Lager Using An Ale Malt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moonshine

Reaction score
Was wanting to make a larger today in honor of German beer day, bav purity law an all that, but only have JW ale as a base malt atm,

I've got some Saflager s23, Saflager W-34/70, Hallertau, Saaz and a fair amount of spech malt,

any tips greatly apriciated

Cheers

Was wanting to make a larger today in honor of German beer day, bav purity law an all that, but only have JW ale as a base malt atm,

I've got some Saflager s23, Saflager W-34/70, Hallertau, Saaz and a fair amount of spech malt,

any tips greatly apriciated

Cheers

JW ale will be fine. Some even say its better. Its one of the lighter pale malts so no worries on that front

I make lagers all the time with ale malt.

If you're trying to accurately copy a recipe, then I wouldn't - but ale malt makes a delicious lager. I add about 20% wheat malt as well and that lowers the colour and ups the foam.

my inability to spell aside.... :rolleyes:

Here's the recipe i ended up making last night

Ingredients

5kg JW ale

100g Cara Munich II

100g Cara Pills

30g Hallertau (60min boil)

20g Hallertau (20min boil)

10g Saaz (20min boil)

5g Hallertau (5min boil)

1 x packet of saflager 23

Method

Simple 60min mash at 65c, 60min boil then placed into an old not working chest fridge with 3L of frozen water bottles in there...

Will check temp today and see how it went overnight (i've got some more frozen water to adjust but think it should be fine)

drop the caramunich and use a bit of munich malt instead..ale u be good as i have use ale when i had no pils it be fine just a bit darker

I think most australian and american lagers are made with ale malt anyway aren't they?

I think most australian and american lagers are made with ale malt anyway aren't they?

No, mostly domestic Pilsener Malt such as Barrett Burston Pale Pilsener or BB Galaxy in the case of XXXX and Tooheys, I think Carlton use Joe White? I've found that domestic Ale malts go well in lagers, but I have had some meh brews the other way round, trying to trick up Pilsener Malt in a UK Bitter or Aussie Old on a couple of occasions when I've been using up leftovers.

Brings up the question: what's the difference between say, BB Ale and BB Plisner?

Are they the same barley malted and kilned differently?

Or are they actually different strains of barley?

Or just kilned differently?

Or something?

Brings up the question: what's the difference between say, BB Ale and BB Plisner?

Or something?

Anybody?

Hi Nick,
I'm pretty sure Ale malt is kilned at higher temperatures than pilsner malt.
As for the strain, i don't know. I'm pretty sure Galaxy is a different type of Barley, but i reckon BB ale and BB pilsner would be the same.

Cheers,
Al

Hi Nick,
I'm pretty sure Ale malt is kilned at higher temperatures than pilsner malt.
As for the strain, i don't know. I'm pretty sure Galaxy is a different type of Barley, but i reckon BB ale and BB pilsner would be the same.

Cheers,
Al

Thanks Al.

Or something?

BB Pale & Ale are both from Gairdner Barley - Current EBC 3.9 & 5.1 respectively. Galaxy is Galaxy Barley - current EBC 3.5

Cheers Ross

I make lagers all the time with ale malt.
Interesting - I presume you mean you ferment at lager temps? And if that's a yest next question would be does it take the same time as if you used a lager yeast?

Pretty sure he's just talking about the malt, not the yeast.

Lagers can be made with any base malt as it's the yeast strain that makes it a lager, not the malt.

Pretty sure he's just talking about the malt, not the yeast.

Lagers can be made with any base malt as it's the yeast strain that makes it a lager, not the malt.

Yeast strain, ferment temp and lagering ...............is what makes lagers. Oh, and a good brewer.

Screwy

Yeast strain, ferment temp and lagering ...............is what makes lagers. Oh, and a good brewer.
Screwy

+1

Apparently the longer hotter kilning breaks down the DMS precursors, so if you wanted to make a darker lager or a Bock it would look like a good choice.

MHB

Latest posts

Back