Kevin Rudds Home Brewing Bonus

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The reason they gave the bonus to pensioners, including disability pensioners and carers, is that this money will almost immediately be spent in Supermarkets and service industries such as podiatrists and optometrists, as well as bigger ticket stores like Betta Electrical (new washing machine) or Bob Jane (much needed tyres for the old shopping trolley) and this money will continue to recycle for a while as companies like Golden Circle or Kelloggs (Coopers, Morgans, Ross :p ) etc get improved orders being placed on them, hire an extra fork lift driver, buy more stuff from the farmer, so it goes round. However in the long term it will just dissipate. Hopefully China will bail us out in the longer term.

I heard yesterday that even a growth rate of six or seven percent in China would put it into a 'technical' recession. :mellow: I'm sure thats the recession every other country would just love to have.

Here on Bribie Island I will be staying well away from the shops on December 8 to avoid being trampled by hordes of rabid locals with their wheeled walking frames and mobility scooters. It's bad at the best of times, I actually got a nasty leg bruise when a little old lady in an out of control LeMans scooter ran into me in the dairy aisle in Woolies. :(

The reason they gave the bonus to pensioners, including disability pensioners and carers, is that this money will almost immediately be spent in Supermarkets and service industries such as podiatrists and optometrists, as well as bigger ticket stores like Betta Electrical (new washing machine) or Bob Jane (much needed tyres for the old shopping trolley) and this money will continue to recycle for a while as companies like Golden Circle or Kelloggs (Coopers, Morgans, Ross :p ) etc get improved orders being placed on them, hire an extra fork lift driver, buy more stuff from the farmer, so it goes round. However in the long term it will just dissipate. Hopefully China will bail us out in the longer term.

The idea is that this will get the market gears 'oiled' (in Friedman's colourful vernacular) in order to prevent a recession. If it works, then there will be no need for additional payments.

I heard yesterday that even a growth rate of six or seven percent in China would put it into a 'technical' recession. :mellow: I'm sure thats the recession every other country would just love to have.

I have read some economic papers that claim that China needs a growth rate of at least 6% to stay still, due to the nature of their growth (and the most likely case of overreporting due to the lask of oppositional oversight). That *could* explain it.

Here on Bribie Island I will be staying well away from the shops on December 8 to avoid being trampled by hordes of rabid locals with their wheeled walking frames and mobility scooters. It's bad at the best of times, I actually got a nasty leg bruise when a little old lady in an out of control LeMans scooter ran into me in the dairy aisle in Woolies. :(

Sure it was out of control.

I managed to start before the Nelson reforms- the "partial deregulation of fees" pah! I'm also band 1, so my debt is reasonably low. However, I really feel for those who are band 3, that's outrageously high.

I'm about to finish a pharmacy degree and I can't believe why so many people find it hard to come at the idea of paying for uni? They are much worse off in the states, with debts for pharmacy and similar degrees running into six figures. Yeah the baby boomers got a lot of opportunities our generation didn't, HTFU, stop bitching and imagine if you were born in the third world.

We've still got it pretty good here, I don't see why we should expect everything just handed over on a platter, if anything it places a value on your education and considering the number of degrees that are, I'll say it, a joke. Why should your average bloke on the street have to pay for someone to learn about dead languages or pure maths? (not knocking either, just don't know of many practical uses)

Another thought a bit more on topic: I don't know a lot about economics (I'm more into chemicals and their effect on the body :) ) but isn't one the contributing factors to the state of the economy the fact that people (perhaps those in my generation) are spending too much of their money on shit they really don't need?

I love spending my cash on homebrew gear as much as the next bloke, but isn't the idea of these bonuses to be spent on the essentials and to be saved for a rainy day? (ducks for cover :unsure: )

Just my 50th of a dollar

Sure it was out of control.

Probably my fault, I had failed to see the West Coast Choppers T shirt she was wearing, not to mention the row of skull and crossbones stickers along the side of the machine.

I'm about to finish a pharmacy degree and I can't believe why so many people find it hard to come at the idea of paying for uni? They are much worse off in the states, with debts for pharmacy and similar degrees running into six figures. Yeah the baby boomers got a lot of opportunities our generation didn't, HTFU, stop bitching and imagine if you were born in the third world.

Why dont I imagine if I was in Europe when the plague was about? Or a Tasmanian Tiger, or one of those bugs that lives 30 days. Oh yeh...

Another thought a bit more on topic: I don't know a lot about economics (I'm more into chemicals and their effect on the body :) ) but isn't one the contributing factors to the state of the economy the fact that people (perhaps those in my generation) are spending too much of their money on shit they really don't need?

I love spending my cash on homebrew gear as much as the next bloke, but isn't the idea of these bonuses to be spent on the essentials and to be saved for a rainy day? (ducks for cover :unsure: )

That's what caused the Reserve to put rates up, 5 minutes before all this hit the fan. The idea now is to spend spend spend. Hence rates come down.

pure maths? (not knocking either, just don't know of many practical uses)

No, they want people to spend it up as fast as possible. Saving it won't boost the economy quickly which is what they're aiming for.

Any pure maths does have plenty of (admittedly not direct) benefits for society.

Perhaps not to the maths graduate though. mutter, grumble.... :D

That's what caused the Reserve to put rates up, 5 minutes before all this hit the fan. The idea now is to spend spend spend. Hence rates come down.

Fair enough, let the brewing splurge begin! :super: (i do readily admit to not having much understanding of economics)

Perhaps not to the maths graduate though. mutter, grumble....

No offense mate, I know a bloke from school who's in his fifth year of pure maths at UNSW (phd) I tried to get him to explain what it was he's actually doing in simpler terms.... I still didn't get it :D

As old age pensioners, the missus & I get $2100 in the hand which is a great help for people in our circumstances. :beerbang: Thank you Kevin old son.
From a brewing perspective I know that I will get sweet bugger all. :lol:

This money will continue to recycle for a while as companies like Coopers, Morgans, Ross, etc get improved orders being placed on them, hire an extra fork lift driver.

However, I will continue to do the best I can keep CraftBrewer & other retailers away from the dole que. :lol:

I'm a little sad that a lot of brewers may\will squander their $1000 per child on other things rather than (Family-related) essentials without thinking of the future.

TP :beer:

Oh, and for those of you who didn't get it, I was speaking in jest. Maybe I should try to be a little less subtle.

Actually, it`s not always a good idea to speak in jest or take the piss on AHB.
For some inexplicable reason it always goes straight over their heads. :rolleyes:

staggalee. :D

I sat the Mrs down at the computer last night to find out if we qualify for the famly tax ben. par "A" and BING. $2000, we just come in under the thresh hold for two people working full time.
But it's only money, non of us are starving and theres a beer or 2 in the fridge so I would not be getting too upset about all this.

Steve

No, they want people to spend it up as fast as possible. Saving it won't boost the economy quickly which is what they're aiming for.
...and then they'll be on A Current Affair again with their shirts off whinging about not enough money to eat.

Info?

I'm reading Costello's autobiography (for curiosity, also it has been heavily discounted), and he mentions that in the run up to the 1996 election he and the Labor treasurer had a debate on ACA. How times have changed...

$2000 will pay my house off a couple of months/years earlier which will mean I can get a conical from Ross that little bit earlier.
I could always buy shares with it and watch what happens, or throw it in the river and watch it float away, either way same result.

Tip: put $2000 on Weekend Hussler to win Caulfield Cup.
Better advice than current economists who always seem astonished as to the daily results of the stockmarkets.

I'm most likely the most insane person here. Why? Because my 2,000 will be going straight into the bank and off my home loan. Then again I do like the idea of picking up some cheap shares B)

BYB

...and then they'll be on A Current Affair again with their shirts off whinging about not enough money to eat.

I hope that you hold the same opinions if you are ever unfortunate enough to have to apply for the pension if life does not go the way you planned?
I have no doubt that you would rather starve yourself & your family than accept it (The pension)?
You are a credit to your country I don't think.
poof.gif

You have no idea how fortunate you are to be an Aussie. Grrrrrr.

TP

You can't solve a macroeconomic issue caused by debts not being paid off by paying off your debts! that's crazy! :p

Latest posts

Back