Josie Bones - Closing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
King Brown Brewing said:
Maybe if the greedy fucks hadn't charged double what a beer is worth, people would have gone there. Let it be a warning to other operators that think they can get away with that sort of pricing; punters will vote with their wallets.
The prices didn't seem to be affecting their business. Last time I was there, walked in on a Saturday night and couldn't get a table as we didn't have a booking.

There's a difference between a substantial markup on alcohol being standard and acceptable.

i was reading everyone's comments, and alot of them are negative. I know the prices are expensive... but at least he gave it ago, not many people are opening up breweries these days and the ones that do, need support not negativity if they want to compete in the beer industry.

I don't think its a question of greed, he has staff, rent on the premises, servicing of a loan no doubt, plus all the other overheads then as he is brewing the beer he has duty and tax to pay on that. He would be charging accordingly but if he has previously been bankrupt twice before he should throw the towel in on running a business, or get a business manager.
$125,000 is not a lot of money to owe the tax office but that depends on other debts he has incurred whether he can trade out of it,
because all of his creditors will be very jumpy now.

I too enjoyed the Boneyard beers they had on tap.

I was talking to the brewer (Brendan?) while having a meal there (probably should've been talking to the missus, but anyway). He seemed very knowledgeable and was turning out some decent brews.

So hopefully they'll stick around. I'll certainly support them if their beers cross my path.

wide eyed and legless said:
$125,000 is not a lot of money to owe the tax office
If it isnt, what is....the ATO will hunt you down untill you die to recover unpaid tax.

I sure as hell would not like to owe that much

Sounds like a lot, tax office will negotiate a payment plan, but the thing is keeping a line of credit going with the suppliers after all the publicity of being in trouble.
If he does close down the tax office gets zilch, but in saying that the ATO wouldn't give a rats about the money if they foreclosed on his business.

I was there for fathers day last year. I found them to be excellent hosts and really enjoyed both the food and all the beers that I tried.

It isn't a personal debt Stu, its a business debt, even if it was personal he will just declare bankruptcy again.
I would say that $125,000 is not an impossible position to get out of but we don't know what other debts he is liable for, he could always ask the ATO if it is cheaper for cash. :)

Well I have to agree with Vottorio...
Some of these comments are a bit negative...
I went there 3 times as part of a westgate club function and was well served and well fed...sure it wasn't cheap but as a beer and food matching experience , it was excellent .
I know Chris has a reputation of arrogance but in all my dealings with him and having met him at least a dozen times , I've always found him to be approachable. I'm sure those who met him at ANHC would agree...
I guess more than anything , this just goes to show how hard it is in the food industry....
Yes the beer was expensive but I've seen vb's for $7 at restaurants, and most pints of craft beer are now over $10....
Good luck to him , in his new venture , I reckon
Pity about Josie Bones..I always enjoyed it

Does suck I have been meaning to get there and never did looks like I won't now!

I echo Ferg's sentiments.
Always had a great time there. Fantastic list of beers and excellent food.
I really liked what they were trying to do as far as exposing people to different, interesting beers (got my ex into sours!) and nose to tail eating.
Quite sad that they're closing. I'll have to pop in soon for a meal.

Sadly we didn't make it by when we were down in Melbourne last year. Hoping the brewing side works out well.
Met Chris and Julia and they're good regular people. Glad Chris gave his restaurant a go.

Not sure where the negative opinion was spawned from, and is sad to see here.
If it is the marketing strategy that has stirred it up, then maybe a brewery that sells $9 schooners at the source... well, nevermind.

This is Matt Houghton from Boatrocker Brewery. We currently have more than $1300 outstanding from Josie Bones, due since end November 2013.

This is not the first time they have exceeded the time limit for credit. Now that we know they are closing the doors, we are more than a little nervous. We recently took a big hit of over $5k from a large establishment that folded due to poor management.

We have sent repeated emails, called them, and heard nothing back. Yet somehow they are funding a new brewery, a new establishment. I guess you have to ask yourself, how?

They have until tomorrow to have the money in our bank account. Then we look at further action. But as they close their doors next week, it may not even be worth it.

Here's hoping that Chris & Julia are able to channel some of the money from their new venture into paying back the debts of their old one.

Cheers,
Matt H.

Walk into their new brewery. Walk out with several stainless conical fermenters. Sell them to us cheap. Problem solved.

Latest posts

Back