Josie Bones - Closing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a pity that creditors have to resort to airing their issues on here...

Mmm....if going bankrupt or going bust, one would seriously have to wonder how they are funding a new brewery. Pretty sure the credit refference agiencies would have a red X next to their names, even if it was a PTY LTD company. And if they are made bankrupt they are going to have to wait a few years.

matthoughton said:
This is Matt Houghton from Boatrocker Brewery. We currently have more than $1300 outstanding from Josie Bones, due since end November 2013.

This is not the first time they have exceeded the time limit for credit. Now that we know they are closing the doors, we are more than a little nervous. We recently took a big hit of over $5k from a large establishment that folded due to poor management.

We have sent repeated emails, called them, and heard nothing back. Yet somehow they are funding a new brewery, a new establishment. I guess you have to ask yourself, how?

They have until tomorrow to have the money in our bank account. Then we look at further action. But as they close their doors next week, it may not even be worth it.

Here's hoping that Chris & Julia are able to channel some of the money from their new venture into paying back the debts of their old one.

Cheers,
Matt H.
Hey Matt, did you get paid in the end? Saw this post on their blog recently....
http://josiebones.wordpress.com/2014/01/30/farewell/

Are the brewery and restaurant separate businesses 'on paper?'

I'd say they most certainly are, given the "Boneyard" name for the brewery side of things.

King Brown Brewing said:
No. No is is ******* not.

When are venues going to realise this.

We ALL know how cheap beer is to make, and I know exactly what he is paying for kegs/ bottles, which is why I find his pricing horrendous and insulting to the breweries that make great beer.

Classic example of a lack of hospitality experience and thinking they can get away with gouging the punters because they were on TV for 5 minutes.

And to be honest, that golden ale is either terrible or travels really badly. In either case, it shouldn't be bottled and sent interstate.
I mean Realy. Tell us how you truly feel. O wait I'm not listening carry on then.

They were selling all their remaining stock of bottled beer at 50% off today. Would of gone if I wasn't hungover!

Even $1000 is a lot to be owed as a small business. I've got someone who owes me $66 and that annoys me :) Really. I went out of my way to do the right thing and now someone can't even be bothered to pay me a paltry sum.

It's not enough to want to have a business, you've got to run it also.

Yes it is

dammag said:
Even $1000 is a lot to be owed as a small business. I've got someone who owes me $66 and that annoys me :) Really. I went out of my way to do the right thing and now someone can't even be bothered to pay me a paltry sum.

It's not enough to want to have a business, you've got to run it also.
the fact is many people think it's easy to borrow money and setup a money making enterprise. The reality is very different.
If my bakery owed 100k to the ATO I would lose my house. That is bottom line.

Scooby Tha Newbie said:
How, then, do people in this situation manage to reestablish themselves?

From a purely financial perspective, I just don't get how people can manage to do this - before we even begin to think about questions of ethics etc...

Yes...one must wonder. It was no secret thst Chris was bankrupt when he was on Masterchef ( and the reason he was so pissed at not winning).

He must be getting money ftom somewhere

I heard he has a lot of Swiss accounts managed in the Bahamas and has an Elephant-Man-like half-brother under his house, and he eats boogers. Once he also leaped from a speeding train onto the roof of a car whilst the ATO chased him, but Julia picked off a few of them with a sniper rifle from up on a hill, so they attended their losses instead of continuing the chase.

Scooby Tha Newbie said:
Yes it is

the fact is many people think it's easy to borrow money and setup a money making enterprise. The reality is very different.
Scooby if your bakery owed the ATO 100K why would you loose your house, your bakery (presuming you are a Pty Ltd Company and you, are separate entities.
As with Josey Bones, the owners do not personally owe the ATO, Josey Bones the business owes it, GST is not recoverable from the individual.
Different matter if you had been withholding employees tax and not passing it on to the ATO, or if you owed the bank and put up your house as security.

Snowdog said:
Sadly we didn't make it by when we were down in Melbourne last year. Hoping the brewing side works out well.
Met Chris and Julia and they're good regular people. Glad Chris gave his restaurant a go.

Not sure where the negative opinion was spawned from, and is sad to see here.
If it is the marketing strategy that has stirred it up, then maybe a brewery that sells $9 schooners at the source... well, nevermind.
Couldnt agree more Snowdog.

My comments were not an attack on the service they provided, on all reports it was fantastic. Funny how everyone shot back with how good their experience was; I said nothing about the service or experience, just the horrendous pricing.

Too many bars are gouging customers on beer prices, and it needs to stop if we want craft beer to be available and approachable to everyone and not this overpriced beer snobbery that some places make it. Its not just the venues either, some distributors are taking the piss with pricing as well, which makes the venues charge more in turn.

I always say deal direct with the brewery and get the best service and price.

Anyone who knows me will know that I have a little bit of experience in this area.

I Hope they learn from their mistakes and I hope to hell all the breweries get paid what they are owed.

Back