Kaixin Pumps

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone know if they're still experiencing problems with seizing up at boiling temps?

I've got two and have had no problems with them seizing. Recirc straight from BK through plate chiller after flame out, no worries.

Like other people, I had some issues with the thread in top outlet. This was solved by applying some heat to my camlocks before screwing them on.

Hi All,

I have one of these pumps, purchased from the lhbs.

fired it up yesterday for a test run with tap temp water for a trial run before todays brew, all worked fine.

this morning however, with water from my HLT at around 70 celcius, it doesn't seem to flow..
everything in the same position as yesterday..
when i open all valves and place the target vessel a bit lower, water flows through fine then as soon as i turn the pump on, it stops...

i thought maybe some air was getting in somewhere and ahve re-done all my threads etc, and nothing appears to be leaking...
any ideas? could this be the swollen impeller?

might go and try it with some cold water and see if it makes a difference..

You've definitely got the HLT entering the front centre of the pump? If it's a priming issue be sure to get a good stream through the pump before turning on. Mine get noisy when they're not primed properly. Post some pics if you can. I haven't heard of swollen impellers with these and mine handle 78 degrees C no worries.

I agree with Camo6, post a pic showing the pump, hoses and valve positions. I can't see why it would flow and then stop the flow when you turn it on, unless it was plumbed in backwards.

Thanks for the replies, when i went back out to have a look sure enough, i had it plumbed backwards.

I was staring right at it the first time and couldn't see what was wrong!
anyways,
Brew complete and pump worked really well once it was hooked up right!

This may be a stupid question but can i put a standard 10Amp 240V plug on my new Kaixin that draws only 1.1Amp

Hardware store said i could as pump only draws 1.1.Amp but i am worried too much flowing down cord could blow pump

Plyers said:
This may be a stupid question but can i put a standard 10Amp 240V plug on my new Kaixin that draws only 1.1Amp

Hardware store said i could as pump only draws 1.1.Amp but i am worried too much flowing down cord could blow pump
Yes you can. That is the rating of the plug before it could break. Anything below those ratings is fine.

about 12months ago I got 2 of these(MP15rm), one still to even come out of packaging. Today I picked up the one I've been using and the outlet with ball valve attached fell off. I have plans for my other pump so I'm a little miffed. Any one have any clues it I'd be able to get a new pump head for it?

MB do you think it had weakened or did you just put too much load on the join? If the former what temps do they see? I've got a couple in use and one is placed right where an inebriated boot is sure to kick it one day and I'm not completely trusting in the natural strength of the plastic.. Neither pump see above 80*c and I try to keep them protected from UV when not in use. Interested to see if you can source a new head locally too.

Camo, yeah I'd say it saw 90c some times so probably partly my fault, will do some ringing around tommoz and see where I get. And no real load on the head, you could see it had been heat affected some what. I'll post some pic's in the morning

Thanks MB. I was planning on recircing the kettle to sanitise my whirlpool immersion chiller 15mins before EOB but may resort back to the LBP which used to do it without problems. Still, there rated to 110 or 120*C aren't they? Hopefully, yours is just a one off.

I frequently use mine at boiling temps for a period of time. - no problems so far...

Contacted Keg King they couldn't lay their hands on a spare while I was on the phone to them but said they would be able to order them in, he's going to call me back while he does a bit of a search of anything in stock. He said replacement head should be around $20. I'll probably be ordering 2 just incase. I'll just have to break out the new one till then.

Photos were to big and SWBO needs the PC so maybe later!

So this is the broken take off, I don't know if the pic's show, but where it has broken it looks flakey or powder like. Stll waiting the call back from KK, if they have none in stock it will be a 4 or 5 week wait.
pump2.jpg

Anymore updates on these units?
Looking to change brew setup and will be utilising pumps in the new rig, these are available local to me so definitely on my list for consideration.
Cheers

My two are still running strong. Still silent and easy to prime. Good flow. No plastic broken even with messy brewdays.
There's better options but these will do me till then.

Latest posts

Back