Grainfather pump stopping

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MickJ

Reaction score
With the Grainfather 10 minutes before end of boil I turn the pump on to santise the chiller than at end of boil turn on cooling water to bring down the temperature in the Grainfather..

Than when ready to transfer to the ferementer turn the pump off for a few seconds..

This is when it won’t pump but just makes noises..

In the past I have blown air down the discharge pipe to the pump if the problem was hops on the pump filter..

Another fix was to pour water down the pipe to prime the pump.

Last fix was to blow through the chiller to remove the wort if the problem was a back pressure one that the pump over come..

Today nothing worked and after about 10 attempts.

So the only thing I could find on the internet were over heated pumps or non working pumps, so after a stoppage of 10 or 15 minutes the pump started first time..

So for my 2nd brew today a computer fan was placed above the pump that has the stainless cover removed and used for the whole boil, the pump remained cool and worked first time after moving to the fermenter..
This maybe the right fix or not..

IS anybody having problems with the pump and how do they fix it….

Michael

Never had a problem with the pump over heating but I have over heated the control box and melted it. I use the Grainfather jacket when brewing and have to mount the controller away from the body otherwise it threatens to do it again. It may not help at all but pull the pump apart and give it a good clean out every now and then.

The cause of control boxes melting is a poor connection of the main or heating element power cable causing resistance and heat. Think of it as a 2000w light bulb in that scenario.

Pump should be fine @ 100c. Sounds like it is faulty.

Latest posts

Back