GUTEN

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The boil.
Interestingly the pre boil gravity were both exactly the same. Final gravity the BM which lagged behind the boil of the Guten came out at 1,051 and the Guten 1,048. theoretically should both have been the same

My last few brews have been full volume mash in the Guten and my efficiency has suffered a lot, my last brew was supposed to be a 7.2% IPA that's come in at 4.9%, a nice beer but I'm now calling it a 'session IPA' :) that was from a 6.2kg grain bill so I should have got more than that. I'm going to go back to sparging with ~6kg mash and ~30L of water the recirc pipe ends up in the grain bed and its just not extracting enough sugars, with lower volume of water I can hopefully get the top plate on and have the water flow better over the grain. My first few brews with the Guten when I did sparging I ended up the other way with too high gravity but I suspect that was boil off rate I had wrong in BS.

Never a dull moment in this game, always something new to try.

with ~6kg mash and ~30L of water the recirc pipe ends up in the grain bed and its just not extracting enough sugars, with lower volume of water I can hopefully get the top plate on and have the water flow better over the grain.

You could just use a bit of silicone hosing over the end of the recirc pipe to extend it, that will let you keep the wort flowing through the grain and not throught the pipe. If you get the right size of silicone tubing, you can still get the top screen on too

You could just use a bit of silicone hosing over the end of the recirc pipe to extend it, that will let you keep the wort flowing through the grain and not throught the pipe. If you get the right size of silicone tubing, you can still get the top screen on too
I already use a pipe but with 30l and 6kg it's almost at the overflow holes in the mash tun, I try and get the pipe to run around the outside but when it's warm it tends to sink,I don't think I could get the top screen on given I've got the bazooka over the central
overflow too.

It's not a big issue going back to sparging it's just a pain with weare treatments as it's easier to do with the full volume but I'll just have to do the full volume then take some out before I mash in, I think that's going to give me the better efficiency I am looking for.

Next brew I'll find out!!

I already use a pipe but with 30l and 6kg it's almost at the overflow holes in the mash tun, I try and get the pipe to run around the outside but when it's warm it tends to sink,I don't think I could get the top screen on given I've got the bazooka over the central
overflow too.

It's not a big issue going back to sparging it's just a pain with weare treatments as it's easier to do with the full volume but I'll just have to do the full volume then take some out before I mash in, I think that's going to give me the better efficiency I am looking for.

Next brew I'll find out!!
What you could try Leyther is a 90 minute mashtime, also do you crush your own grain?

What you could try Leyther is a 90 minute mashtime, also do you crush your own grain?

Yes I do, Ive tried adjusting the crush size in the last 2 brews and still same result, went larger then smaller than I've been using previously.

I could try a longer mashtime but adding extra time to my brewday wouldn't go down too well with SWMBO although its probably no longer than the sparge time will take, maybe I'll give that a go.

I also do the same as goatchop total water and add salts, reduce by about 4 litres depending on grain bill, mash in, add some water back into kettle, I don't think it makes a lot of difference whether some wort goes down the overflow, if it is a concern then some silicone over the overflow pipe will stop that.
When Palmer talks about full volume mash he states how much more grain to put in but I think the sum of the amount of grain extra would be for a static mash not recirculating I have added 3 or 400 gram of malt extra and gone over the expected OG.

Was thinking of doing a Guten v Robobrew G3 thread, but I will wait and see if any alterations have been made for the Guten. If not I think it would be a case of Gute Nacht Irene, for the Robobrew.

When and where are these being released in Australia ? Would you recommend over robo? If so what's better about it?

I asked about the Robo v3 50 ltr version that could complete with the Braumiester 50ltr is due out from the supplier and have been advised it will come out 2 months from now. I asked iMake if Grain Father would bring out a 50 ltr version and they have no plans at all....

Looks like a Braumiester 50 now or wait until the Robo v3 50ltr comes out.

Latest posts

Back