Little Creatures Single Batch Ipa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

argon

firmitas, utilitas, venustas
Reaction score
Got the following email last week from Little Creatures, (as Im sure a lot of others here have got the same);

Hey Hopheads,
Introducing a little something we are (just quietly)a bit excited about....the brewers have been busy in the brewery producing a one off Single Batch India Pale Ale!
The first in what we are planning as a series of limited release, single batch beers which we will bottle and keg, our IPA is a celebration of a hop that we have fallen in love with for a while now...the Cascade! With a heap of Cascade hops in the kettle, whirlpool and of course in the hopback, we utilised Pale, Munich, light and dark Crystal malts to create an ale thats afew shades darker than pale ale, and a fair bit hoppier! Weve taken the IPA through primary fermentation with our ale yeast and followed it up with a secondary conditioning in tank, leaving a beer with slight haze and one that we reckon is a nice little tribute to beer and brewing!
Packed off into kegs and pint bottles, keep an eye out for this one at your local in the coming weeks.As it was only a single batch itll only be available while supplies last!
For those of you in WA or NSW, weve got a couple of special events coming up with the release of the IPA...
For those near Freo, come join the brewers enjoying a couple of IPAs at ourBrewhouse bar, Fremantle, Friday 12th March from 4pm.
Feel free to come join us and say hi to the brewers - theyll be the ones in the orange shirts.

Anyone know where to get a hold of a couple of bottles of this? Was going to have a quick look at Era on Melbourne Street this arvo, or perhaps Grand Central Bottlo.

They gad a nice selection of bottles at Grand Central Cellars on Saturday, but no LC-IPA. And none at 5ifth Element bottlo either (stopped in for a couple Alpha Pale finishers on the way home from the city). Didn't check Era or Nectar...
I'm hoping the Platform manages to get a keg or two....

*Please don't take this post as negative at all*

I think that this announcement really sums up the australian microbrewery scene at the moment, well, at least in a way. WOW! A microbrewery doing an IPA? Will wonders never cease? I don't think LC releasing a single batch IPA is really announcement worthy in some ways (it should be a good beer, and, yes it does deserve an announcement to generate some excitement about it - and if I stumble across one, I will definitly give it a try).

Microbreweries in other parts of the world are leagues ahead of us - scotland, italy and america. New Zealand could be argued to be a step in front of us.

I think it is interesting to see where australia's microbrewery scene is at the moment, announcements about a cascade driven IPA...still, we are just doing catchup. We can't run before we can walk, and IMO we are still crawling.

/me runs to wardrobe to put on flamesuit ;)

Massively OT :icon_offtopic: :icon_offtopic: but

I agree that the microbrewery industry in Australia is way behind places like the US and Europe. With prohibitive excise taxes. The wine industry thrives because of its socially acceptable image.

Why have 2 separate tax/excise structures based on the product being produced. All Australian manufacturers, distillers, brewers and distributors of alcoholic beverages not subject to wine equalisation tax have a responsibility under the Excise Tariff Act 1921 to pay excise duty. The Wine Equalisation Tax rate is 29% on across the board, regardless of ABV. Whereas beer starts at 29.36% for ABV less than 3% up to 34.22% above 3.5% ABV. It might seem small amounts but when you consider that the ATO took $1.7 billion from beer excise in 02-03 the money stacks up.

Now consider that the US Tax rates for beer is an average of $0.278per gallon or in percentage terms 7% thats a huge discrepancy. The same year the ATO took $AU1.7billion from beer excise the US took $US8 billion (approx $AU14billion). In 2003 our population was almost 20million, whereas the US had a population of 290millon. Based on the ATO rate they should have been taking almost $AU25 billion.

Were getting screwed and dont get me started on what it costs to own a license and run a pub

Massively OT :icon_offtopic: :icon_offtopic: but

I agree that the microbrewery industry in Australia is way behind places like the US and Europe. With prohibitive excise taxes. The wine industry thrives because of it's socially acceptable image.

Why have 2 separate tax/excise structures based on the product being produced. All Australian manufacturers, distillers, brewers and distributors of alcoholic beverages not subject to wine equalisation tax have a responsibility under the Excise Tariff Act 1921 to pay excise duty. The Wine Equalisation Tax rate is 29% on across the board, regardless of ABV. Whereas beer starts at 29.36% for ABV less than 3% up to 34.22% above 3.5% ABV. It might seem small amounts but when you consider that the ATO took $1.7 billion from beer excise in 02-03 the money stacks up.

Now consider that the US Tax rates for beer is an average of $0.278per gallon or in percentage terms 7% that's a huge discrepancy. The same year the ATO took $AU1.7billion from beer excise the US took $US8 billion (approx $AU14billion). In 2003 our population was almost 20million, whereas the US had a population of 290millon. Based on the ATO rate they should have been taking almost $AU25 billion.

We're getting screwed and don't get me started on what it costs to own a license and run a pub

That about sums it up.

Here's one for you. Qantas have been banning full strength beer at Qantas lounge and planes from mine sites to Perth. I think they are banning spirits too. But wine - still available no problem at all (despite the high ABV). Makes me sick.

*Please don't take this post as negative at all*

I think that this announcement really sums up the australian microbrewery scene at the moment, well, at least in a way. WOW! A microbrewery doing an IPA? Will wonders never cease? I don't think LC releasing a single batch IPA is really announcement worthy in some ways (it should be a good beer, and, yes it does deserve an announcement to generate some excitement about it - and if I stumble across one, I will definitly give it a try).

Microbreweries in other parts of the world are leagues ahead of us - scotland, italy and america. New Zealand could be argued to be a step in front of us.

I think it is interesting to see where australia's microbrewery scene is at the moment, announcements about a cascade driven IPA...still, we are just doing catchup. We can't run before we can walk, and IMO we are still crawling.

/me runs to wardrobe to put on flamesuit ;)

Well sure we are behind, the craft beer scene has been going on for decades in the States.
Baby steps right? You can't expect a 13% brett barrel-aged imperial stout to sell well to the general public in Australia at the moment, you can't even in America at the moment (Craft brewing has under 10% of the market!)

That about sums it up.

Here's one for you. Qantas have been banning full strength beer at Qantas lounge and planes from mine sites to Perth. I think they are banning spirits too. But wine - still available no problem at all (despite the high ABV). Makes me sick.

What's that? Mine workers' refusal to drink wine? Because that is the reason. Not some snobby two-tier bullshit.

Ok Back on topic, you can get LC's IPA from the following outlets!!!! this was emailed to me yesterday

Cheers

Brett

<H3 style="TEXT-ALIGN: center">It's a single Batch and a very limited release and it's hitting bottle shops now!</H3>Our IPA has been bottled in our Pint Size 568ml bottles for extra enjoyment, it's packed with bitterness (55IBU's) and flavour from using only Cascade Hops (you know we love them) and all balanced out with lots of malt....read more below to find a retailer stocking it near you.

ipa_logo_sm.png

For a list of Single Batch IPA stockists around Australia...click on the red read more button ...

WA
  • Belmont Fine Wines
  • Big Brews
  • Broken Hill Hotel
  • Cape Cellars
  • Caves House
  • CB East Fremantle
  • Cellarbrations at Carlisle
  • Clancy's Fremantle
  • Cobblers Tavern
  • Como Liquor Store
  • Corkers Cellars
  • CY Oconnor Pub CB
  • DeVine Cellars
  • Frankel Street Liquor
  • Goose
  • Greenmount LS
  • Harbourne & Cambridge
  • International Beer Shop
  • Liquor Barons Falcon
  • Liquor Barons Mt Hawthorn
  • Liquor Barons Mt Lawley
  • Liquor Barons Ocean Reef
  • Liquor Barons Swanbourne
  • Leederville Liquor Store
  • Liquor Barons Carlisle
  • Liquor Barons Mundaring
  • Liquor in the Valley
  • Lucky Shag
  • Malt Market
  • Mane Liquor
  • Manning Fine Wines
  • Margaret River Hotel
  • Knights Inn
  • Old Bridge Cellars
  • Paddington Ale House
  • Prevelly Liquor
  • Redcliffe Liquor Store
  • Rose Hotel
  • Royal Palms Resort Busselton
  • Sandringham Cellars
  • Sassellas
  • Settlers Liquor
  • The Freo Doctor
  • The Karralee Tavern
  • The Melbourne
  • The Norfolk Hotel
  • The Raffles Hotel
  • The ReStore
  • The South Beach Hotel
  • The Windsor Hotel
  • Tuart Hill Liquor
  • Wine Box Nedlands
  • Wine Box Shenton Park
Victoria
  • Bimbo Deluxe
  • Black Heart & Sparrow
  • Brunswick Hotel
  • Carwyn Cellars
  • Cherry Tree Hotel
  • Decanters by the Bay
  • Equinox
  • Fox Hotel
  • Great Britain Hotel
  • Highton Cellars
  • IGA Northcote
  • Local Taphouse
  • Lucky Coq
  • MacAuley Clean Skins
  • Maria Coffee House
  • McCoppins Abbotsford
  • McCoppins Fitzroy
  • Miss Libertine
  • Monacellars
  • Napier Hotel
  • Pig & Whistle
  • Pre Mix King Warrnambool
  • Prince Albert Williamstown
  • Purvis Cellars
  • Rathdowne Cellars
  • Roof Top
  • Roysten Hotel
  • Scottish Chief
  • Slow Beer
  • Smith St Cellars
  • Three Degrees
  • Vaucluse Hotel
  • Yarraville Cellars
  • Yellowbird Cafe
  • And of Course, Little Creatures Dining Hall
NSW
  • 42 Harris ST Cellars
  • Albion Place Hotel
  • All Bar Nun
  • Amatos
  • Australian Hotel
  • Barzura
  • Belrose Hotel
  • Bottle O Lambton
  • Bottle O Wickham
  • Bottlo on Beaumont
  • Braza Leichardt
  • Brookvale Cellars
  • Camperdown Cellars Darlinghurst
  • Camperdown Cellars HO
  • Camperdown Cellars Kingston
  • Carringbah Hotel
  • Castle Cove Cellars
  • Chippendale Cellars
  • City Cellars
  • Clarendon Hotel
  • Clock Hotel
  • Coledale Cellars
  • Courthouse Hotel
  • Cremorne Cellars
  • Durham Castle
  • Eleven
  • Ensemble Theatre
  • Glebe Point Rd Cellars
  • Glenhaven Rd Cellars
  • Grand Kiama
  • Kinglseys on the Wharf
  • Jims Cellars
  • Lapstone Hotel
  • Leura cellars
  • Local Taphouse
  • Macquarie
  • Mary Ellen Hotel
  • Mosman Cellars
  • Newport Arms
  • North Sydney Cellars
  • Parlour Wine Room
  • Plonk Bottle shop Canberra
  • Porters Chatswood
  • Porters Northwood
  • Prince of Wales
  • Pyrmont Cellars
  • Red Bottle Alexandria
  • Red Bottle Pitt
  • Red Bottle Sussex
  • Royal Prince Alfred Yacht Club
  • Sackville Hotel
  • Shorty's
  • Stanmore Cellars
  • Steve's Cool Booze
  • The Chelsea Hotel
  • The Longueville Hotel
  • Thirroul Cellars
  • Warners at the Bay
Queensland
  • Belvedere Hotel
  • Bubbles
  • Chalk & Cheese Auchenflower
  • Chalk & Cheese Kelvin Grove
  • Chalk & Cheese Teneriffe
  • Chalk & Cheese The Valley
  • Chalk & Cheese West End
  • Chill Bar
  • Cru Bar
  • Drinx Boondall
  • Drinx Camp Hill
  • Drinx Cannon Hill
  • Drinx Ibis Central
  • Drinx Margate
  • Drinx Morningside
  • Drinx Rothwell
  • Drinx Sandgate
  • Era
  • Festival Cellars
  • River City
  • Full Moon Hotel
  • Grand Central Hotel
  • Iceworks
  • Lock N Load
  • Melbourne Hotel
  • Nectar
  • Orient Hotel
  • Pig & Whistle Riverside
  • Pink Poodle
  • Purple Palate Queen St
  • QA Hotel
  • River City
  • Sardine Tin
  • Scales and Ales
  • Spiros Embassy Hotel
  • Spiros Paddington
  • Spiros Roma St
  • Spiros Toowong
  • Spotted cow
  • St Elmo
  • Stewarts Ascot
  • Stewarts Portside
  • Stewarts The Barracks
  • Story Bridge
  • The Beach Hotel
  • The Vine Group
  • Uber
  • Uni of QLD Staff Club
  • Urbane
  • Wine Emporium
footer_703x16.png

picked up a carton last night from LC Freo. Will try one tonight.... Nice that they put out a carton of 12 pint size bottles. $49 isnt too bad either.

picked up a carton last night from LC Freo. Will try one tonight.... Nice that they put out a carton of 12 pint size bottles. $49 isnt too bad either.

I hereby challenge you to review the WHOLE carton in one sitting, then report back

just tried the first landed pint bottles in vic at the purvis tasting tonihgt. Jai's a legend made sure he topped us up all night (dangerous when your tables next to LC's ;)).

What a beer. 5.4% and 55IBU's according to the label..some might not say a true IPA but bloody hell they have done it well. Its bright, its hoppy and its smoooooth. I personally love it. Hates off to Lil Creatures for this one.

I'm sorry to announce that Boagsy's Little Critters IPA will only be available in Tasmania.

A delicious brew using the hops grown on the kids swings from the back yard which were full of aphids, spiders and grubs.

just tried the first landed pint bottles in vic at the purvis tasting tonihgt. Jai's a legend made sure he topped us up all night (dangerous when your tables next to LC's ;)).

What a beer. 5.4% and 55IBU's according to the label..some might not say a true IPA but bloody hell they have done it well. Its bright, its hoppy and its smoooooth. I personally love it. Hates off to Lil Creatures for this one.

I certainly agree with the sentiments regarding the cost of craft beer in Australia vs the US. Outrageous, and I'm not sure excise is the only factor. Having said that, this particular beer looks like it's getting closer to the mark on the price ($49 for 12 pints is not too bad, what's a carton of 24 stubbies worth?), availability (thanks for the list, did you subscribe somewhere?) and style (boldly hoppy) fronts. I'll be picking some up Friday.

Hey Guys,

The list (which was pasted above) is on our website. I think you can join up to the hophead email list somewhere on the website. The email updates are something that have been few and far between, but we are gradually getting better at it....

https://www.littlecreatures.com.au/Happenin...menu-id-76.html

Thanks to anyone who could come to the Local Taphouse in Darlinghurst last night - was fun, and the IPA was going down a treat. Yes, it is quite a smooth rendition of an IPA - attenuation probably a touch short of where I wanted it which means it is slightly more "balanced" than intended, but hey - it was jumping in with 20,000L and just seeing what happened; I think it goes down a treat and am quite happy with it.... (well, I am biased, of course!)

Anyway, on the topic of craft beer in Australia.... yes, excise has a bit to do with it. General public knowledge/preferences have a bit to do with it as well.... but I feel some real momentum being created - a lot of beer lovers are finally getting more vocal and supportive (remember, people have to buy this stuff!) - all this means that slowly we can branch out, be more brave, and push the limits a bit. And you know, we have been at this for 10 years so far, and the foundations were laid probably 25 years ago, so it seems changing the Australian market involves some dedication... and all of the people like us can do it....

Cheers, and thanks for the support.

Alex

Good work with IPA Alex T - and for putting it pintzilla bottles! Any hints on future one off batches? Taking requests? hehe

Next one will probably be brewed early June for early July release....

Something with lots of malt and lots of hops is on the cards....

Next one will probably be brewed early June for early July release....

Something with lots of malt and lots of hops is on the cards....

How about something through a randall on a regular basis?

Hey Guys,

The list (which was pasted above) is on our website. I think you can join up to the hophead email list somewhere on the website. The email updates are something that have been few and far between, but we are gradually getting better at it....

https://www.littlecreatures.com.au/Happenin...menu-id-76.html

Alex

Thanks for the link, I didn't look there as I thought it was food, maybe you could link to it from the "beer" menu item as well or perhaps have a "One Offs" item? Anyway I like the way you think (about beer).

Latest posts

Back