hosted on the FP website.

Who's hosting the next BB at Kegking?

The way I see it the boys are now running a business and using their facilities to offer bulk grain at low prices. From what I gather they're both doing this as a second job so probably got their hands full without maintaining an additional thread and spreadsheet. Throw into the mix Spiesy's new bubs and Cocko's penchant for transvestite pageants, I imagine they don't get alot of spare time atm.

If using their website is the only catch to getting cheap grain, I'm a happy man.

Makes me wonder about the economics of a bulk buy. If it's just cheap grain, then you can get cheap grain at a GG sale1 and I know JW malt at KK is close enough2 to the bulk buy price. All the convenience of visiting a store without the bother of participating in a bulk buy. On top of that, if you buy a GG gift voucher, then you can pick up your 'bulk buy' at any time.

As for specialty malts they are quite expensive at the shops but they also make up a small part of your batches anyway so as a percentage of cost are not that significant. I've also found that using up 5kg from a split of melanoiden malt to be difficult. This is where the GG grain book makes a lot of sense. Even though it's expensive compared to the bulk buy, it's super convenient to order just 1kg of melanoiden at any time without the problem of malt going stale in your cupboard.

Let's say you buy 6 bags of JW ale in this bulk buy* with a potential saving of $48. Worst case scenario like me you don't live near full pint so $8 petrol. Is $6.60 per bag worth the inconvenience of your purchase being confined to a bulk buy timetable?

So if price isn't that good a reason for a bulk buy, then that leaves one other thing which is access to ingredients. This bulk buy* I suspect carried more varieties and brands available to purchase than is commonly held by your LHBS. Access to ingredients is especially relevant for the NFH bulk buy since nobody stocks his malt.

TL;DR I think bulk buys make sense for access to ingredients, not for price.

1. ex. wey munich2 $52 at last sale vs $51 in this bulk buy*.
2. ex. JW ale @ KK $48.10 vs $40 in this bulk buy*.
* Referring to the bulk buy of this thread, not the new one.

Different strokes for different folks.
The BB is especially for base malt, where 25kg is not actually that much when you chew through 4-5kg per normal-sized batch.
If the difference of $10-20 per bag is not an issue, then BBs are probably not your thing. For me, every penny counts so BBs are great when i'm ready to stock up. Also, i don't have a problem w the BB schedules - i'd prefer to do a single massive purchase every now and then and have very grain i'm likely to need at home already, rather than go to the LHBS every time i want to brew something to get that extra 500g of X.
The 5-way splits for specialty malts is great for most spec's to access a similar saving.

For better or worse, BBs tend to result in going home with a ridiculous amount of grain, with which you can then fill your treasure room and gloat like a fat dragon.
Also, having all this grain on hand can encourage you to have a crack at different styles, given you've got the stuff sitting around anyway...
BB FTW!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back