Kevin Rudds Home Brewing Bonus

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
University is *almost* useless these days. You can make more as a tradie these days without a $20,000 debt hanging over your head, though if commodities and housing takes a fall then tradies salaries will fall as well.

Ahhhh but there is still a massive shortage of tradies........... and tradies will always be needed.

The population is not going to slow and they need somewhere to live. Buisness will still gro in the long term... needing tradies.

China is not looking too bad and myself spending every day in a coal mine............ its not going to slow any time soon.

im not feeling too worried............ most buisness advertise for an electrician these days offering 6 figure wages and get 7 people apply...... 2/3 are not worth looking at.

Im loving it

cheers

kiwi, without making an issue of this and getting you angry, could you just explain how you were told it would be "nearly $2 K per family member" to be granted Aus. citizenship?
Something needs to be done about these claims, there could be many New Australians such as yourself that haven`t applied for citizenship because of these outlandish rumours.
{Somewhere in this thread is a PDF re. citizenship costs, hope that helps}

staggalee.
Hold the phone a moment before you get stuck into me - I'm just repeating the information provided to me by DIMMS last time I enquired. I made the mistake of not laying the steps to citizenship (at the time I last enquired) out separately ( because I didn't think I needed to), but I will do so now as I recall it.

I got all excited 5-6 years ago the first time I heard that citizenship cost so little. Then I spoke to Dept of Immigration. :(

I'm not just talking about the fee for the application for 'citizenship' because that's always been negligible - In order to become a citizen, you first needed to be granted permanent residency - not just the special category visa issued to kiwi's when we get here because that entitles us to pay taxes and swt fk.all else. Applying for residency, according to Dept of Immigration Services roughly 5 years ago when I enquired (both on my behalf and on behalf of a client where I worked at Centrelink) was going to cost $1780 per adult......which was simply not in the budget for us.
The situation may have changed since then, or both myself and the missus were mis-informed on separate occasions both then, and early last year when we made enquiries again, but we received our information directly from Dept Imm representatives. In fact the reason the missus called them herself is that she thought I had got it wrong.

I suppose it's worth noting that the residency/citizenship rules and process were significantly changed last year, & even with a quick glance over what the rules seem to be now I can see that things have changed within the citizenship application process itself and the requirements in terms of minimum time period in Australia as well - it was 2 years when I last enquired and is now 4 - However - Could the fees involved with residency applications have disappeared into thin air - I suppose stranger things have happened........

I suppose I'll check it out again........but I won't be suprised to find out that it's just the same as it always was. If not - well...good news I guess. But I wasn't trying to stir you all up - just repeating what I was told.

Looks too good to be true. Don't you have to be on welfare already? Sorry - but I can't be bothered reading this stuff anymore, I know the answer.

I've got three kids under 10 and we have never qualified for zip so I've gotta presume same again.

Sorry but this all sux; Baby Bonus, First Home Buyers, etc etc. Thats my bloody money :angry:

Hello all,

Well, wasnt I excited to hear about Kevin Rudds Bonus he is handing out for Xmas, for myself, once I heard about it I had to stop and count all the kids Ive got, shit, only 2 ($1000 per child = $2000).. :D

So considering I wasnt expecting this money (i dont think anyone was), I will be trying to convince my lovely partner for both of us to have $1000 each. If that gets the green light, I will be boosting the Home Brewing economy with my share and purchasing some/alot of goodies..

Now, I call on all Parents and Pensioners to do the same, keep the Home Brew dream alive...

How much will you be getting to spend? Nice bonus if you have 4,5, 6 or more children..

We'll get bugger all in our household. Never have got anything. Yeah we earn over the threshold but the missus has MS and I have had prostate surgery and radiation treatment this year. Still nothing , so forgive me for being a nasty cynic, but apart from age pensioners and carers and some of you folk who will spend it on brewing stuff, I am guessing the poker machine joints and bottle shops are rubbing their hands together in anticipation. :angry:

What about the drug dealers, they will be in heaven...

Well you started it.
I don't really think this a good thing at all. Too much personal information.
This is a brew site......lets keep it to making beer and ideas to help each other with that.

Cheers,
Bud
sad.gif

As I wrote when I started this topic, it was about getting some money from Mr Rudd and helping the Home Brew economy and keeping the Home Brew dream alive. So, it is related to Home Brewing but just as General Chit Chat... ;)

I dont see any difference between this thread and a good conversation between friends getting together for a beer.

This thread was posted in "the pub" and its description it "General Chit-Chat and Brew related questions."

Sounds like chit chat to me.

cheers

Sounds like its a great topic to be discussing and unfortunately as we all cant get together for a beer this is the next best place to have a chat about it and im sure we are all having a beer while discussing it here.

Well said Tony.. ;)

I really don't see how giving $1K here and there to people with kids and pensioners is really going to stimulate a large amount of spending in the country.....but I can already hear the sounds of the poker machines running and the sales of cream sherry going through the roof.

How about Mr Rudd and Co. give us students a break and share a little bit of love around our neck of the woods...Just imagine...if they really want a bundle load of cash blown on material goods give it to the younger generation, we are good at blowing it :p

On the serious side of things, I pay a large amount of taxes, and just because I am responsible when it comes to spreading my seeds I get nothing from the government...makes you really wonder.

Pok

Ok I'm probably now going to throw a cat amongst the pidgeons with this comment, but hey, I've never been one to hold my tongue.

The reason that Australia is in a reasonable position with this economic crisis going on everywhere else in the world has got to be put down to the previous governments fiscal policies (which I hope is enough to ride out the storm that is approaching fast).

Now I'm not a Liberal supporter or Labour supporter which sh*ts my mates when they want to talk politics because I look at each political thing on it's own, not as a political party.

But one thing I will say is most Australians are quick to bag out John Howard and the Liberal party, but if this country gets through this without too much economic hardship it will be down to the platform that the Liberal government handed over to the Labour government. Kevin Rudd must be thanking his lucky stars that he has $10bn to play with at the moment to be able to try to ward off a recession.

And for what it's worth, if we get any cash for having 2 kids I'll be doing my best to invest in more brewing equipment to do my part in keeping the economy going. :D

Ahhhh but there is still a massive shortage of tradies........... and tradies will always be needed.

The population is not going to slow and they need somewhere to live. Buisness will still gro in the long term... needing tradies.

China is not looking too bad and myself spending every day in a coal mine............ its not going to slow any time soon.

im not feeling too worried............ most buisness advertise for an electrician these days offering 6 figure wages and get 7 people apply...... 2/3 are not worth looking at.

Im loving it

cheers

I think you could call it 'Reaping the whirlwind' Tony?
All those greedy bastards of employers are now regretting not putting on a few apprentices now that the rabbit is out of the hat.
Too many good years of profits - the lack of will to put on apprentices = the absence of tradies that we see now.

TP :beer:

Just had a quick squiz at the recent posts & am about to give this thread the big miss right now. Getting to involved for me.

University is *almost* useless these days.
Nowadays of course you average tradesman can:
Perform surgery;
Maintain a corporate computer system;
Map the human genome;
Write binding contracts.

Amongst other things. That's why university is almost useless. Sorry, have to go the electrician's here to explain string theory, he's just back from a trade mission to China (fluent in Mandarin). :p

Staggalee et al - This is the still the first step to becoming a Citizen - applying for a permanent residents visa (permanent residency, the first requirement of a citizenship application). Still looks a touch expensive. Seems to have gone up even....

My only point to make is - not to assume that the neglible charge involved with the actual citizenship application is the only fee/charge or cost involved with becoming a citizen. There are shedloads of people here in Australia that would love to become citizens but can\'t afford it, only a fraction of them from NZ.
As I said before I made the mistake of oversimplifying the whole process and just calling it \'applying for citizenship\', when I meant the whole process from start to finish as it applies to me personally. Regardless of all this, as I\'ve said before - I\'d still rather be here than in NZ, no comparison. Even if I do have to work hard for it :) Maybe one day I\'ll be able to afford it eh?

If you can find anything that says that these fees don\'t apply to me, fire away. You\'d make my day if you proved me wrong :lol:.

( :lol: stagga, damned if you do, damned if you don't - prove me wrong & you make it cheaper & easier for me to become an aussie :lol: GOLD )

From Immigration Dept Website

Professionals and other Skilled Migrants visa charges – New Zealand citizens

On this page

* Skilled - Independent (Migrant) visa (subclass 175)
* Skilled - Sponsored (Migrant) visa (subclass 176)
* Skilled - Regional Sponsored (Provisional) visa (subclass 475)
* Skilled - Recognised Graduate (Temporary) visa (subclass 476)

All fees and charges are listed in Australian dollars (AUD). If you are lodging outside Australia, payment must be in the currency accepted by the Australian High Commission, Embassy or Consulate, where the application is being lodged.

See: Currency Converter

Fees may be subject to adjustment at any time. Visa Application Charges may be subject to adjustment on 1 July each year. This may increase the cost of a visa.

The 1st instalment of the Visa Application Charge must be paid at the time of application.

New Zealand citizens are exempt from paying the 2nd instalment of the Visa Application Charge.

New Zealand citizens should apply for an offshore General Skilled Migration visa, regardless of whether they are in or outside Australia.
Skilled - Independent (Migrant) visa (subclass 175)
Charge Type Charge Amount
[color="#092#FF0000#092"]1st instalment $2105[/color]

See: Skilled - Independent (Migrant) visa (subclass 175)
Skilled - Sponsored (Migrant) visa (subclass 176)
1st instalment $2105

See: Skilled - Sponsored (Migrant) visa (subclass 176)
Skilled - Regional Sponsored (Provisional) visa (subclass 475)
1st instalment $2105

See: Skilled - Regional Sponsored (Provisional) visa (subclass 475)
Skilled - Recognised Graduate (Temporary) visa (subclass 476)
1st instalment $195

See: Skilled - Recognised Graduate (Temporary) visa (subclass 476)

Nowadays of course you average tradesman can:
Perform surgery;
Maintain a corporate computer system;
Map the human genome;
Write binding contracts.
Or they just take all your money and smile as they drive out of your driveway leaving you a 1.5K bill for the day.Hey I like tradies, but in WA atm we a getting pluked in the rear.Every body is earning big bucks except for the other 99% of us.Good call Pat.
GB

You're missing an apostrophe there.

Gen-Y breeders are the future, not you childless people.

It's not important whether or not your a Gen-Y breeder, as long as your a Gen-Y brewer you are Australia's future!

Or they just take all your money and smile as they drive out of your driveway leaving you a 1.5K bill for the day.Hey I like tradies, but in WA atm we a getting pluked in the rear.Every body is earning big bucks except for the other 99% of us.Good call Pat.
GB

I think another thing to do with the trade shortage is the recession that australia had to have. I remember there were thousands of people that would apply for one job for a sparkie in the mines in the early 90's. work dried up around '94 and a lot of people found new professions. A friend of mine that i did my apprenticeship with is now the local cop in the next town down the highway.

I took jobs like tying string together on looms on dogwatch for $6/hr to get by. I then moved to the bush for work in my trade. Places noone else wanted to go and it was a hard rough several years. Being worked to death with 80+ hour weeks for not a lot of money. less that my dad earnt at the time as a sales rep and he didnt work as hard by a long shot.

But i kept in my trade, built my skills, completed and engineering diploma in Industrial control systems and electronics and what do you know.

Australias industry booms and there are no tradies left to do the work after most left their trades and as said......... no apprentices for years.

So yeah, reaping the wirlwind after many years of working to point of nervous breakdown (only had one) to stay in my trade when many took the easy road out.

There are a lot of overpriced, inexperienced tradies out there that make the est of us look over priced but these days i can almost pick my job and price. and its a position i worked very hard to be in. I drove 360km round trips once every week for 3 years to get my engineering diploma.

It certanly hasnt been handed to us all on a platter.

cheers

Hence the *almost* ;)

In 10 to 15 years time there'll be a shortage of professionals because from what I see most people seem to be going into retail or trades. Boom, bust repeat.

But one thing I will say is most Australians are quick to bag out John Howard and the Liberal party, but if this country gets through this without too much economic hardship it will be down to the platform that the Liberal government handed over to the Labour government.
Hawke\Keating. Howard just saw the good years. Costello did his bit as well but really apart from GST he was building on Keating's economic policy.

New Zealand citizens are exempt from paying the 2nd instalment of the Visa Application Charge.

New Zealand citizens should apply for an offshore General Skilled Migration visa, regardless of whether they are in or outside Australia.

Glad you cleared that up Dom, because Applying for Citizenship is entirely different than applying for Permanent residency.

Judging by those fees it would appear the Australian Government are trying to discourage Kiwis from staying in our country :lol:
It's got to suck though, hope you win Lotto one day and can take the next step.

Andrew

Staggalee et al - This is the still the first step to becoming a Citizen - applying for a permanent residents visa (permanent residency, the first requirement of a citizenship application). Still looks a touch expensive. Seems to have gone up even....

My only point to make is - not to assume that the neglible charge involved with the actual citizenship application is the only fee/charge or cost involved with becoming a citizen. There are shedloads of people here in Australia that would love to become citizens but can\'t afford it, only a fraction of them from NZ.
As I said before I made the mistake of oversimplifying the whole process and just calling it \'applying for citizenship\', when I meant the whole process from start to finish as it applies to me personally. Regardless of all this, as I\'ve said before - I\'d still rather be here than in NZ, no comparison. Even if I do have to work hard for it :) Maybe one day I\'ll be able to afford it eh?

If you can find anything that says that these fees don\'t apply to me, fire away. You\'d make my day if you proved me wrong :lol:.

( :lol: stagga, damned if you do, damned if you don't - prove me wrong & you make it cheaper & easier for me to become an aussie :lol: GOLD )

From Immigration Dept Website

Professionals and other Skilled Migrants visa charges New Zealand citizens

On this page

* Skilled - Independent (Migrant) visa (subclass 175)
* Skilled - Sponsored (Migrant) visa (subclass 176)
* Skilled - Regional Sponsored (Provisional) visa (subclass 475)
* Skilled - Recognised Graduate (Temporary) visa (subclass 476)

All fees and charges are listed in Australian dollars (AUD). If you are lodging outside Australia, payment must be in the currency accepted by the Australian High Commission, Embassy or Consulate, where the application is being lodged.

See: Currency Converter

Fees may be subject to adjustment at any time. Visa Application Charges may be subject to adjustment on 1 July each year. This may increase the cost of a visa.

The 1st instalment of the Visa Application Charge must be paid at the time of application.

See: Skilled - Independent (Migrant) visa (subclass 175)
Skilled - Sponsored (Migrant) visa (subclass 176)
1st instalment $2105

See: Skilled - Sponsored (Migrant) visa (subclass 176)
Skilled - Regional Sponsored (Provisional) visa (subclass 475)
1st instalment $2105

See: Skilled - Regional Sponsored (Provisional) visa (subclass 475)
Skilled - Recognised Graduate (Temporary) visa (subclass 476)
1st instalment $195

See: Skilled - Recognised Graduate (Temporary) visa (subclass 476)

Thanks for that........when I get a spare 3 months I`ll go to that website and see what I can find.
In the meantime, your saying "I made the mistake of oversimplifying the whole process etc etc" should do the job

staggalee.

I think one of the main reasons there is a shortage of tradies is that a lot of people don't want to get their dirty, simple as that. I speak from the side that has gone to uni and can get a job in an air-conditioned pharmacy. (12 months of working on our farm killed any blue-collar aspirations ;) ) It's the same in farming, no young blokes are getting into farming, with the additional reasons of farms being expensive and if you're going to get your hands dirty may as well do it in the mines and earn 100K

I know of hardly any of my mates that wanted to get a trade, all my mates have done economics, law, pyschology, personal training, radiology, teaching etc. with the exception of a good mate who has 12 months left on a boiler-makers apprenticeship. He's had to do the two jobs thing and done it tough but now he can afford to enjoy himself a little bit and will be laughing in a years time when he'll be making more money than most pharmacists.

I say good on him, he'll be set money wise and be able to work just about anywhere. If I wasn't so lazy I reckon I would have done an apprenticeship too :D

Edit:spelling

Glad you cleared that up Dom, because Applying for Citizenship is entirely different than applying for Permanent residency.

Sorry Andrew, I disagree. You cannot apply for citizenship without having been granted residency, they are part of the same process. Speak to DIMMS, and they will confirm for you that the first step of applying for citizenship is gaining residency, and that it is all the same process.

Applying for citizenship is not just filling out the form and paying the $240 fee for the paperwork - just like making beer isn't just putting the caps on the bottles......it's a long and costly process.

Thanks for that........when I get a spare 3 months I`ll go to that website and see what I can find.
In the meantime, your saying "I made the mistake of oversimplifying the whole process etc etc" should do the job

staggalee.

stagga - I wasn't trying to say I'd made a mistake at all - rather that you were talking about a very small part of the applying for citizenship process, and you clearly have little understanding of the rest of the process and the costs involved. You make it sound as though we get here and pay $240, make a little speech and hey ho, we're citizens - and that's just not true so the only person starting funny rumours about the costs involved is you - someone I'm guessing has never had to have anything to do with the process. Stick to stuff you know something about mate.

Gen-Y breeders are the future, not you childless people.

I should introduce you to the lovely lass up the road from me.
She's about 30 years old, never worked a day in her short life. No front teeth, intellect of a gumboot, moderate understanding of spoken english (her first language). Fills her day with about 50 fags and a bottle of cheap liquor. In the two years I've known (of) her she's spent the entire time pregnant to her equally useless defacto.

Ah yeah, she will also be picking up $7k xmas bonus cheque

Im not sure that taking money from the working public and giving it to them really helps the economy.

Its always easy to quote the dole bludger arguement.

(start rant)
I will also be getting a $2k cheque as a xmas present from the govt.
I work as a sparky on a site where we work 12 hour rotating shifts.
I work shift work to get the extra money to enable my wife to stay at home and look after our kids.
During my apprenticeship I was taking home less than all of my mates and struglled to run my car and go out etc. Now I earn more than my dad who has been in the same job for nearly 40 years.
Where I did my time two years prior they had 50 apprentices off all trades and I was the last of the electricians to be indentured... This was a federal government department, so its not only industries fault for the lack of trades people but have a look who doesnt put apprentices on at all any more.
(End rant)

Anyway I am thankful for the governemts assistance and appreciative of the extra $2k right on xmas.
Hopefully I can keep some retailers happy and profitable
RDWHAHB

Sorry Andrew, I disagree. You cannot apply for citizenship without having been granted residency, they are part of the same process. Speak to DIMMS, and they will confirm for you that the first step of applying for citizenship is gaining residency, and that it is all the same process.

Here your right :D , you do have to be a permanent resident to be granted Citizenship, to get permanent residency you have to pay an exorbitant fee of $2100, no arguments there. No-one was debating that.

Applying for citizenship is not just filling out the form and paying the $240 fee for the paperwork - just like making beer isn't just putting the caps on the bottles......it's a long and costly process.

Sorry Dom, your wrong, I know, I've been through the whole process. To get citizenship is just a matter of filling out a form and paying $240.00.
However you failed to mention in your first post that you didn't have permanent residency status, and since WE all know that you have to be a permanent resident BEFORE you can apply for citizenship then some of us assumed that you already were a permanent resident since you were referring to applying for Citizenship only.

You seem to think that Permanent Residency and Citizenship go hand in hand however you can have permanent residency without having to become a Citizen, so they are indeed two separate and entirely different things

Apologies for not reading what wasn't there.

Andrew

Latest posts

Back