Keg King Elements

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been reliably informed that they have lengthened the element moving the internal coil further away from where the cable joins. Hopefully this will have it fixed...

For Sale: 1 x 2200W stainless steel element. Brand new never been used. Still in original box. Due to health reasons this must go. Will consider all offers. :ph34r:

Just heard from Anthony that the new ones are in!!

My brewery has been out of action for too long.

Looks like a full weekend of brewing for me.

I should point out in fairness that all other keg king purchases have been of high quality. They really need to stop stocking this brand/type of element, and I haven't had any service issues with them, including refunds for my elements. So you should still consider heading to them for whatever you need, as long as its not those death sticks.

So you have the latest version then??

Don't screw with 2400W elements. It's worth it to pay a bit more and have something solid.

I have two 2400W over-the-side elements. they have done me over 2 years so far, and have been solid performers.
like this but with a better coating.. it doesn't burn.

Nope. But my experience with the old version was traumatic enough to warrant not trusting them, especially as multiple revisions have had problems, from my research. I was given a refund on the supposedly new models because I wasnt comfortable with that brand, ever. I fully admit it is an emotional response. But for many, that is a strong deciding factor in a purchase, no matter how irrational it is.

So you have the latest version then??

Nope. But my experience with the old version was traumatic enough to warrant not trusting them, especially as multiple revisions have had problems, from my research. I was given a refund on the supposedly new models because I wasnt comfortable with that brand, ever. I fully admit it is an emotional response. But for many, that is a strong deciding factor in a purchase, no matter how irrational it is.

Sorry, you make a statement beginning with "in fairness" & then make totally damming comments telling him he shouldn't be stocking the new elements & calling them death sticks. Not the sort of irrational comments I'd expect from a retailer towards someone elses products on a public forum. Maybe try contacting the retailer & discussing with him first. You would then know the upgrades that have been made, the testing that has been done, & would be in a far better position to make comment...

Ross

I wrote a huge response but then I just deleted it, as it was getting tedious.

here's the finer points:

• service from keg king has been great, will definately order from them soon.
  • due to incidences with the older versions i have decided not to use the new versions, with fears of recurring issues (emotional response)
  • nobody has provided me with tangible enough evidence to convince me otherwise
  • i can get elements of a different style, which has much less chance of failure, and has a better design, for cheaper.
  • i am in the best position to make comments on my opinion, in fact I am in the only position possible to make my opinion, right or wrong.
  • i sell no similar replacement elements, and all my elements will now be threaded BSP style, so I am not trying to divert sales from you or KK to me.
I respect your defence but you also have a vested interest in this item, so if I am not in a position to speak, then I believe neither of us are...

edit: FWIW : this thread is 17 pages long so far. It is going to take a lot of evidence to change people's minds about these elements I believe. I would humbly suggest that calling people out on their shortcomings as humans on making opinions is likely not going to be effective in convincing them to buy elements. You may need to find a more generalized way of demonstrating the fixes in the new models to reduce fear. Otherwise you will find that statistically there will always be unhappy customers, and mopping up after them on forums is going to occupy your time, which I know you value, being a busy man. :)

either way, I am tapping out of this thread now, as I value my previous experiences with you as a person, and hope for that again, and would not like to tarnish that, so I will leave it be.

At first these were the only element I used in my brewery so it was set up for them. On my HLT/kettle is a stainless J box to house the elements. the inside of it is covered in soot from all the blown elements. I had 5 and 5 fucked up. couldn't get replacements so I changed the brewery to suit different elements. They came from ebay like the originals. Haven't had one blow since.
Ross they were a shit element you knew it and so did lots of other people. Now you have fixed it you are vocal. Bit late bloke.

Just a note Booargy, Ross doesn't manufacture these, he is just one agent who sells them sourced from KK

Cheers

For those that are interested, I have discussed these elements at length with Kee from Keg King. I have no vested interest other than as a reseller who wants assurance that the product is safe & reliable. We stock other similarly priced elements, so have no issue with dropping this line if the problems are not resolved.

According to Kee, in the the previous model the heating element inside the S/S sheath came too close to the cable connectors causing in many units the cabling to get too hot & fail. The new units have a longer sheath so the element is far enough away from the cable to prevent the excess heating. Kee informs me that the new units have undergone long & extensive trials, with no failures, & they are now confident of their future reliability & have manufactured in quantity. Considering all these units come with a 3 year warranty, Keg King is open too considerable future losses if the problems have not been rectified, so at this stage I'm taking them at their word & have restocked.

Only time will tell if the problems have been truly rectified, but with the assurances I've had from Kee I'm hopeful.

Ross

My thought would be to ask Keg King to supply the Declaration of Compliance to show that the new models have been tested and passed the relevant AS and NZS standard (believe its a harmonised standard across both). Not sure of the Au rules, but on NZ the importer of any electrical item, must be able to produce this immediately upon request of the Govt Ministry and to purchases. Given harmonisation of standards between the two countries I assume there is a similar model in Australia. And probably for the previous versions as well....

At first these were the only element I used in my brewery so it was set up for them. On my HLT/kettle is a stainless J box to house the elements. the inside of it is covered in soot from all the blown elements. I had 5 and 5 fucked up. couldn't get replacements so I changed the brewery to suit different elements. They came from ebay like the originals. Haven't had one blow since.
Ross they were a shit element you knew it and so did lots of other people. Now you have fixed it you are vocal. Bit late bloke.

We have not fixed anything, they are not our elements & fyi we have been vocal from the start, on here & especially behind the scenes. Yes there have been problems, but we did not know the issues when originally stocked. Keg King have continually modified & redesigned the element to correct the issues as they've arisen & in the meantime have always stood behind their 3 year warranty. Of course I'm not happy with the problems there have been, & if the elements continue to fail it's very unlikely we'll continue to stock.
Booargy, if you'd bought your original elements from a reputable supplier, rather than from some dodgy operator on Ebay, you would have had them replaced, or refunded in full without question.

Ross.

Ross they were good value for me around 100 brews with them. Had they been in stock I would have got more.
I have now purchased a 3kw low density RIMS element expensive and not yet finished but should be good. In my HLT/kettle 3kw and 2kw ebay elements cheap as.
That is what I meant by to late and yeah I know who makes them.

The guys at Keg King have been nothing but helpful with me. I advised them of a burnout on thursday, confirmed my purchase details on friday, and a new element arrived today- monday. I have high hopes for the new one. I'll admit they probably have a bit of experience dealing with this issue by now after reading the previous 17 pages, but their customer service can't be faulted in my case.

Cheers,

RB.

The guys at Keg King have been nothing but helpful with me. I advised them of a burnout on thursday, confirmed my purchase details on friday, and a new element arrived today- monday. I have high hopes for the new one. I'll admit they probably have a bit of experience dealing with this issue by now after reading the previous 17 pages, but their customer service can't be faulted in my case.

Cheers,

RB.
Hey red baron, post any feedback about these new elements im keen to know if they are worth buying.

can someone puts some dates to all this stuff?

I brought 2 x Elements on 3/03/2011

23/01/2012, both elements had failed. replaced under warranty.

5/07/2012, both new elements failed. replaced under warranty.

1/10/2012, one more element failed.

What dates where the new ones released and how can you tell the difference. ( had one smoke and burn, just last week)

These should be all recalled and removed from sale.

hmmmm
well i bought one of these today.

craftbrewer told me they have had no issues with the new stock.

so i will be monitoring and will report back

I can support everything Ross just explained. The guys at Keg King openly told me that their previous model was faulty and that they had rectified these issues as explained above.

A Declaration of Compliance doesn't necessarily mean that a product will be great quality and not become faulty. The authorities do insulation resistance, fault loop impedance and continuity tests on electrical products to ensure they meet Australian and New Zealand standards. They don't have the time or funds to vigorously test everything that comes into the country. Faulty products are usually found through consumers reporting dodge or faulty products or sadly through someone getting injured. I'm an electrician and after learning that older models where faulty did all the tests to ensure that the element in fact did pass Australian electrical safety standards. Both of the elements I purchased clearly passed all tests.

If Keg King have corrected the design flaw that was the cause for these elements going BOOM! then I see no reason(other than emotional :p ) for them not to be purchased. That being said I can complete understand why people would prefer not to take their chances

Latest posts

Back