Keg King XL Outside?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CanWood

Reaction score
Hey folks,

Looking at making the switch from bottling to a keggerator. I was looking at the Keg King XL but the folks at Keg King have said that I can't use it outside as the compressor can't keep up with the Queensland heat. I have an under shelter, all shade spot on the deck and am trying to decide if I should roll the dice and run it? It's spec'ed to not run in over 25 degree ambient but not everyone has AC so I'm sure the odd hot summer day here in QLD is hotter that that inside, too! For those of you who have an XL through a summer, how have you fared? I can't find anything else on the market at the same price point with the same reputation as Keg King so I'm considering the old "suck it and see".

Thoughts?

If the kegerator is not built for hot environments, makes you wonder why it is being sold in Australia!
I would go for a converted fridge that is built to cope with Queensland temps. Have a look around and ask people which fridges have no problems keeping food cold in your location. The sort of thing your looking for is larger than normal condenser radiator at the back, or if its a skin type with no radiator, then quite warm sides when the compressor is operating. The more heat that's being transferred to the atmosphere, the colder things can be inside your fridge.
You'll notice that older Australian made fridges usually have a large separate condenser radiator on them to cope with hot summer days. Commerical fridges always have a fan running on the condenser radiator to increase heat transfer efficiency.
I have a kegerator that I converted to a radiator type and the fridge part of it works well, but found it unsatisfactory to use because trying to keep the font tower cold to get a good pour was very frustrating, there's a reason pubs have fancy expensive chilled fonts at the bar.
I converted a fridge and use a pluto beer gun that lives inside the fridge as well that solves all the problems of keeping the beer, lines and taps and glasses cold and get a good pour every time.
I think this a better way to go for a home brew setup.
This fridge btw, is an old Philips Australian made roadside throw out with a full length radiator at the back, it can accommodate 6 corny kegs underneath and runs like a champion with no problems on hot days!

IMG_20230730_200451.jpgIMG_20230730_200537.jpgIMG_20230730_200612.jpgIMG_20230730_200700.jpg

I've ran the Kegland Series X on my semi covered deck in Brisbane for a number of months last year. It worked but obviously ran a lot more, it did get some direct sun which I combated with a cover. I've since brought it inside the house.

Hey folks,

Looking at making the switch from bottling to a keggerator. I was looking at the Keg King XL but the folks at Keg King have said that I can't use it outside as the compressor can't keep up with the Queensland heat. I have an under shelter, all shade spot on the deck and am trying to decide if I should roll the dice and run it? It's spec'ed to not run in over 25 degree ambient but not everyone has AC so I'm sure the odd hot summer day here in QLD is hotter that that inside, too! For those of you who have an XL through a summer, how have you fared? I can't find anything else on the market at the same price point with the same reputation as Keg King so I'm considering the old "suck it and see".

Thoughts?
I think you would have to use it inside the house, I did notice a XL fridge along with others in the sale Saturday for three hundred + dollars ex demo or refurbished. Might be worthwhile contacting KK and getting a bargain. Not sure how much shipping is to Queensland.

Latest posts

Back