Little Creatures Single Batch Ipa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The brown looks the goods, and rather fortuitously I'll be over in the west not long after to try it :)

Wish I could be over there to try it :(

Reviving an old thread seeing as it is IPA Solstice Winter IPA Shift Brewers Stash Beer. Wonder if they remember to put some hops in this one. Looks like it will be tap only and not make it to bottles.

https://littlecreatures.com.au/news/a-new-shift-brewers-stash-for-you

The LC IPA is quite nice as a session beer but I prefer a much more robust and stronger ABV IPA myself.

Their double pale ale was their best single batch and better than their IPA. The new bright ale was the beginning of the end.,

I see the hand of Lion Nathan's (Kirin) marketing department. Only in Australia have the giants bought so many microbreweries.

yankinoz said:
I see the hand of Lion Nathan's (Kirin) marketing department. Only in Australia have the giants bought so many microbreweries.
Would be many many years ago that LC would be classed as a 'Micro' brewer.

Although since they got big and taken over all the offerings are dumbed down to bland bland bland even the single batches.

2 breweries I don't even bother buying from these days, they've completely lost me.

Little creatures.

James squires.

There are more of course but why bother with mediocrity when there are so many great beers to try. (from deserving brewers)

LC return of the dread is awesome, 1000 times better than that pus mountain goat surefoot. and I'm yet to experience a 'dumbed down' version of LC pale ale.

argon said:
Massively OT :icon_offtopic: :icon_offtopic: but�

I agree that the microbrewery industry in Australia is way behind places like the US and Europe. With prohibitive excise taxes. The wine industry thrives because of it�s socially acceptable image.

Why have 2 separate tax/excise structures based on the product being produced. All Australian manufacturers, distillers, brewers and distributors of alcoholic beverages not subject to wine equalisation tax have a responsibility under the Excise Tariff Act 1921 to pay excise duty. The Wine Equalisation Tax rate is 29% on across the board, regardless of ABV. Whereas beer starts at 29.36% for ABV less than 3% up to 34.22% above 3.5% ABV. It might seem small amounts but when you consider that the ATO took $1.7 billion from beer excise in 02-03 the money stacks up. �����

Now consider that the US Tax rates for beer is an average of $0.278per gallon or in percentage terms 7% that�s a huge discrepancy. The same year the ATO took $AU1.7billion from beer excise the US took $US8 billion (approx $AU14billion). In 2003 our population was almost 20million, whereas the US had a population of 290millon. Based on the ATO rate they should have been taking almost $AU25 billion.

We�re getting screwed� and don�t get me started on what it costs to own a license and run a pub
Excellent research, but you're leaving out one important factor: state excise taxes in the US. Those vary greatly but can be very high. The median is 0.2 per gallon, which adds 40% to the overall excise tax. The range is from 0.02 to 0.6121 (NY state). In most states the rate goes higher than the quoted rate is the abv above 6%.

What is unique to Australia is the preferential tax treatment given wine over beer. In many countries the stronger the drink the higher the rate. In some Scandinavian countries buying a bottle of spirits nearly requires a bank loan.

Liam_snorkel said:
LC return of the dread is awesome, 1000 times better than that pus mountain goat surefoot. and I'm yet to experience a 'dumbed down' version of LC pale ale.
Waiting to try the stout hopefully lives up to expectations and they continue making it to add to the regular range. As for the Pale it would be nice if they added a few more hops to make it stand out from all the rest of the pales on the market.
The only Aus Pale with any hop front is CA Spearhead but that is one you will love or hate divided views on that one. I like it and is my usual buy these days when I cannot afford to buy the good American brews.

Liam_snorkel said:
I went to the footy a couple of weeks ago and met up for a drink before hand at the Paddo, which had both JS and LC on tap, so I had a LC pale and was rather dissapointed then had the bright next and again dissapointed, they both were most defiantly "dumbed down" from what I remember. But still better than the other tap offerings XXXX Gold, Super Dry, or some other uninspiring crap.

I sometimes wonder if LCPA has been "dumbed down" or if it just seems it has due to the amount of hops used these days in other pale ales, let alone the popalarity of IPAs. I imagine SNPA seems bland to Americans these days, but was a complete revelation 30 years ago.

Latest posts

Back