Keg King Elements

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For anyone interested, i believe the new version of the KK Element has now been released and replacements for the old failure are available.

From what i can gather from Kee, the new design appears to have solved the manufacturing issue everyone has experienced - Just in case anyone wants a working version. Not sure on what numbers are available.

-Martin

I think to win the hearts of brewers back Keg King really need to send out some units to a couple of random brewers to get some real world feedback. Someone wanting to sell products will rarely admit a problem exists but more willing to admit it's been fixed. My element now resides in landfill.

For anyone interested, i believe the new version of the KK Element has now been released and replacements for the old failure are available.

From what i can gather from Kee, the new design appears to have solved the manufacturing issue everyone has experienced - Just in case anyone wants a working version. Not sure on what numbers are available.

-Martin

I thought version 2, and then 3, and then 4 were fixing up the issues. They seem to have claimed it fixed several times. How about the rust issue, is this fixed too?
Here is one example of the new element not being the best.

Sorry Martin, but Keg Kings products have done their dash for me (not just the elements). If I want cheap Chinese stuff I've got ebay, like the new U-shape elements at 1/4 the cost. If I want quality stuff I'll look elsewhere. When he wont even stand behind the warranty in my case, and says it's my fault for something I did not do! it just not good customer service.

Ive run the new elements for a few brews with no dramas. Still gets warm (as you would expect) but it doesnt cook itself anymore.

Fil

lets just hope they have fixed the issue once and for all. I am sick and tired of having to replace elements. i only swapped 2 over at CB on friday.

I'm personally not prepared to take the risk of it not being fixed again and ordered a quality element from elsewhere.

I'm still surprised no-one has been hurt yet.

From what i can gather from Kee, the new design appears to have solved the manufacturing issue everyone has experienced - Just in case anyone wants a working version.
New as in when?
A new version/shipment since May?

New as in when?
A new version/shipment since May?

Yes, arrived last week - element is slightly longer reducing the heat that was effecting the cable. hopefully this latest version will finally have it right.
All elements still have a 3 year warranty.

cheers Ross

Whats the process to get a faulty one replaced Ross?

Yes, arrived last week - element is slightly longer reducing the heat that was effecting the cable. hopefully this latest version will finally have it right.
Cool, thanks for the info. :)
(not that I've had trouble with mine ... yet).

cheers Ross

what is the length now ross, just want to know if it will fit in my keggle.

Sorry Martin, but Keg Kings products have done their dash for me (not just the elements). If I want cheap Chinese stuff I've got ebay, like the new U-shape elements at 1/4 the cost. If I want quality stuff I'll look elsewhere. When he wont even stand behind the warranty in my case, and says it's my fault for something I did not do! it just not good customer service.

Nothing to be sorry about Kev. I think anyone would agree your complaint (and others) could have been handled a lot better. At the end of the day, i doubt anyone would have an issue with a faulty product being replaced with an apology and without fuss.

Let's just hope the lesson has been learned and everyone can get brewing again without further issues - that's what we're all here for. I'm told the rusting issue has also been addressed but only time will tell.

Here's hoping that once again, there's a plug and play element that represents good value for money, simplicity for fitting and reliability.

Martin

All dimensions are on our website...

cheers Ross
Is the image still incorrect Ross or has the power cord been completely removed now from the element (and thus the element has only a normal jug/computer style IEC socket)

SO i see the new, new,new version is meant to be available through Ross this month,
are these still well-dodgy or have they been dramatically improved?

Fingers crossed it is fixed in this fixed, fixed, fixed version. Both the 2 element on my HLT are showing wiring issue at the base, including the fixed, fixed version that rusted. I should just pull my finger out and replace them with something else as I'm too scared to use a timer on the HLT with them, meaning I can't have it fired it up ready for when I get up /or get home. The hot water system elements don;t seem to have any issues.

Well just had what I think is the new type fail, has the black screw on shroud and a 300mm cable length to an IEC appliance plug. Had done about 10hrs work. Smelt it first then saw the smoke. Have fitted a 2nd one I had, but within 20mins the white shroud has ballooned out already. By the looks of how it failed, it was a bad crimp on the neutral lead. creating arching and a lot of heat. ie poor quality manufacturing

OneBrew - I haven't seen the NEW new ones in person, but the pictures on the CB site seem to indicate that the small length of cable is no longer attached, just an IEC plug directly into the base of the element (Ross may be able to confirm). Fingers crossed this is the case - I have had another of my 3 die last week and awaiting a replacement. This will now be the second time all 3 have been replaced.

As soon as my 1" BSP locknuts arrive from eBay, I will be replacing the HLT element with a HWS element I have. Not too confident how they will go in Wort however - may just have to bite the bullet and see.

Cheers

EDIT: The issues I see with these are as follows (and I did pull one apart to see):

1. Using crimp lugs in place of soldering the cables - always a major point of failure
2. Cable that is only rated to 75C - we all know boiling wort is 100C+ and some if not most of this heat will be transferred through the element and into the cable - meaning a breakdown of the insulation and a short between active and neutral (plus the cable is only 1mm2)
3. They're just a very cheaply made POS - I know I'd be very inclined to buy a better quality product at a higher price...

OK, thanks Parks - Well, I have no doubt then that it is not fixed, as the cord is the major point of failure....

Back