Has Robobrew overtaken Grainfather for product price point?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Phoney said:
Phoney, on 06 Jan 2017 - 3:35 PM, said:
Is there anything other than a 50L braumeister that can do double batches? I would like to upgrade from the old urn, but not for something that is still limited to 23L.
Probably :icon_offtopic:

Anyone can spend the dollars then call themselves a brewer but IMHO you’re not a proper brewer until you’ve built you own setup no matter what sort it is & have done the hard yards using & learning.

Instant gratification seems to be the thing these days alright!

Phoney, For the price of one of these gizmos you can be very well on the way to setting up your own 3/4 vessel HERMS if you stay away from the bling stuff.

My 2-cents & could wait with flame suit on but don’t give a stuff one way or the other. :lol:

TidalPete said:

Anyone can spend the dollars then call themselves a brewer but IMHO you’re not a proper brewer until you’ve built you own setup no matter what sort it is & have done the hard yards using & learning.

Phoney, For the price of one of these gizmos you can be very well on the way to setting up your own 3/4 vessel HERMS if you stay away from the bling stuff.
My 2-cents & could wait with flame suit on but don’t give a stuff one way or the other. :lol:
As some one who has cobbled his own together from this and that (still going, rudimentary as bollocks too) I understand what you're saying and agree no off the shelf product can replicate knowledge and experience.

However a major advantage of units like these is simply the space they save and space is not something everyone has. People who rent small apartments and need to move every few years are likely to benefit from something like this.

Regardless, still need to understand recipe design, mashing and fermenting if you want to make anything worthwhile.

Spot on manticle. But I would also add the perspective of the dodgy automatic home brewing mini machines which is surely present in TP's views...

But those rigs don't go that far into instant gratification imo

Manticle,

I somewhat agree with the argument you've made but if you read my post again you will see

Quote you’re not a proper brewer until you’ve built you own setup no matter what sort it is
That includes BIAB, stovetop, etc., which goes a long way to knocking over the "lack of space" thingo.
Everybody has to find room for their grain, hops, etc, in this great hobby.
For instance, I may have my own home but my gear & everything else is scattered all around in various areas, cupboards & shelves etc.

I want a shed, need a shed, but sadly, I will never get one. :p
PITA getting it all out & putting it away again I know, but that's part & parcel of brewing to your capabilities in your environment.

No more from me in this thread. :beer:

My last word on this.

TidalPete said:

Not sure what being a fitter has to do with making beer! Buying my Grainfather wasn't instant gratification, it took ages to save up for it!

I did build my previous 3v system but given my time again, I'd have gone for a Grainfather every time. I'm interested in brewing beer not sourcing parts and bolting it together and I can certainly say that making a system did in no way do anything to help learn more about brewing. What taught me about brewing was doing exactly that - brewing.

So a butcher needs to raise his own meat to be classed as a butcher?

A Baker needs to grow his grains?

A doctor needs to make his own instruments?

Seems a bit 'high and mighty' to me, but each his own.

I hope you've never been beat in a being comp by an 'instant gratification' brewer Pete.....Btw, how many breweries build their own brewery?

JMO

Yeah BIAB in an urn is a space saver. Not sure sticking a bag in an urn = building anything (although it sure still equates to brewing).

I do get what you mean - just don't see it all as defined and delineated.

Its a very little known fact that a Peter Brock designed and assembled every engine part that went into all of his Bathurst winning vehicles :D

Hahaha, I was actually going to ask if Craig Lowndes was a mechanic, but thought better of it.

manticle said:
However a major advantage of units like these is simply the space they save and space is not something everyone has. People who rent small apartments and need to move every few years are likely to benefit from something like this.

Regardless, still need to understand recipe design, mashing and fermenting if you want to make anything worthwhile.
Couldn't agree more. I am confined to an apartment so basically need a single vessel system that can be packed away into a cupboard. I was brewing on a mates 3v system but he has since moved overseas so moved on to BIAB on the stovetop, but you can only get so far with a bigw 19l pot.

I tossed up the idea of building my own 1v system as I love to build stuff, but by the time I sourced all the parts (decent quality), got a burner, malt pipe, pump, fittings, built a controller I was going to be investing a fair amount of dollars and a shit load of time (which also equates to $$) and learning very little so it seems like the investment in a Robobrew or Grainfather is well worth it. I would far prefer to spend the time brewing and actually learning about recipes, techniques and the art of actually making beer not making brewing equipment.

If that means I am not a proper brewer, then so be it. But that rate at which the kegs get drained when mates are over would suggest otherwise ;)

Is there any truth to the rumour that robobrew is bringing out a 64L model? Now that sounds interesting...

bwhouse said:
If that means I am not a proper brewer, then so be it. But that rate at which the kegs get drained when mates are over would suggest otherwise ;)
Either that, or all you're mates are tight arses and love drinking free beer no mater what the taste!

I don't think it matters what brewing equipment one brews with. ''It isn't the equipment that make's the beer it's the brewer using them" WEAL 2017

As for the differences in the Grainfather, and the Robobrew taking into account that the wholesaler wants to make a 100% profit as does the retailer the initial price point would be somewhere around the same price as the RoboBrew, being as KK are the importers and retailers, never seen them side by side so can't comment on the quality difference, but I can't imagine there would much to be concerned about.

Jeepers creepers,

WEAL, you've officially put yourself in kerrplease's league by quoting yourself.

Does anyone have the new Robobrew or seen it in action??

I have not seen a Youtube video as yet. Pump model.

If the stainless doesn't rust, heater blow up or the pump fall out, the Robobrew / Hobobrew is worth the money.

The limiting factor for both in my opinion is the boil size ( volume ) or ease of containing the boil. I my be wrong , I don't own either.

Latest posts

Back