Your Brewing And Your Children

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At play time at my 2 year olds childcare, all the kids were "cooking". Most of them were making cakes etc. When they asked my daughter she said she was making beer haha.

I've got a 5 year old son and 1 year old daughter. My son gets upset if I have a brew day without him. I give him his own little bit of grain and hops and he has a great time making beer. The only hard part is he puts the resulting goop in a bottle in the fridge and proudly presents it to me a few days later, gotta pretend to drink and enjoy his concoction!

How jealous am I of you guys!

My boys (6 & 2) couldn't give a stuff what I'm up to or what my interests are! They only care when I'll be done so I can be involved in their activities. The elder one does enjoy a ginger beer though (kids beer).

Makes for a tough brew day. Hence I usually brew after bedtime.

Even the bit where he completely undermines his own point by proving how futile that attitude is? Not having a dig at Nath, just making an undeniable observation. Kids will always notice and pounce upon hypocrisy no matter what you say.

[EDIT: Well, I guess I mean "precisely because of what you say"...]
[/quote]

Hi bum,

Yeah point taken, I get your take completely, not really where I was coming from. You removed part of my quote, "It is tough being a parent", what ever you approach, it may not work.

I don't have the answers. Will do my best with my children.

I don't get your edit.

Fear

So the main concern is that you may inadvertently influence your children to want make and/or drink beer?

So the main concern is that you may inadvertently influence your children to want make and/or drink beer?

His main concern is his children with think he's just like their grandfather.

I've got 2 girls, 5yo and 3yo.

They know that brewing is my hobby, and know that much of my spare time goes into it. when the 5yo was learning to write a year or so ago she even wanted to write out instructions for me:

5939181036_aa2bef8280.jpg

(add yeast does come after cool, she just ran out of room!)
She's fascinated by the process and how much is involved, and I think that curiosity in watching me make something is great.

But I rarely drink around them (can hardly appreciate it with all that noise!!), they never see me drunk and they are learning early on it's something to be treated with care. (the know that if dad's going to a brewers meeting or going out to see friends he can't drive home).

Like others have expressed here I figure it's better for them to see that beer is something to be appreciated, not just for getting wasted, and seeing what goes into it helps that. It's the same as when their mother bakes with them, they understand there's more to food than picking it up off the shelf.

I have this hope that by the time they're drinking age, they'll understand that alcohol is about flavour over intoxication, and will see kids that drink to get wasted as immature... (And that if either of them try to bring a mega-swill drinking boy home, he's going to cop the full craft-beer lecture!!)

Meh - your kids will adore and worship you, then they'll think you suck and blame you for how screwed up they are, then they'll be off doing their own thing and you'll be left to do yours.

If you're one of the lucky ones then they'll take time out of their hectic lives to spend some time with you.

Then the best thing is watching them have kids & realising that it isn't easy and they had a pretty good childhood after all.

There's no difinitive answer. Follow your gut. At the end of the day, I reckon if they see you being happy, theyll be happy too.

I've got an 8yo boy and an 18mo girl. The boy knows about making beer, and has discussed beer making at school for show and tell.

The girl follows me around on brew day and helps by trying to put dirt/leaves/rocks into the mash. One of her first words was 'beer'.

I drink responsibly most of the time, and I am teaching the kids about self-suffiency and the pride that comes from making things from scratch.

My dad is a raging alcoholic. I'm not. I figure that my kids are learning by watching and listening, and I am teaching by example.

I wouldn't worry unless your drinking is out of control or is affecting your lifestyle - by controlling your lifestyle, I mean you're drinking in the morning, etc. not controlling your lifestyle by making irresponsible purchases of HERMS tubes and PID controllers and assorted other shiny objects for brewing.

Edit: I'm a social worker and have seen kids who have witnessed way worse than dad drinking his home made beer. Perhaps my perspective is different.

My 7yo girl just rolls here eyes "Dad's making beer again".

My 2yo son wants to climb into the fermenter (which is usually on the kitchen floor), and drive it around like a car. NOT ideal.

So now it's only done after bedtime.

My 5yo Girl keeps suggesting that when i open my "beer shop" (Bar) she will help out with the customers sorting out snacks and stuff :)

Actually just heard from the boss of Burleigh Brewing his daughter is looking to brew beer for an extra credit project for science...I think that is pretty damn awesome

Actually just heard from the boss of Burleigh Brewing his daughter is looking to brew beer for an extra credit project for science...I think that is pretty damn awesome

The PC brigade over here wouldn't allow that. It would be "encouraging binge drinking..." or something equally stupid.

I suspect that we have so dammed much of it that some spilled over the ditch. :lol:

I thought it went the other way. :lol:

Bloody shocking over here mate. Can't do anything fun without someone wanting to ban it.

Next time you talk to him, tell him:

"bignath would like the recipe for 28 Pale"

please.

My kids watch me do it and i have beer in front of them but at the moment in bali its been pretty full on with bintang infront of them everywhere and seeing me and their uncles with a beer everynight plus mum and nanna with a cocktail that they now want one.... So we get them a mocktail to fit in....

These kids are 4 and 2. I took a step back from brewing as it was interfering with me spending time with them. So i stopped brewing for a while and i only make some when the keg is empty or there si a case swap coming up.

Latest posts

Back