Kaixin Pumps

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Batz said:
You need to clean the bore of the impeller, my bet is there is some grungy build up in there. I had it happen a couple of times, slows the pump down and stops. Easy fix.

You should also replace the 'O' ring, I have a few spares here and will happily send you one.

Batz
Ok mate I'll take a look in there tomorrow and see if it all looks in good order - cleaned it a couple of months back so we'll see, it usually gets the PBW pumped through etc every brew. I've got 6-7 empty kegs ATM, don't need the brewery falling apart :blink:

PBW is good stuff but you still need to break down your March Pump a few times a year.

Hey batz,

After reading this I pulled the head off my 809 and was surprised by the amou t of gunge built up inside it. Thanks for mentioning about breaking down a few times a year. I will doing it every few brew from now on on my braumeister clone.

Batz said:
PBW is good stuff but you still need to break down your March Pump a few times a year.

More of a general pump question but just wondering how many invert their pumps at the end of brew day?

I use two kaixin pumps mounted horizontally but find they hold a small amount of water after cleanup. I had intended to hinge the pumps so they could be stored vertically but ended up taking the simpler route with a couple of u bolts.

On a recent brewday I got a nice lump of black slime into the mt from the wort pump. Since then I've recirculated hot water then starsan through both pumps before and after brewing.

Should I be completely draining my pumps after use?

lukec said:
Hey batz,

After reading this I pulled the head off my 809 and was surprised by the amou t of gunge built up inside it. Thanks for mentioning about breaking down a few times a year. I will doing it every few brew from now on on my braumeister clone.
That gunge will build up in valves and fittings as well, yukky stuff.

batz

Camo6 said:
Should I be completely draining my pumps after use?
I do and dont.
Depends how tired / frustrated / happy i am after a brew.

My view is if i use the brewery within 2 weeks of its last brew its fine to go, no real clean required.
If i leave it for longer than two weeks then i daisy chain the pumps and run a cleaning product for 30 mins with the element on to heat up the water to 'boiling hot cleaning effectiveness'.

At the end of the day, theres always going to be crap growing. But did your last beer you make on a system with some gunk in it taste any different?
Most likely not.

Remember that your running hot water through most of it then boiling. Would love to know what type of bug can create that much of a flavour change in hostile conditions so fast.

kirem said:
I ordered one of these from Jack Gu and got this on May 31 2013, it is interesting that it seems to be available again.

Jack Gu: Sorry sir,

I have to close my online shop because I was sick these days. so I did not work these days. please cancel this order. the payment will return to you. I am so sorry.

Jack

Poor ol' Jack must get sick fairly often, I just received the same email from him.

Has anyone bought one of these pumps from a more reliable supplier? I need it fairly quickly if possible

Is the model they stock at Keg King the same unit?

Also, are the threads on the Kaixin pumps the same size as the thread on the lil brown pump?

Two quality new pumps have been advertised here on AHB in the last week.

They may cost more than the Kaixin, but both come wired for 240V, and have stainless steel heads.

Chugger

Ultimiser

Would be buying one myself if I hadn't just bought a March pump. Dammit!

Batz said:

When you pull them apart, any new seals or shit needed?

I've never had mine apart yet, so maybe I should do it soon.

QldKev said:

I've pulled my green pump apart to give a good clean out. To be honest it didn't look like it need a clean out. No new seals required.

Cheers

breakbeer said:
Poor ol' Jack must get sick fairly often, I just received the same email from him.

Has anyone bought one of these pumps from a more reliable supplier? I need it fairly quickly if possible

Also, are the threads on the Kaixin pumps the same size as the thread on the lil brown pump?
I bought one from jack, placed an order about two weeks ago. I think it took about a week to ten days to arrive. 1/2 the price compared to buying in AU.

Interesting to note that the 1/2" fitting on my ball valve easily screws onto the pump but the 1/2" elbew I'm using on the inlet barley gets a couple of turns.

I'll be wiring mine to my brew box this arvo and giving it a text run.

Cheers.

Same as above - I run sod perc. through my braumiser after use. pulled the pump out once after reading an infection story. clean as a whistle.... ymmv

WarmBeer said:
Two quality new pumps have been advertised here on AHB in the last week.

They may cost more than the Kaixin, but both come wired for 240V, and have stainless steel heads.

Chugger

Ultimiser

Would be buying one myself if I hadn't just bought a March pump. Dammit!
Thanks WarmBeer, I noticed the Chugger pumps & was just deciding whether or not I wanted to spend $200. Hadn't noticed the Ultimiser though, that looks pretty good.

Decisions, decisions

breakbeer said:

I was at Keg King last week and they have dropped the price of their pumps to $64.95, less for cash.
They had plenty of 13mm barb fitting ones as well as the 1/2 inch BSP pumps.
To answer Breakbeers question, the Kaixin have the same thread as the little brown pumps and they look the same as the ones at Keg King.

Thanks billygoat. While I'd love to get a new blingy stainless pump I just can't justify nearly $200 for one

I'll go to Keg King tomorrow

QldKev said:

An 'O' ring replacement should be done every few times Kev. I have a few spares here if you want one.

Batz

I bought two of these for around $115 delivered a few months ago. Great little pumps and have worked flawlessly for me. Good pressure and easy to prime. I did find that the plastic thread on one pump had a poorly cut thread on the inlet and needed some gentle persuasion too be started. One also had a crack in the plastic cover over the brushes which I repaired with electrical tape. I asked for a replacement and Jack said he couldn't because the dewivery for said part was too excessive and was dewivery guys fault for bweakage. But if I organised another sale he could send part with that! All that aside they're a great budget pump and I could have two landed for 2/3rds the price of a recognised brand.

BUT... I have two piece valves mounted to the outlets of both pumps and a T piece mounted to one inlet and its just a matter of time before I either kick or fat arm a tap and break the inlet/outlet off. The benefits of the stainless pump heads would be a big bonus to anyone whose brewrigs leave them exposed or who likes a drink while brewing. And the local support for parts and warranty is probably worth the extra coin. My 2c

I ordered two as well last week for about 115, he emailed me today saying sorry someone in his family has cancer so he is taking them for treatment in cities, so can I cancel or prolong my order a week.
I don't think I can do either, I think he has to,
Hope I get my pumps haha

QldKev the issues you described in your priming section is exactly what happens to me. I however I have to disconnect completely and blow through the system to get it to start....This is doing my head in trying figure it out....Thoughts anyone.

stretch69 said:
I ordered two as well last week for about 115, he emailed me today saying sorry someone in his family has cancer so he is taking them for treatment in cities, so can I cancel or prolong my order a week.
I don't think I can do either, I think he has to,
Hope I get my pumps haha
Received an email from Jack today saying his shop will reopen next Friday and he has them in stock as I want two pumps from him

Back