Has Robobrew overtaken Grainfather for product price point?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The GF connect is amazing. Hands down I was totally impressed.

wide eyed and legless said:
I did ask, but among the questions asked that is one she did not reply to, I will give her a reminder, maybe they are trying to unload their stock of 40 liter models, if they will come down with their price for the 40 L as a clearance I may go for it, will allow me to do the same volume but a heavier beer.
There is another company where the models go to 60 liter might be worth dropping them a line.
Thanks for the sharing the information. Is https://kingkitchen.en.alibaba.com/product/60572914711-803648010/50L_HOMEBREW_BEER_MAACHINE_BREW_POT_BREWING_SYSTEM_CUSTOMIZED_BEER_BARRIL_PARA_CERVEZA.html the 50L system you're referring to?

I'm sure there would be a lot of interest in a bulk buy. I'm building a brew in a basket system to do double batches at a fraction of the cost of the 50L Braumeister, but would probably grab something like this Chinese unit off the shelf if it were available.

Although I recently bought a Grainfather with the Connect controller, I'm far from impressed and definitely not in the fanboi camp. I found the tech support staff at Grainfather slow to respond and generally unhelpful. The product itself is squarely in the cheap Chinese category, but the price tag isn't. QA is poor.

I can't offer a first hand opinion on the Robobrew, but if the new pump version is built to the same standards as Grainfather at a price tag that's less than 50% of the Grainfather, then it seems like a better deal. The Robobrew seems to have a number of things that make it better than the Grainfather:
  • separate drain valve
  • false bottom
  • handles
  • recirculation pipe / lid arrangement that isn't a nightmare to get on/off
  • handles on the lid
  • integrated controller (I'd like to see a SmartPID upgrade option). The Grainfather Connect controller does not fit in the bracket and can not be secured to the unit. Tipping liquids from the bottom of the Grainfather will result in the controller simply falling out, possibly smashing on the floor.
  • simple immersion chiller instead of counterflow chiller (the Grainfather chiller is a pain in the arse, too much cleaning, inconvenient positioning, useless in Australian climate when tap water is over 20C)
  • no ball and spring in the recirculation valve to get clogged
  • concealed temperature probe
  • 2400W max with 1900W and 500W options (as opposed to 2000W max on GF, with 500W or 2000W on old model and 0-2000W in 3% increments on new models)
It's a shame that the new Robobrew with pump wasn't available 3 or 4 months ago. I think I would have opted for it. If I was buying today, I'd be certainly giving Robobrew a go in preference to the Grainfather.

To answer the original question, I think the Robobrew with a pump is a better proposal than a Grainfather as far as bang for buck goes. If the Robobrew can be upgraded with SmartPID in the future, then it will surpass Grainfather in terms of features AND price.

peteru said:
Although I recently bought a Grainfather with the Connect controller, I'm far from impressed and definitely not in the fanboi camp. I found the tech support staff at Grainfather slow to respond and generally unhelpful. The product itself is squarely in the cheap Chinese category, but the price tag isn't. QA is poor.

I can't offer a first hand opinion on the Robobrew, but if the new pump version is built to the same standards as Grainfather at a price tag that's less than 50% of the Grainfather, then it seems like a better deal. The Robobrew seems to have a number of things that make it better than the Grainfather:
  • separate drain valve
  • false bottom
  • handles
  • handles on the lid
  • integrated controller (I'd like to see a SmartPID upgrade option). The Grainfather Connect controller does not fit in the bracket and can not be secured to the unit. Tipping liquids from the bottom of the Grainfather will result in the controller simply falling out, possibly smashing on the floor.
  • simple immersion chiller instead of counterflow chiller (the Grainfather chiller is a pain in the arse, too much cleaning, inconvenient positioning, useless in Australian climate when tap water is over 20C)
  • 2400W max with 1900W and 500W options (as opposed to 2000W max on GF, with 500W or 2000W on old model and 0-2000W in 3% increments on new models)
It's a shame that the new Robobrew with pump wasn't available 3 or 4 months ago. I think I would have opted for it. If I was buying today, I'd be certainly giving Robobrew a go in preference to the Grainfather.

To answer the original question, I think the Robobrew with a pump is a better proposal than a Grainfather as far as bang for buck goes. If the Robobrew can be upgraded with SmartPID in the future, then it will surpass Grainfather in terms of features AND price.
Can me a fanboi, but..

*I dont want handles on the lid
*definitely don't want an integrated controller. I want to be able to upgrade only one part, not the whole unit.
*I do want a CFC
*I do want a non concealed temp probe that I can swap out for something different

There are some things that can definitely be changed, but we are talking about the brewing community here. I think any brand of units need to be based on a modular design, allowing for endless combinations of modifications. I don't think that kk have thought enough about how this unit will work in 5-10 years time. Just my opinion though.

That's the one fdsaaf, I don't know whether their would be enough interest in a bulk buy I would be prepared to buy one and give a report back, the other company I saw selling them was Aurora Kitchen Products, I had another look for them yesterday but couldn't find them I will look again today.

A candid report there peteru, the ones I have seen on Alibaba are all pretty similar design, taken the simplest route for recirculating the wort, which, I am no expert on fluid dynamics, but it wouldn't take that many more dollars to recirculate as the Braumeister, pushing the flow through the wort to the top and having the pump breaks so the grain can move and fall back. I just feel that is the better way to recirculate.

Fair enough, but even for a lot of 10 or 20 it might make sense for the supplier to provide a better rate per unit and with shipping. I imagine shipping one individually could almost double the purchase cost.

They put 21 on a pallet, so for instance if they drop the price then there would be customs clearance and taxes to pay, the price they have quoted for shipping is sending it EMS. When I was in China you could get top up space for a container for between $40 and $70 if you knew some one, sometimes it is best to go it alone and avoid any import costs.

So single sample of the 30 L Guten is $233 & $158 US for postage $391 which is $521.30 Aust
It would be nice to see some better pics of all the gear, false bottom, pump etc.

I have seen the crap video they put out doesn't really show much, the way I see it is $500 isn't going to break the bank and the 3 Chinese mash tuns are much the same and after reading peteru's review not a lot to lose.

Also a "fan boi" but I've found support excellent. I needed the silicon seals replacing when I first got my Grainfather - they responded quickly and I had a set of replacement seals in no time. Perhaps that speaks of QA issues but whatever. Also needed a replacement silicon cap for the filter as I somehow lost mine, after getting in touch with iMake they said they didn't have the silicon filter cap available as individual parts and so they'd sent me a complete filter replacement. I emailed them back to thank them and find out how much I owed them, they responded with saying it was on the house. Very kind.

In response to your other comments:

peteru said:
  • separate drain valve
Actually, this would be pretty useful. I'd agree here.
  • false bottom
Struggling to see what benefit this would offer, particularly as the grain basket already has one.
  • handles
Yep, absolutely. Totally agree here.
Not sure what you're referring to but haven't had a problem with this. The recirculation pipe just screws on, it's easy.
  • handles on the lid
Pretty indifferent to this - perhaps.
Totally disagree here otherwise the upgrade path for the controller would be almost impossible.
Also totally disagree with this. The Grainfather chiller is superb. Not sure what you mean by too much cleaning. I recirculate cleaner through it when I'm cleaning my Grainfather and then run water through it after cleaning. And I fail to see how an immersion chiller would work better than the counterflow chiller when tap water is over 20c.
You can remove this. Most of us do.
Am pretty indifferent on this. Not sure it would make any difference either way. Possibly easier to clean if it was concealed but not sure if that affect the sensitivity of the probe.
Same, pretty indifferent again. I get up to boil without issue and in a quick enough time. I'm sure the higher wattage would probably improve performance but can't say I feel like my GF struggles in any way at the moment.

grainfather.jpg

I love my Grain father,

I got one of the original models after mashing in eskies and doing extract brewing with an immersion heater and bucket of death in the good old days.

Mines been through over 100 batches now. Most double batched. The unit has not caused me any issues.
The chiller works good, I find if I use it then I run the wort through it and back into the boiler for 5-10 mins to drop the heat down to say 60 then into fermenter. This works best in Brisbane heat, I only used the chiller 10 times as I basically no chill for time and convience of gathering up cubes for future fermentations.
My only gripe and its not the units fault is the capacity, but probably because me and a couple of mates and brother are piss heads this cant keep up with production when I only have time to run it every fortnight/3 weeks.

If I had time, I would love to build a mega Grain father like the ones other guys are building in the 100 ltr size, but my job is just too busy to allow this .

Ive basically refined the double batch high grav mashs with this thing and on agood run can get 45 ltrs at 1050 out of it. But still not enough.

I was comtemplating selling it . Only to upgrade to a 50 ltr Breumeister to do doubles in it but the new ones are basically 4 k with the water jacket feature and id only get half my coin back on the GF so its would be a 3.5 K investment. I have an understanding wife but ATM could not justify the extra coin to her after buying flooded fonts , kegmenters etc.lol i really wood love a breaumeister though as they are quality but the gf is pretty good too.
I told my brother he need to invest half into another unit if they want to keep drinkin around here.
So he went and grab another of the run out models for agood price on Thursday as we don't need that connect stuff ATM.

I'm lucky I have lots of power in my shed, I installed another 2 circuits with power points in carport.
We run 2 G/fathers and 2 urns and also plug in an over the side immersion heater to help the units get to strike and boil faster , espesically double batches .45 amps at max capacity, but its fast when we use the over side element as well. Can clean and hose up under carport and put it away so SWMBO can park her car back lol.

We tried the over night mash last night/ tks Batz for the tips,

Did the boil first up this morning, got 4 x 15 ltr cubes at 1066, so around 21 ltrs each when we water them down to 1053. perfect for 4 cornies.
Did second run, today got 4 x 15 ltr cubes at 1060 , so another 4 cornies, all cleaned up, 8 cubes sitting in my pool ready for yeast .

It was the best option for me to upgrade production as I only had to tip in half of another setup, and my brother grabed agood deal on a left over standard grainfather.

Cheers

I mailed KK who informed me that they are running test brews on the 65L model.

Not too far away now.

Has there been any indication of ballpark figures for the 65L?

crowmanz said:
Has there been any indication of ballpark figures for the 65L?
No idea, but based on their pricing of the 35L I'd wager they'll still come in under the Grainfather price for the 65.

Having run the Robobrew with a magnetic drive pump for over a year now I can attest to it's ability to make great beer. Having not used a Grainfather I can't really speak about the difference in quality between them, but there are a couple of issues that the Robobrew has had in terms of quality:

• Control unit screen goes blank - this has only happened to me once during a boil but others have experienced it more often. Simple fix in the moment is to switch off and on again
  • Handles are only spot welded on - I tried to re-position my unit with a full load of wort on board and ripped one of them off.

Other than that, the shortcomings that I've had to overcome with my unit (1st Gen) have been fixed by KK in subsequent versions.

i will second that the Robobrew for me was not too good
lid had rust marks
and controller kept cutting out
So i send back and got full refund they were good about it but be aware ??
now trying to run the Brauduino

Back