Little Creatures Quiet American

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I could have sworn that I read somewhere (I think on the first email that came from LC) that it was T-58 - a dried yeast.

Reason I think I remember it, is that I was quite gobsmacked that they were using dried yeast.

Goomba

If it's T58 then it'll be a pretty average beer due to that yeast being pretty average.

Sorry Ross - I couldn't help myself. :p

If it's not very Belgiany, it's probably 1762.

I could have sworn that I read somewhere (I think on the first email that came from LC) that it was T-58 - a dried yeast.

Reason I think I remember it, is that I was quite gobsmacked that they were using dried yeast.

Goomba
Not exactly on topic but when I visited Seven Sheds in Tasmania, he used dried yeast for all his beers except the Belgian as the yeast contributed so much of the flavour. If they (LC) had used a dry yeast I can't see how they'd get the Belgian flavour, you'd end up with an APA (some may say this is infinitely more desirable, Ash I'm looking at you). I suppose they could ferment it ridiculously warm.

Stanmore Cellars near Stanmore train station normally gets the single batches as well as Vintage Cellars on King St Newtown. Haven't actually checked there for Quiet American, just thought I'd give you some hints from my past experience.

Good luck!

Jez

Or camperdown cellars camperdown/stanmore, or Annandale cellars according to this map, a fair few pubs too: Map

Or camperdown cellars camperdown/stanmore, or Annandale cellars according to this map, a fair few pubs too: Map

Thanks for that, I looked at Vintage Cellars Newtown and Chippendale cellars last week, but they may have gotten it in in the meantime.

Right Nev, tell us what you really think. IIRC, you're not a big fan of Belgians (the beer, not the people?.
Doesnt remind me of a Belgain.
I really think If I had a choice between that beer and water I would have H2O.
One of the worst, no the worst beer LC have made.
Nev

Doesnt remind me of a Belgain.
I really think If I had a choice between that beer and water I would have H2O.
One of the worst, no the worst beer LC have made.
Nev
Well a mate and I had a tasting on Saturday, got very messy drinking my 7.5% APA, but before that we both thought it was quite good. Personally I thought that the Marzen was a bit meh, the proof of which is that I still have some left. It wasn't bad, it just didn't grab me.

I seem to get a hot alcohol character in taste more that actual burn, I have had 2 and I would drink again if nothing else was on offer :) I preferred Dreadnought

I thought it had a lot of Belgian yeast character and very little US hop character present.

Does anyone know why the best before date is JANUARY 2013?

Have they given it a BB life of only 9 months or has it been in the bottles for nearly 4 months before distribution ? If it has been bottled for 4 months that would explain the lack of US hops!

If it's T58 then it'll be a pretty average beer due to that yeast being pretty average.

Sorry Ross - I couldn't help myself. :p

If it's not very Belgiany, it's probably 1762.

T58 is okay, used in a Belgian Pale that you can feed to Euroswillers, who aren't beer nerds, if fermented at low temps (18 degrees) for a neutral flavour.

Took a keg of it to a poker night on Saturday. A beer nerd would be aghast at how 'boring' it is, but there was enough spice to suggest it was different, but not the crazy clove/banana that non beer nerds (and non belgian/weiss/wit drinkers) would be too frightened of.

Goomba

Drinking one right now. I like it. I'm reminded in a way of 8 Wired's Sauvin Saison in that both the belgian esters and hops mingle equally with each other and neither seems to dominate, which is what I'd expect from a (American/Kiwi) hoppy belgian ale. Having brewed a few ales in that style this year after being inspired by 8 Wired's and Murray's Punk Monk (loved getting the last bottle at The Scratch last Saturday night....) I can say its a tricky thing to get right. It won't be everyone's cup of tea but I'm going back for more......Tomorrow.

Have been drinking one for an hour, letting it warm.

Getting some banana, kind of US hops, but then muddled to me. Getting a spicy heat in the aftertaste too.

Really getting a clash between the hops and yeasties.

Have always heard how some don't like the US hops with Belgian yeast and getting an understanding of why from this.

Will persist as it warms, but not a favourite so far...

Kev

Compare it to a say the Stone Cali-Belgique, or the Belgian IPA I once had at Het Anker in Mechelen, and you realise that the LC offering is not a particularly good example of a Belgian IPA. I'm not knocking LC as I really like all their mainstream offerings - but the single batches have been very hit and miss for mine. The DIPA and the Quiet American have been two of the weakest IMO. Although I loved the East Kent Goldings, the Brown Ale for example. But I have to say I actually much prefer what is coming out of the JS Mad Brewers.

Hops and belgian yeast can work in harmony, but they can't be harsh grassy hops, and an overly phenolic yeast. In order to work, it needs to be the "noblest" of citrisy hops married with the most elegent belgian yeast strains. A belgian IPA is not an aggressive beer but a thing of beauty (it is a belgian beer after all).

Getting fruity white wine now...

Thanks for that, I looked at Vintage Cellars Newtown and Chippendale cellars last week, but they may have gotten it in in the meantime.

No word on reception time as yet (if at all).

Quite liking it now - been in the glass for three hours though.

Lucky it was released in Autumn - bugger of a way to drink a pint though...

Compare it to a say the Stone Cali-Belgique, or the Belgian IPA I once had at Het Anker in Mechelen, and you realise that the LC offering is not a particularly good example of a Belgian IPA. I'm not knocking LC as I really like all their mainstream offerings - but the single batches have been very hit and miss for mine. The DIPA and the Quiet American have been two of the weakest IMO. Although I loved the East Kent Goldings, the Brown Ale for example. But I have to say I actually much prefer what is coming out of the JS Mad Brewers.

Hops and belgian yeast can work in harmony, but they can't be harsh grassy hops, and an overly phenolic yeast. In order to work, it needs to be the "noblest" of citrisy hops married with the most elegent belgian yeast strains. A belgian IPA is not an aggressive beer but a thing of beauty (it is a belgian beer after all).
Can't say I agree with that. The Belgico-Americans I've had line up pretty much with this one. And I'd say that any IPA must be "aggressive" to qualify for that style, particularly the US varieties.

Back