How Do You Like Your Coffee?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
only drink Iced coffee up here ... make our own each morning ...

then onto a beer for smokeO..

What a life... you do have it good....

Im lucky to have a coffee machine at work, long black a dash of milk NO SUGAR...

If you ever get a chance have coffee in Vietnam.. yum! Im hearing the beer is getting better over there also... mmmm

"How Do You Like Your Coffee?"

Like my women.
Hot, dark, robust, sweet and bitter in the finish.
:D

ooh a coffee thread :p Hi my name's Sam, and I'm a coffeesnob (seriously, I even have a card lol). dunno about making espresso in an aluminium kettle mje, do you mean an ibrik (turkish/lebanese coffee?) or a moka pot?

Hate to break it to you, but neither will give you true espresso ;) the former will get you turkish coffee, the latter, something closer. To get real espresso it has to be extracted under pressure to emulsify certain oils or something or other...hence the old lever machines.

Here are my babies (spent more on this hobby than brewing <_< )
Image501.jpg

Image502.jpg

Image503.jpg

I think once I upgrade the grinder I'll be complete... here's hoping :lol:

Oh yeah, and to answer the OP, usually a double cap or espresso.

Ahhh I knew there were snobs here! Hah...

Do you roast your own Sammus?

Ahhh I knew there were snobs here! Hah...

Do you roast your own Sammus?

I certainly do, that first pic is my coffee roaster :p I've got about 40kg of greens that should last me quite a while :)

I drink a '6 cup' stovetop espresso pot to myself in a large mug with enough milk to get it to a toffee kind of colour.
Sometimes I use my Porkert corona mill for grinding my coffee, but mostly a little italian hand grinder because it is much more even.

I love coffee and if set up those push button coffee machines correctly then they can produce a could shot - Good beans, correct grind for the bean, a proper timed shot and good water and of course regularly pull the machine apart and clean it.

Because I like to grow things and do a lot of food/beverage stuff from scratch I purchased a coffee tree and have it growing out at a mates vineyard, incidentally he is of Italian heritage.

http://www.daleysfruit.com.au/fruit%20pages/coffee.htm

I scored a 3 group San Marco machine for nothing and one day will get around to servicing it. Maybe when I get my cellar door going.

I haven't started roasting my own beans but I will one day. Too many other things on the go at the same time.

Yummy. I should've noticed that your coffee roaster has "COFFEE ROASTER" written on it <_<

I moved coffee brewing down to hobby number 5 or 6 after I realised how easy it is to spend a crapload of money and time on it... I'll start homeroasting when I get a job and house... right after my automated (beer) brewery :)

Black No Milk No sugar ( takes a while to get used to but then there is no going back )

Pumpy :)

If you put milk in it, you're drinking coffee and milk, not coffee :)

ooh a coffee thread :p Hi my name's Sam, and I'm a coffeesnob (seriously, I even have a card lol). dunno about making espresso in an aluminium kettle mje, do you mean an ibrik (turkish/lebanese coffee?) or a moka pot?

Hate to break it to you, but neither will give you true espresso ;) the former will get you turkish coffee, the latter, something closer. To get real espresso it has to be extracted under pressure to emulsify certain oils or something or other...hence the old lever machines.

Here are my babies (spent more on this hobby than brewing <_< )
View attachment 27697

View attachment 27698

View attachment 27699

I think once I upgrade the grinder I'll be complete... here's hoping :lol:

Oh yeah, and to answer the OP, usually a double cap or espresso.

Hey sammus, steam creates pressure in a sealed environment, so when the water in the bottom half of the espresso thingy ( I dunno the tech name ) boils, the steam created forces through the ground beans, and up through to the top half. Is this what you mean?? Either way, i love the stuff. Looks like you know what you're talking about, judging by your coffee bling!!!.

I like the one with the hoegaarden glass, classic, i like your style hahaha.

BTW this is what i have, although a lot older and worn out!

coffe1.jpg

That's a "Moka" pot. It's kiiiiiiiiiinda espresso as it's forcing steam through but not quite the same. It's one of the many valid ways to make good coffee :)

Same here mje, get my beans from friends in the Sunshine Coast Hinterland (Hurstvale Park Coffee 07 5494 1857 to give em a plug). Been wanting to experiment with home roasting and have been checking out secondhand shops for an old pop corn maker, the models before the gov't made them include an overheat switch. These work real well according to the home roasting forums.

Screwy

Screwy,
just oven roast the beans on a oven tray after they are prepped, I'll PM the details if you want.

Hey sammus, steam creates pressure in a sealed environment, so when the water in the bottom half of the espresso thingy ( I dunno the tech name ) boils, the steam created forces through the ground beans, and up through to the top half. Is this what you mean?? Either way, i love the stuff. Looks like you know what you're talking about, judging by your coffee bling!!!.

I like the one with the hoegaarden glass, classic, i like your style hahaha.

BTW this is what i have, although a lot older and worn out!

Yeah the moka pot creates some pressure, not as much as they say is necessary for an ideal extraction (~9bar). Don't get me wrong, I have one of them as my travel coffee maker, still awesome coffee :p

Oh yeah.. hoegaarden glass? where? I've always wanted one of those, I think you're seeing things :lol:

I only drink beer. And Berocca.

I used to live on coffee and still have an espresso machine tucked away somewhere (I keep getting the idea of dragging it out and trying it for late hopping 'extract'). About three years ago I was investigated for stomach pains and ulcers, and was resigned to an early death. I got checked out for Heliobacter, x rays, ultrasound and eventually an endoscopy. They discovered I have a slight hiatus hernia and the doc asked "Do you drink a lot of coffee?".

No ulcers, no heliobacter. Haven't had a coffee ever since and my stomach is fine - eating bacon, eggs, mushrooms, tomatoes and toast as I type greasily. :p
completly off topic

really Bribie? sometime last year I started having major issues, heatburn etc etc and had a stint in hospital. was checked out for Heliobacter (via a scope), x rays, ultrasound. no conclusions. no hernia. but since then ive been on nexuim everyday to control the stomach. maybe i have to give up my 3 cups of coffee a day...? (and loose some weight) vegimite is my killer food item. it kills me when i eat it but i love it so much. id much rather give up coffee than vegimite

I certainly do, that first pic is my coffee roaster :p I've got about 40kg of greens that should last me quite a while :)

Sammus, there's a huge great chasm of difference between a coffee snob and a proud father, it's so much better to warm to an enthusiast's fraternal gushings than to hear some shawl wearing smack arse faced Styrofoam clutching wrinkly old twot spitting loquacious vowel sounds trying desperately to remember the choice quotes from last months Tatler...

In my opinion, you haven't had enough coffee until you can thread sowing machine while its running...

That's a "Moka" pot. It's kiiiiiiiiiinda espresso as it's forcing steam through but not quite the same. It's one of the many valid ways to make good coffee :)

Yeah, moka pot for me also. Is pretty close to espresso, but a lot cheaper and not another machine cluttering up the bench. As I understand it, the moka pot creates steam pressure, which then forces hot water through the coffee grounds. You take it off the heat once the steam itself hits the grounds. So you don't burn the coffee.

As mentioned above, buying whole roasted beans then grinding yourself as required is a big step up in quality. Ground coffee stales much quicker than ground malted barley!

completly off topic

really Bribie? sometime last year I started having major issues, heatburn etc etc and had a stint in hospital. was checked out for Heliobacter (via a scope), x rays, ultrasound. no conclusions. no hernia. but since then ive been on nexuim everyday to control the stomach. maybe i have to give up my 3 cups of coffee a day...? (and loose some weight) vegimite is my killer food item. it kills me when i eat it but i love it so much. id much rather give up coffee than vegimite

I had exactly the same, nexium etc. I lost some weight, about 25kg, made sure I was drinking at least 2L of water a day and it all cleared up, same with the gout. Cross fingers, I haven't seen either in about 4-5years.

I was basically dependent on nexium and didn't like that idea.

Back