Keg King Elements

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought one off ebay nearly 3 years ago. Has worked well and I have not had any electrical faults, despite me letting it get glowwing red without water twice, but it now takes nearly 2 hours to get the hlt to sparge temps and could not keep 25 L at a rolling boil. Can any one explain how an element loses it's ability to heat?

Anyway I have decided to replace it and have no problem buying my next one from craftbrewer, which is what I will do. I will always use an RCD with them though.

Cheers

I bought one off ebay nearly 3 years ago. Has worked well and I have not had any electrical faults, despite me letting it get glowwing red without water twice, but it now takes nearly 2 hours to get the hlt to sparge temps and could not keep 25 L at a rolling boil. Can any one explain how an element loses it's ability to heat?

Anyway I have decided to replace it and have no problem buying my next one from craftbrewer, which is what I will do. I will always use an RCD with them though.

Cheers

the resistance is increasing in the element which means that the electricity is finding it hard to get from one end to the other there fore dropping the output. the actual element is a tough *******.

certainly is a tough ******* of an element if it was glowing red when not immersed in water but keeps working. cheers...spog....

Hey red baron, post any feedback about these new elements im keen to know if they are worth buying.

Will do. All my bottles are full at the moment, so it will be a short while.....

As for dates, purchased 2 elements 19/02/12. Gave one to a mate, it burned out in SEP. Mine burned out on 21/22 OCT. The new element Keg King sent me is longer than the previous one, and the stamp on the element is upside down. Other than that, it looks the same as the old one (if that helps anyone).

RB.

KABOOM!!! My kk element finally went last night after about 20 odd brews, I spose it was only a matter of time! Luckily it was about 10min to go in a 90min boil so no major dramas there. Has anyone used the new type kk elements? Have they fixed the problem? I am finding it hard to find a screw in type element with the same size thread as the kk ones.

You won't find a direct replacement in 1" BSP for anywhere near the price (a place would build me one for about $300 though) - I went with These, which are a little bit of a pain to get sealed properly, but working a treat. They are quite long though, so check your pot size.

I've had enough of the KK elements to never buy them again.

Cheers

KABOOM!!! My kk element finally went last night after about 20 odd brews, I spose it was only a matter of time! Luckily it was about 10min to go in a 90min boil so no major dramas there. Has anyone used the new type kk elements? Have they fixed the problem? I am finding it hard to find a screw in type element with the same size thread as the kk ones.

You won't find a direct replacement in 1" BSP for anywhere near the price (a place would build me one for about $300 though) - I went with These, which are a little bit of a pain to get sealed properly, but working a treat. They are quite long though, so check your pot size.

Cheers

That one from stove connection looks like a great unit. The extra length will mean it's a lower heat density so will reduce the possibility of scorching.

I know I'm not going to be a guinea pig to test out the new keg king ones.

QldKev

Cheers
Yeah they look good but the hole in my pot left over from the kk one is 32mm which is 1.25inch. I really dont want to buy another keg king one but not sure if there are many other options.

32mm is the diameter of 1" bsp thread
Ok I thought it was 25mm, im not used to working with imperial measurements so I entered 32mm into a converter on my phone and it said 1.25 inch, my mistake :p

Ok I thought it was 25mm, im not used to working with imperial measurements so I entered 32mm into a converter on my phone and it said 1.25 inch, my mistake :p

yes, 25 (or 25.4MM) is 1", however the pipe thread is determined by the ID of the pipe. Eg. 1" pipe may be 1.25" OD. (just one of those silly thigs poms do :p )

1 inch = 25.4mm

But 1 inch BSP means you have a pipe with an internal bore of 1 inch. Not an outer diameter of 1 inch.
Hence an internal bore of 25.4 plus wall thickness plus thread thickness = 32mm

edit: Beaten by _WALLACE_

QldKev

yes, 25 (or 25.4MM) is 1", however the pipe thread is determined by the ID of the pipe. Eg. 1" pipe may be 1.25" OD. (just one of those silly thigs poms do :p )

1 inch = 25.4mm

But 1 inch BSP means you have a pipe with an internal bore of 1 inch. Not an outer diameter of 1 inch.
Hence an internal bore of 25.4 plus wall thickness plus thread thickness = 32mm

edit: Beaten by _WALLACE_

QldKev
Ok thanks for clearing that up for me :drinks: now disreguard my earlier post.

I got a pair of new KK elements as replacements for my existing ones. They are a bit longer than the previous ones so hopefully this is the final iteration of them. I'm hoping to do a brew this weekend so should be able to find out how they hold up.

Fil

The way I understand it is pipe is measure by internal diameter, tube by external diameter.

Pipe is used for transferring liquid/gas where the internal diameter (vs external) is the critical measurement in determining pressure. Tube is used structurally where the external diameter is more important.

I have one of the new ones, and just gave it a quick burst in some water.
I noticed that I never really got a solid boil going, just a low rolling boil.
So I will have to try some insulation matting.

Ok now for the stupid question. The O ring that comes with the kit. does it go on the inside or the outside of the pot.
??

Back