Ideal Fermenting Chamber/Kegerator Combo

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camNZ

Reaction score
After a 2 year hiatus from brewing after moving house I've decided to setup the "brewery" properly, this started with abit of an impulse buy of a SS Brewtech 1/2BBL Unitank from Grain & Grape during their Farthers Day sale.

Abit of post-purchase thinking later I've realised I'm going to need a reasonable amount of cooling volume: Unitank rough dimensions 485x485x1105mm and 3-4 19L cornies for beer. All this needs to fit into a single car carport which attaches to our back deck, so minimalising the footprint and not looking like a scrap metal yard is the aim.

All I have currently is an old bar fridge which fits a 25L fermenter or 1 cornie on an angle. I don't plan on getting another fermenter/fermenting more than one beer at a time, so don't see the benefit of a glycol chiller. And for less than the cost of the chiller I can get a new fridge as a fermenting chamber which would be more efficient and less headaches.

Currently a see the best options as a secondhand upright fridge or large top mount fridge/freezer for Unitank and a Keg king/land kegerator. From the communities vast experience starting with a blank slate what setup would you go for? I did toy with the idea of just the top mount fridge/freezer using the freezer as a glycol reservoir, but after some reading most people can't cold crash in summer using this setup.

• Given it will be outside(in shade) in Melbourne summer will the Kegerator operate fine?
  • Is a Keezer better given above?
  • Keg king/land kegerators only fit 3x 19L cornie kegs correct?

Latest posts

Back