Anhc 2010

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hopefully if clubnight does happen again next year that you have more luck getting your beer over the border in better nick. You seemed disappointed but then again happy. Great to catch up again and remember to drop in for a night in the Barossa when here. Oh btw what Canberra Brewer did you hit over the head, I'm sure you had a CB shirt on at Biero? Was it Dicko's?

BYB

Thanks for that sledge. You'll keep. Next time I get to Nurioopta, I will definetely raid your beer fridge.

While I am a proud New South Welshman, I am a member of the Canberra Brewers. I submitted beers in the ACT Champs in 2009 (1st place Specialties Section) but did not enter anything anywhere in 2010. I enjoy being in the Canberra Brewers as it allows me to enter a regular intra club brewing as well as have monthly meetings with feedback opportunity. Canberra is a bit over two hours easy driving away (Wollongong 3 hours away). The success of the ACT at the AABC is a tribute to the Canberra Brewers and they way they do things.

Had an absolute ball at the weekend met some great blokes drank copius amounts of awesome beer and geez how good was the food . Those stuffed jalapeno's were delicious. Feel very sorry for the poor ******* who had to clean our 6 person doorm backpackers room toilet , i think the comment was made they should just burn the hotel down. :icon_vomit:

All the invited guests were so easy to talk too know matter how stupid the question, very approachable guys. The system wars session was a f.ckin classic best entertainment of the conference and if you didn't go this year you missed out on a great weekend, GO to the next one trust me.

Thanks to Andy and all the boys who put this on a real first class event well done.

Cheers

Back on topic (after brew wars and FG), I absolutely enjoyed the conference, and everything was a highlight, but I will mention a few extra special moments.

Everything with Gordon and Randy..., not to mention how approachable they were. (Lack of psycho-stalker fanboi's a big bonus?)
The big brew-off.
Cooking with Paul and Chris. Stuffed/fried Jalapenos and Churros/dip a big highlight, not to mention how approachable they were, too.
The club night, especially moshing with Kook!
Both of the dinners.
Mateship with everyone, and especially people I spoke with (Brendanos included, lol).
Andy D, in all his myriad roles and incarnations. Respect!

Thanks to all who tasted my weizen, and moreso to those who appreciated it enough to tell me. I felt good enough about it to send a growler each to the cooks (not chefs) as they voiced a preference for cooking with weizen.

BIAB not a clear winner in the brew-off, but obviously a contender, and that good enough for me to recommend it to anyone considering all-grain, as perhaps a cheap introduction and credible potential ongoing option. Certainly enough respect and credibility has been earned to BIAB to now sit alongside any and all other brewing methods. Happy to be quoted on this!

One more thing, I will officially apologise to anyone who was offended by my outspokenness. I have opinions and they are just my opinions. If they offend, just remember that opinion are like @rseholes - everyone has one, some stink, most are not worthy of consideration. I am sorry if anyone was upset by me, but not sorry for having an opinion, nor for voicing it.

Overall, I have to agree that brewing was indeed the winnerr

My show bag contained a bag with 630g of grain in it, but nothing to say what it is. Does anyone know what it is - or at least what theirs is?

My show bag contained a bag with 630g of grain in it, but nothing to say what it is. Does anyone know what it is - or at least what theirs is?

I asked and was told it was Weyermann chit malt. Looks to be an under-modified grain. Here. Might be good as a replacement for unmalted barley or something like that. Anybody used it before?

I think it was Chit malt.... whatever that is :huh:

Cheers - Snow

Thanks Stuster, Snow.

Looks like I now have another fix for head-retention problems. My existing solution is to drink the beer faster or out of smaller glasses... :(

found this on it
Chit malt is made from highly undermodified barley and can be used up to 10% of the grist. Its purpose is to increase foam and head retention in the finished beer and may increase hop profile (Briggs). It is kilned to same degree as normal pilsener malt.
A new offering from Weyermann that has had outstanding market acceptance.
was planning on smoking it but not sure now.

I think you should just make beer with it, barls..... ;)
riiiiggghhhtttt.
so this isnt the cigat lovers forum then. bugger.

was planning on smoking it then brewing with it. just to clarify.
might just stick to the pils malt then for smoking.

Back at work today & couldn't believe that there was not any beer on offer at morning tea :angry: I needed to top up my RA (residual alcohol) level B)

+1 I too had the same issue, copped a few weird looks when I said" it's 10 O'clock where's the food and Kegerators" :blink:

Ok.... some photos.

Some Brothers BABB: Anthony (from Craftbrewer), me and Browndog
Image0097.jpg

It was a holy experience crossing the floor...
Image0099.jpg

Fatgodzilla and The Scientist getting into some beery Man-Love
Image0102.jpg

Umm....yes.
Image0103.jpg

Some friendly beer-loving celebrities
Image0104.jpg

The famous mini-randalls. Pepperberry and lemongrass spiced saison, anyone?
Image0106.jpg

AndyD finally letting go. Ariba!
Image0107.jpg

Yours truly having the ultimate religious experience pulling Brendo's pump.
Image0108.jpg

Bonj with his new Mexican sidekick
Image0111.jpg

Great photos Snow, you guys look like you had a ball. Love the idea of those mini randalls.

Andrew

By the look on his face, I'm not sure he really DOES love hops.... or maybe he's just tired and emotional after serving all those beers....
Image0115.jpg

What the duck ?!?
Image0119.jpg

Homebrewing attracts all the fashionistas.
Image0123.jpg

Good work Snow.

I like the look of those mini-randalls.
(hmmm, ..... thinks BABBs Xmas party)

Bonj's new friend, Helga. She was a willing participant.
Image0124.jpg

Later that night, she came alive and was seen walking the streets of Melbourne....
Image0126.jpg

I really did think I was dreaming when I spotted her! :icon_drool2:

I thought wishes do come true...the cardboard cutout HAS come to life! :icon_cheers:

Then I asked the other boys to check that I was not making it up.

The photo does prove it happened, but doesn't do them justice...Amazing.

PB

Latest posts

Back