Imperial/ or Australia stout advice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hwall95

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm relatively new to brewing, actually just made my sixth batch yesterday (A nice cascade/galaxy IPA which is currently bubbling away).

For some background, my older brother is getting married in 7 months and being the best man, it's my duty to organise his bucks party. So I need to develop a few great recipes for it of course, as nice beer on the beach seems to the favourite option currently. So since I only have 7 months to make the stout, I was just wondering if anyone has any advice on a solid recipe that would age really well within the time period.

Preferably an Australian or imperial stout as we both really enjoy a nice heavy complex stout, but happy for any English or Irish stout if they're better for the time period.

I have made a few coopers kit stout + 1kg of raw sugar with the old man in the past however I always found them to be a plain compared to like Guinness or Coopers for example, and then had horrible head retention...

So any advice on a extract or and k&k stout would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

Also; I would like to thank everyone who has contributed to all the information on this site, as over the last two months I have learnt so much just from reading, so cheers!

Hey mate,

Ive done a few kit stouts and they usually turn out pretty good. First step is to get away from the kg of sugar and use malt extract. Big difference taste wise.
Recipe I done last stout was

1 can Mangrove Jacks Irish Stout
1.5kg dark lme
0.2kg chocolate Grain Steeped in 70 degs for 20mins
14g fuggles in 30 min boil
Weast 1084 Irish Ale.

Had a few of them after 4ish weeks in the bottle and v happy with them,

On another note;
Stout at the beach?? Cant get my head round that one. Everone to their own but to me stout is an indoor drink in winter. Could be just an Irish thing though.

I wouldn't suggest an imperial if you need it ready in 7 months, suggested aging times for 10%+ beers is like... Years......

My first kit was a stout, and I loved it...

If you want to fatten it up further, throw in another 500g light dry malt extract

Coal train:
OG: 1.050
FG: 1.013
ABV: 5.1 (bulk primed with 85g dex)
Volume: 18L

1 x can Black Rock Miner's stout
1kg dark dry malt extract
50g black malt (steeped)
35g East Kent goldings @ 20mins
15g Fuggles @ 0 (and dumped into fermenter)
S-04 @ 19 degrees

damoninja said:
I wouldn't suggest an imperial if you need it ready in 7 months, suggested aging times for 10%+ beers is like... Years......
I've been thinking about doing a big stout or maybe a barleywine for a while now and wanting to age it for a year or two
How do people suggest storing it for aging ?
In a keg, bottles or a sealed glass carboy?

dave doran said:
Hey mate,

Ive done a few kit stouts and they usually turn out pretty good. First step is to get away from the kg of sugar and use malt extract. Big difference taste wise.
Recipe I done last stout was

1 can Mangrove Jacks Irish Stout
1.5kg dark lme
0.2kg chocolate Grain Steeped in 70 degs for 20mins
14g fuggles in 30 min boil
Weast 1084 Irish Ale.
I did a very similar recipe but also added 190g cocoa :icon_drool2: and 25g fuggles @ 30, 25g fuggles @ 5
The MJ stout was surprisingly fitting for a choc stout.

Still got some in bottles that I'm saving 'til winter.

sp0rk said:
I've been thinking about doing a big stout or maybe a barleywine for a while now and wanting to age it for a year or two
How do people suggest storing it for aging ?
In a keg, bottles or a sealed glass carboy?
I was looking for some information on this too... I don't have kegging gear, so my only options were fermenter (which is bulky and not perfectly sealed) or bottles... So I chose bottles, will report back in a year or two when I open one :blink: lol

Hey guys,

Thanks the recipes, I guess if I keep them around 5% I can easily try a couple beforehand to see how they turn out!

And with the speciality grains, is there any in particular (Without doing a partial mash) the help with head retention?

Also have any of you guys had experience with adding coco or choc essence when bottling as I don't really want to make a whole batch of choc stout?

dave doran said:
On another note;
Stout at the beach?? Cant get my head round that one. Everone to their own but to me stout is an indoor drink in winter. Could be just an Irish thing though.
Haha my family line is half Irish (probably why we all love stout) but we going camping up the beach a lot so it just a nice night drink around the fire I guess. Probably my dads fault, he only drinks stout..

How did the oak chips go with it. I did an IPA with oak chips a few years back. Turned out total p*ss.
Scared me off the oak chips.

dave doran said:
How did the oak chips go with it. I did an IPA with oak chips a few years back. Turned out total p*ss.
Scared me off the oak chips.
Can't remember to be honest. If I was to use them these days I would be more inclined to to soak them in a spirit for a few days rather than boil them. I have used oak chips soaked in rum into a stout and did not enjoy the rum notes as much as the straight stout.

How strong do you want it?
I have made a few of the following over the years:

for 23 litres:

2 Cans of Coopers Stout
1 kg light dried malt extract
1 kg dextrose

around 20g of UK hop pellets, such as Fuggles or Golding or Challenger added when primary fermentation has settled down, around day 5

Nottingham ale yeast is good.

Comes out around 9% ABV and is a lovely smooth drink after a month. If you want it less lethal, don't use the dextrose.

Several years ago I got as far as the National Competition via the Qld State competition, and entered one to see how it would go, and it came mid field in the category, beating quite a few all grain brews. :super:

Edit: you have plenty of time to do a pilot brew and see if it suits. Coopers Stout kits are bulletproof and I feel that the company truly put a lot of effort into them, a real flagship for the company.

^ Brew it with 2Kg's of Light Dried Malt ;) . Not a bad drop at all. i brew all grain and this is still a noice wintery drop.

Edit: if you brew it with notto, make sure you have plenty of headspace.

A popular one I've seen on here a few times is 2 x can of Thomas coopers irish stout

I'd suggest with Wyeast Irish Ale to stick with the theme, but Nottigham Ale yeast would do the trick as Bribie suggested

I did a Porter comprised of -

1 can of Coopers Lager original series
1 kg of LDME
1 kg of light dry wheat malt extract
300 grams of carafa spec 1
200 grams medium crystal
100 grams of dark crystal
160 grams POR as a late addition
Coopers bottle yeast

Was about 20ish litres and came out around 8%.

Moral of the story is that you could add some crystal to enhance the flavour and give it a dimension for aging. I would recommend a higher ratio of the carafa or a roast barley for better balance as mine is a bit rich.

Bribie G said:

for 23 litres:

2 Cans of Coopers Stout
1 kg dextrose

around 20g of UK hop pellets, such as Fuggles or Golding or Challenger added when primary fermentation has settled down, around day 5

Comes out around 9% ABV and is a lovely smooth drink after a month. If you want it less lethal, don't use the dextrose.

Several years ago I got as far as the National Competition via the Qld State competition, and entered one to see how it would go, and it came mid field in the category, beating quite a few all grain brews. :super:

Edit: you have plenty of time to do a pilot brew and see if it suits. Coopers Stout kits are bulletproof and I feel that the company truly put a lot of effort into them, a real flagship for the company.

Hey Bribie, out of curiosity would dark malt work for this recipe instead of the light?

Bribie G said:

for 23 litres:

2 Cans of Coopers Stout
1 kg dextrose

Hey Bribie, I think Ill give that ago as it sounds great; although I may cut down on the dextrose a bit. I don't want to make it too extreme, just higher enough that we can all enjoy a little bit and give the rest to my brother as a long term ageing gift.

With the Nottingham yeast; I read at one point, that you can use the kit yeast as a nutrient by chucking it in during boil? Just want to make sure my yeast is healthy enough to eat all those fermentables up!

hoppy2B said:
I did a Porter comprised of -

1 can of Coopers Lager original series
1 kg of LDME
1 kg of light dry wheat malt extract
300 grams of carafa spec 1
200 grams medium crystal
100 grams of dark crystal
160 grams POR as a late addition
Coopers bottle yeast

Was about 20ish litres and came out around 8%.

Moral of the story is that you could add some crystal to enhance the flavour and give it a dimension for aging. I would recommend a higher ratio of the carafa or a roast barley for better balance as mine is a bit rich.
Okay thanks for that information. I've used a lot light crystal for my past beers, so it'll be interesting to try some others. Just double checking, both roasted barley and Carfara can be steeped yeah?

Once again, thanks for the information guys.

Bribie G said:

for 23 litres:

2 Cans of Coopers Stout
1 kg dextrose

Bribie G may I steal this recipe????? I just polished off my first coopers stout recipe this one sounds KILLER !!

damoninja said:
Not true, they just handle aging better

Yob said:
Not true, they just handle aging better
Read on here and other sources countless times about them not completely developing until they're about 18 months old.

Latest posts

Back