Lager Using An Ale Malt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TowelBoy2013 said:
I'm using 20% Maris Otter in my lager grain bill and it tastes fine.
That response was six years in the making mate :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CP6v4T3VT7I&index=1&list=RDCP6v4T3VT7I

necro 1.jpg

I am sure lager would taste great with "Ale Malt" or some such. Nearly a vienna?

Fair go guys - Towelboy has clearly done a search and found a thread relating to something he is interested in. Lets face it who hasn't told people to do a search before starting a new thread?
We probably shouldn't give people a hard time when they do.
Mark

Who's giving him a hard time? Highlighting the six year delay between responses is simply making light of an unusual and humorous situation.
A constructive response is due, and that's what he's being given. The accompanying zombies are purely for sh1ts and giggles

Well done Towelboy.

I recently made what was going to be a Classic American Pilsner, but the ferment was done between be old and new ferment fridge and therefore fermented at ambient Qld "winter" (is there a bigger nisnomer than "winter" in SEQ?) temps with Notto (my fave faux-lager yeast).

I went BB Pale, with 20% mixed rice and corn cooked to glug and added to the mash.

The body is certainly 'lager' like, though the esters make it non lager like.

Thinking it'd be a good idea to do with a true lager yeast or notto at 13 degrees in future.

Bribie G said:
No, mostly domestic Pilsener Malt such as Barrett Burston Pale Pilsener or BB Galaxy in the case of XXXX and Tooheys, I think Carlton use Joe White? I've found that domestic Ale malts go well in lagers, but I have had some meh brews the other way round, trying to trick up Pilsener Malt in a UK Bitter or Aussie Old on a couple of occasions when I've been using up leftovers.
Agreed, but pilsner malts work fine in American ales.

In my admittedly limited experience with JW malts, they seem to be generally on the light side of their class. For example, JW Vienna, which I often use, is a Vienna but one that's close to an ale malt, and other contributors above note Aussie pale ale malts tend to be on the light side.

Re Maris Otter, I've found it out of character in lagers, blondes and American wheats. Among UK malts, I prefer Golden Promise for those beers.

Half the time there is no difference between pale malts (not ale) and pilsner malts. Historically there was a lot more difference than there is now, mainly around level of modification during the malting process. Pilsner/lager malts historically were under-modified compared to pale malts, which gave a slightly higher diastatic power.

Nowadays, pale malts are just finished at a higher temperature in the kiln, eg 115 degrees vs 105 degrees.

I recently went the opposite way and brewed an excellent London Porter with Wey Pilsner as the base malt to use up an excess.

Bribie G said:
I recently went the opposite way and brewed an excellent London Porter with Wey Pilsner as the base malt to use up an excess.
I guess an extra 50g of roasted barley would easily offset the EBC difference anyway. Makes me wonder if I ought to begin stocking up on Pilsner only as a base malt (can always darken a brew, not so easy to lighten)

Agreed I have found good results with at least 50% pilsner malts in my stouts.

Latest posts

Back