Little Creatures Single Batch Ipa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One thing I noticed when sampling the single batch was that my House Beer (LCPA style) actually tastes, looks, smells pretty close. I was considering subbing Munich II for Munich I to get it a bit lighter in colour to match the pale, but after having a few of these IPAs, Im pretty happy with it.

Heres my house ale;
70% Pale Malt
20% Munich II
5% Wheat Malt
5% CaraPils

Mash 66 60min
60min Boil

East Kent Goldings (60 min) 20IBU
Chinook (60 min) 10 IBU
Cascade (20 min) 5 IBU
Chinook (20 min) 5 IBU
Cascade (10 min) 5 IBU
Chinook (10 min) 5 IBU
Cascade (5 min) 5 IBU
Chinook (5 min) 5 IBU
45IBU

1.5g/L Cascade (0 min)
1.5g/L Cascade Dry Hops

US 05 @18C
1056 SG
1014 FG

Thanks for the responses AlexT looking forward to the Brown Ale.

As for the Pilsner I bought a case a few weeks back and there was 1 bottle in there that was the old packaging was confused as to what was going on now I understand. Cant say I was paying attention to notice any difference from the rest of em.

Here's a possible recipe. Just using the info they sent out in the newsletter.
Whadya reckon?

LC IPA

Original Gravity (OG): 1.054 (P): 13.5
Colour (SRM): 8.1 (EBC): 16.0
Bitterness (IBU): 53.4 (Tinseth)

90% Pale Ale Malt
5% Munich I
3% Caramalt
2% Crystal 120

3 g/l Cascade (5% Alpha) @ 90 Minutes (Boil)
2 g/l Cascade (5% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
2 g/l Cascade (5% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 66C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 90 Minutes

Fermented at 18c with Wyeast 1056 - American Ale

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Tried this for the first time recently, and I was well impressed ::drools::. If only it were 49 a carton here. I went through a stage of buying pint cartons of LCPA for a long time, and to get it any less than $65 you were dreaming. I imagine that $49 is for freemantle only... should be interesting to see how much they are here, if it's regular pricing I'ma jump on a carton as soon as I see it :)

So, i popped my bottle of the single batch IPA tonight that i picked up last week and unfortunatly im disappointed.

Well balanced, sweet toffee and strong hop aroma. Good smooth sweet crystal caramel character, moderate palate, lingering bitterness, well balanced and deep hoppy cascade aromas.

So, whay am i disappointed? Well there are some light spicy phenolics, overtly spritzy carbonation, loose moussy head and kinda becoming dimensional.

Looks like i might have myself a bad bottle/bottle infection. Would be the 1st ive ever had from Little Creatures. :(

still tastes good but it looks like its beginning to head south. highest carbonation ive seen in a commercial beer to date.

Bummer. <_<

Quoting just incase if the LC boys are following these threads.

Quoting just incase if the LC boys are following these threads.

Just to gauge your tastes how do you think the Mikkeller stateside IPA was compared to this?

Edit: missed a word

Just to gauge your tastes how you think the Mikkeller stateside IPA was compared to this?

how many beers do you think i buy! :lol:

Havn't had it mate, sorry. Is it quite similar on the palate?

how many beers do you think i buy! :lol:

Havn't had it mate, sorry. Is it quite similar on the palate?

Awww... lol I saw the range you had last Christmas and expect you'd had it already.

My favourite IPAs to date so far.

Stateside IPA - Mikkeller
Hercules Double IPA - Great Divide Brewing Company

Nah it's not nearly the same as the LCIPA. The Mikkeller has more hop tannins and slightly more alcohol warmth while I think the LCIPA is more like a strong Pale Ale.

Edit: missed the second part.

Hercules Double IPA - Great Divide Brewing Company

Get yourself a Titan IPA. Sex in a glass. Well a pine forest actually. :icon_drool2:

Lagunitas IPA is also very very good. Ive got a bottle of saranac IPA awaiting me, cant wait.

Also Southern Tier IPA is quite good as well.

Get yourself a Titan IPA. Sex in a glass. Well a pine forest actually. :icon_drool2:

Lagunitas IPA is also very very good. Ive got a bottle of saranac IPA awaiting me, cant wait.

I plan to get my hands on the Titan once The International Beer shop has it in stock. I haven't heard of that second one.

And I thought the Southern Tier Imperial IPA was was a bit average. Maybe I didn't server it warm enough. I didn't think it was balanced that well.

I'll go on a IPA hunt next time they've got more from Great Divide Brewing Company and get the Titan, Hercules, Un*earthly, lagunitas (if they have it) and a couple of rogue IPAs for good measure.

Please save yourself the dissapointment of getting excited about the saranac. Not great...

Only tried the hercules. Would love to have the titan.

Ahh.... yeah the Imperial is 11% and a bit :huh:

I liked the Imperial more than the regular actually. I thought it was a hop riot. What part of the balance didnt you like?

I liked the Imperial more than the regular actually. I thought it was a hop riot. What part of the balance didnt you like?

The malt flavours were overwhelming the hops/tannins. It was like a malty alcohol warmth.

I actaully quite liked the saranac IPA, despite the condecention of so many, it is quite similar to the LC SB IPA

Latest posts

Back