GUTEN

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So tempted by the 30l - $380.00, 8kg grain bill, built in pump and ball valve to regulate it, programmable steps including power, and can remember recipes...

But I just finished getting my kit together to recirculate wort (keep mash temps even) and sparge and have the materials to add a HLT (faster step changes, and proper sparge,) so I'll resist.

If I hadn't just spent a packet on my son's High School though...

Is it safe to recirculate boiling wort through the pump? Would want to circulate hot wort through the chiller while it's sumberged in ice then back to the unit till it's at pitching temp.

Been looking at getting a RB3 until I found out about these. Very tempted as the 40L on KK is $380 and there is a free shipping option showing for me.

I noticed the RB3 has a false bottom but the Guten doesnt, is there any dis/advantage to this?

Can the pump be used to pump through the chiller to the FV?

The Guten does have a false bottom also, in the Guten the mash tun has a lip on the bottom that holds the removable false bottom in place, this holds the grain in place, not sure about the RB but I suspect its very similar.

The Guten does have a false bottom also, in the Guten the mash tun has a lip on the bottom that holds the removable false bottom in place, this holds the grain in place, not sure about the RB but I suspect its very similar.
The Robobrew 3 has 2 filter plates in the grain pipe and a 3 legged false bottom which only sits on 2 of the 3 legs. The only reason I can see for this must be the quality of the pump maybe blocking when a piece of grain gets in there, something I never had on the Guten touch wood, would hate to be emptying clearing the blockage and refiling again.

Maybe I'm confusing the filter plates with a false bottom I thought they were the same thing.

The Robobrew 3 has 2 filter plates in the grain pipe and a 3 legged false bottom which only sits on 2 of the 3 legs. The only reason I can see for this must be the quality of the pump maybe blocking when a piece of grain gets in there, something I never had on the Guten touch wood, would hate to be emptying clearing the blockage and refiling again.

I've got a V2 and never had an issue with the pump blocking

Well, I bit the bullet and ordered the 50L. Will run it along side my Robobrew on brew days. 2 kegs of a standard ale and probably 1 keg of something funky to try.
Hopefully it arrives mid next week so I can fire it up on the weekend!

So the solution to the flimsy bottom screen falling through is to use a shifter (or similar) to bend the rolled lip out a touch so when you do get some flex the screen doesn't liberate itself from the malt pipe.

https://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/2084945
Hey dibbz what would you say the weight of your saturated grain would be in the 50 litre, I know its bloody heavy when I have done close to a full volume mash in the 35 litre, always concerned about those little spot welded toggles on the side holding the weight.

And I stand on an esky as the guten is on some bricks, so I can drain into cubes from the tap.

It's too heavy when it's full so I hold it up for a few minutes and let some drain through before fully withdrawing the pipe, my heart is pumping every time :) hopcat seem to have had extra lugs half way so you can let it drain before getting it all out.

I could probably just let some wort out into a 19l pot to allow the malt pipe to drain before removing it tbh, less effort.

Does anyone have any idea how long the "introductory" price will last at Keg King?
I'm so damned tempted to buy one but will have to sell some stuff first to fund it.

Looking at the 40l as it's more than I need right now. I usually try to make cube sized brews.

Does anyone have any idea how long the "introductory" price will last at Keg King?
I'm so damned tempted to buy one but will have to sell some stuff first to fund it.

Looking at the 40l as it's more than I need right now. I usually try to make cube sized brews.
I presume it will be on this initial delivery, not to big a markup on the prices we got for the BB. put a deposit on mine today, they sold 2 while I was in there.

I presume it will be on this initial delivery, not to big a markup on the prices we got for the BB. put a deposit on mine today, they sold 2 while I was in there.

I can understand why,
I might not manage the special intro price - hopefully they'll keep selling them at a similar if slightly higher price for a good while.
The programming on the Guten sounds more intuitive to me (vs Robobrew) - although I've never actually seen a Guten in action.

Actually I was a little surprised when I was reading the manual today, it has got the hop timer, and the recipe memory but from what I read it also has the alarm when a phase has finished which is good. Being used to the BM that marks time from end of mash to boil mode until you are there to enter the boil mode. My present Guten goes straight from mash and ramps up for boiling, but now it looks like the new one emits an alarm before going into boil by manually giving it the OK for the boil. It was only a quick read so maybe a new owner could enlighten us.

Latest posts

Back