How Do You Like Your Coffee?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BTW, screwtop, build yourself a pizza oven and slow roast your beans next to slabs of burning Elder...

OK, maybe I'm a coffee snob!

Like this one, left it behind at the old place, building a brick jobbie at the new place.

MashPaddleMkII_Small.jpg

Screwy,
just oven roast the beans on a oven tray after they are prepped, I'll PM the details if you want.

Thanks Perry, I grow my own Coffee and have used the oven before, doesn't do as good a job as a roaster, wanted to try the corn poppers after seeing them of a few coffee roasting sites.

Cheers,

Screwy

Can get a fine roast with a heatgun, a staino bowl and something to stir it with (wooden spoon). A CS member called coretto decided to use the 'knead' function on an old breadmaker to stir it, and it is one of the cheapest, largest capacity, most popular home roasting methods over there (that forum, still in aus). With supurb results too - could be worth a try if you have a bread maker you dont use :)

There are issue with which models to use, some dont have a suitable knead only function.

What a lovely tea... my favourite... a tea from china that has being smoked....

BUT Warra what is wrong with you... at least try Vegemite just once... toast, crust is best with lots of butter (crust acts as a cup) and just a touch of vegemite. YUM! Also nice mixed into bubble and squeak!

Sorry Katie, I'm an import into Aus.
I'm a clogwog, born in a village about 20km from the centre of Amsterdam.
I just can't get past the smell of Vegemite.
I do put it on toast for mrs warra in the morning, she loves it.
Daughter dear loves it too; son is like me, and doesn't like it either.
I guess it leaves more for the real fans of it.
I'll bet you couldn't stomach triple salted liquorice like us clogwogs do. I'll mail you some if you want to try it.

I'll bet you couldn't stomach triple salted liquorice like us clogwogs do. I'll mail you some if you want to try it.

Mail it to me, I'm closer :)

My tea room has a Nespresso coffee machine in it... just recently bought a load of capsules for it. I'm quite surprised how decent it is! It's not cheap though, ~60-70c a capsule (you can conveniently only buy them online through Nestle...) but there's a fairly decent range and it's infinitely better than instant!

Never heard that term before. hehe.

A workmate brought in some salted liquorice a while back. Nasty stuff indeed.
Vegemite on the other hand.... ever mixed it with hot water? Nice in winter when you're out on the tools and you've run out of coffee.

Only drink fresh ground in a plunger thru the week and thru the machine on weekends. Never drink instant anymore if offered I ask for a glass of water. I am a coffee snob and damn proud. Life to short to be drinking cr@p coffee, beer and soup.

Cheers

Chappo

Whinge whinge bloody whinge! I can hear a tiny Violin! hahaha

wanted to try the corn poppers after seeing them of a few coffee roasting sites.

Cheers,

Screwy

Screwy there's an easier way and it's not that expensive.

(1) Heat Gun
(2) Old Breadmaker
(3) A HB Bottle Capper

Makes a great semi-auto roaster. If you venture onto coffesnobs there's oodles of threads on the subject. I found corn poppers weren't worth the trouble in the end. The trick is being able to define between 1st and 2nd crack and then getting the beans out and cooling them quickly enough.

Home roasted coffee is a logical extension for a homebrewer.

Warren -

Screwy there's an easier way and it's not that expensive.

(1) Heat Gun
(2) Old Breadmaker
(3) A HB Bottle Capper

Makes a great semi-auto roaster. If you venture onto coffesnobs there's oodles of threads on the subject. I found corn poppers weren't worth the trouble in the end. The trick is being able to define between 1st and 2nd crack and then getting the beans out and cooling them quickly enough.

Home roasted coffee is a logical extension for a homebrewer.

Warren -

Beat ya, a couple posts up ;)

I went the other way, was a coffeesnob before I got into brewing :)

Tho I have tried the triple salted liquorice but you are right I don't like it...

I am a coffee snob too but my wife just called me a coffee knob and a beer knob! Not nice but true!

Nice bling sammus is that a ecm giotto been wanting one of those beast for years.

I get my coffee from a place called coffee roaster. they roast it and send it out express post the same day so its the freshest best coffee beans that can be bought and a decent price!

I go between having a picillo latte and flat whites nice strong with a golden crema mmmmm.

On holidays next week it will be coffee beer beer beer coffee beer beer beer coffee and so on!

Ristretto no sugar. Occasionally a long black.

We mainly buy our beans from Allegro Coffee in Newtown. We have a 2x moka pots, a cafetiere, & one of these bad boys -
57822_koala_espresso.jpg

& we just got rid of our perculator :rolleyes:

At work we have a Lavazza Blue pod machine.. which is ok for free coffee I guess. But they don't filter too well & sometimes it's so grainy it's like drinking Turkish coffee.

Yeah, I guess I don't mind the odd coffee now & then :lol:

I am a coffee snob too but my wife just called me a coffee knob and a beer knob! Not nice but true!

Nice bling sammus is that a ecm giotto been wanting one of those beast for years.

My partner calls himself a coffee wanker...

ecm giotto

:icon_vomit: how dare you pay my machine such an injustice :p (It's Rocket Giotto now, and they've gone through a few revisions too).

It's a Vibiemme Domobar super lever :)

No instant; after giving it up any instant makes me feel sick and poisoned. Headaches, generally ill.

Working MCG long long time ago, its now their coffee of choice for executive boxes as my coffee megaswill - that is macona gold packet blended in a danish coffee plunger and fresh milk or on rare occasion cream MCG style.

I managed italian/greek deli before so expresso is ground fresh and packed and pulled by hand, no push button as throughout the day the best pull time changes.

now i just biy coffee do to lots of meetings with external agencies, so its simply strong latte, double shot but reg/small size. i judge a cafe by how well or badly they mess up a simple coffee. if its potent, caramelly and strong but not bitter with a well done milk addition and balanced then props and return customer. Unfortunatly very few do it well and those that do i rank by how consistent they can make it. i lucked out with the cafe in the dept building ranking near the top. however if I change the style of coffee all bets are off and new rankings as i havent found a good all rounder cafe tht can score well across the styles.

I love that stuff, my old man ate it when I was young and it brings back childhood memories for me.

Before Grumpys was in its' current building, the building had a windmill out the front and sold that salted liqorice. I did a couple of bits of weekend work there and we still had a few people come in and ask for the liquorice. In the end I think Andrew took down the windmill and put up a sign reading 'the liquorice has left the building'

Dutch salty licorice as we all know is just dehydrated clumps of Vegamite -- it wouldn't phase a true blue.

:icon_vomit: how dare you pay my machine such an injustice :p (It's Rocket Giotto now, and they've gone through a few revisions too).

It's a Vibiemme Domobar super lever :)

How rude of me the giotto barely even makes coffee! :p

I got the sunbeam cafe series, it makes a good coffee and has the twin boilers and stuff but doesn't make you feel like a barista.

Back