Just Got Back From Fremantle....

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waggastew

Reaction score
Had a great time, highly recommended to all who are yet to venture there.

Quite a few beers were had over the week, particularly after I found the Freo Doctor bottleshop (Arundel St, near the hospital). What a very well kept secret! I found it by accident and was blown away by the choice of beers, best I have seen in Oz. Think of a beer on your bucket list and its probably there. Not cheap but they weren't BUL around the corner.

Some photos of the bottled beers I had:

6205925379_d194dd19c9.jpg

6206440490_3c7e850d47.jpg

Best of those beers were the Westmalle Tripel, New Belgium Ranger IPA and the Sierra Nevada Southern Hemisphere Harvest Ale.

Worst by a country mile was the Matso's Mango Wheat, sweet fruity yuk.

The 'WTF' award goes to the Brewdog Sorachi Ace, very hard to finish, not a good hop for a single-hop IPA IMO.

I also got to the three main beer destinations in Freo.

Little Creatures - Awesome location and food. Disappointed that there was no Dreadnought left, and the dry-hopped PA was only on later in the afternoon.

The Monk - Had a tasting paddle. Octoberfest Marzen was very good, Rauch was quite subtle in a good way. Wheat was way too much at 6%. Overall the beers were good but not that exciting.

Sail and Anchor - Also had a tasting paddle. S&A IPA - Really nice to drink a strong non-US IPA, lots of blackcurrent hops. S&A Oatmeal Stout - Nothing special. Nail Ale - Pale Ale for beer snobs, lots of hops but a bit out of balance for mine. Kooinda Black IPA - Don't know what all the fuss is about, very tropical fruit aromas. Nogne-O Brun - Yum, like drink liquid 'wine cellar'. Mikkeller Big Worse - A 12%ABV US Barleywine, a big beer but beautifully made, all caramel sherry sweetness with a nice lingering hop bitterness, the best of the lot!

Stew

Kooinda Black IPA - Don't know what all the fuss is about, very tropical fruit aromas.

Tried it for the 1st time myself yesterday at the Norfolk Hotel and would have to agree. Its not a bad drop for something different, but definately not a session beer. Reminded my of Ribeena grape/blackcurrent juice...with a kinda bitter coffee finish...

I would have to say the same thing about the White Rabbit Dark Ale. Also wasnt anything particuarly fancy...infact, i was rather dissapointed by it...

That's quite a long way for the bottles to travel, might have an effect on the beer

my brother is getting married near freo this weekend. i'm looking for a queit place to eat and have a decent tasting drink on friday night after i land and unpack . i'm staying at the painted fish. any suggestions?

cheers

-Phill

my brother is getting married near freo this weekend. i'm looking for a queit place to eat and have a decent tasting drink on friday night after i land and unpack . i'm staying at the painted fish. any suggestions?

cheers

-Phill

If Little Creatures doesn't turn your head, I'd suggest Clancy's Fish Pub for a quiet beer and a feed - a good selection on tap and a range in bottles as well.
LC will be rocking on a sunny Friday arvo though...., hard to beat.

S B)

cheers i'll check it out, weddings the next day so i can't party on. which i know i probably would if i went to LC. there's always next time though

Can't go past the sail and anchor, great beer selection on tap..

Can't go past the monk for a great selection of beers and food. I had my reception there two years ago with a tour of the brewery. If you ask nicely and they are not packed, they give the 15 min tour. Well worth it.

If your on the north side of Freo you can't go past a burger at Flipside and then a drink or two at Mrs Brown next door.

Cheers

Robbo

thanks again guys, looks like i'll hit the sail and anchor or monk as they seem to be the closest to where i'll be staying.

to bad i'm not staying longer than the weekend

cheers

I'd go the Monk, the others get into party mode on Friday night, you wont be home till midnight!

yep, I vote for The Monk as well... good spot, good beers.

Sail & Anchor has a great range, and Little Creatures is a bit of an institution - which should be visited regardless, but I liked The Monk best.

If your on the north side of Freo you can't go past a burger at Flipside and then a drink or two at Mrs Brown next door.

Cheers

Robbo

Or the Railway Hotel on friday arvo, Swan Basement on Sat arvo. But not for the beer.

Or the Railway Hotel on friday arvo, Swan Basement on Sat arvo. But not for the beer.

the Railway hotel erkkkkkkk! it could be such a great place, but its not..... could have a great beer garden etc etc..... its a dive

Back