GUTEN

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interested in possibly get a guten 40L. Does anyone know if these would fit any of the stills that either keg king or kegland offer?
This was part of my thinking as well. The diameter is different, so the robobrew dome won’t fit. However, they do seem to be the same diameter as the grainfather so you could use the dome from that unit. No clamps on the sides though so you will need some way to give an right seal, and more importantly support the weight of the still head.

This was part of my thinking as well. The diameter is different, so the robobrew dome won’t fit. However, they do seem to be the same diameter as the grainfather so you could use the dome from that unit. No clamps on the sides though so you will need some way to give an right seal, and more importantly support the weight of the still head.
Yeah after posting i did forget about the clamps. It's a shame it's not the same diameter as I was leaning towards a guten over a robobrew.

I suggest you do some reading about HBS stills on a distilling forum.
There are better alternatives for stills out there.

I've just bought a Gluten from KegKing this morning.
I was wondering what others have done regards working out grain bill totals and water amounts and hop amounts to hit certain OG and IBU for this equipment?
I've been doing for the last few years a pretty basic BIAB and I use Beersmith.
Could anyone share and help me work out how I should approach it with the new 40L Gluten?

Thanks

I still use my BM profile on Brewers Friend set at 70%, for the Guten, so you could still use your Beersmith for calculating the hops and grain to hit your target. Tip 1 don't leave your power cord in that nice little space made for it, wrap it around the handle, more than once I have filled with water only to have to empty it out to remove the power cord.
2, Make up a measuring stick at 2 litre increments.
3 My boil off rate is 5 litres per hour set on 2,000 watt, I use a hood so could be a slight difference.
4 Personal preference, but I use a higher water to grain ratio in the mash, so it depends on the grain bill, I like about 28 litres in the mash I usually take some out 2-3 litres and put it back after doughing in.

Put a pilsner on today, went back to sparging from full volume, ended up over my estimated OG again, BS3 estimated 10.801P, actual 12.874P :confused:

Cant seem to get it right, full vol=low OG, sparge=high OG.

I've just bought a Gluten from KegKing this morning.
I was wondering what others have done regards working out grain bill totals and water amounts and hop amounts to hit certain OG and IBU for this equipment?
I've been doing for the last few years a pretty basic BIAB and I use Beersmith.
Could anyone share and help me work out how I should approach it with the new 40L Gluten?

Thanks
This is my BS3 config although I'm still fine tuining it

Attachments

• guten.png
    guten.png
    44.2 KB · Views: 400
Put a pilsner on today, went back to sparging from full volume, ended up over my estimated OG again, BS3 estimated 10.801P, actual 12.874P :confused:

Cant seem to get it right, full vol=low OG, sparge=high OG.
Might be a silly question if you do this, do you dial in your water to grain ratio when you were using more water. That is the question I wanted to ask last week and forgot it.

Might be a silly question if you do this, do you dial in your water to grain ratio when you were using more water. That is the question I wanted to ask last week and forgot it.

I just go with the volume recomended by beersmith which is based on the equipment profile so it probably just needs some more fine tuning.

Another question. Given my 2 years of all grain brewing are using BIAB. Do you guys do similar full volume brews in the gluten or do you sparge?
Probably need to read up on batch sparging but do you use Beersmith or the like to work out the volumes etc?

Ok WEAL, based solely on your recommendation I just bought 1 of these :)

and if it doesn't work I'll hunt you down and use this on your veggie patch!

:fallingoffchair:

I'll need about 30 hours work to pay for it, so my beer purchases are done for a couple of months at least.

Then I'll probably need one of those coils to replace the bazooka - I see a big brewgear clearance sale coming up!

Thought I'd get in before the price rise and apologies to the guy behind the counter who had to count all my loose change :)

For my Guten, I'm going to use the hop spider for all hop additions.
Now if I want to do first wort hopping, any ideas how I can do this in this case?
And when would I do it?
If I'm going to sparge would I add the FWHs after the sparge or before?
I was thinking, I could finish the sparge, remove the malt and then add the FWHs in the hop spider as the wort is heating up to boiling. You think this is valid?

If you are using the hop spider you really don't have a choice than to wait until you have finished sparging. Gordon Strong is an advocate of FWH I am not sure if he covers it in this podcast but he is well worth listening to.

For my Guten, I'm going to use the hop spider for all hop additions.
Now if I want to do first wort hopping, any ideas how I can do this in this case?
And when would I do it?
If I'm going to sparge would I add the FWHs after the sparge or before?
I was thinking, I could finish the sparge, remove the malt and then add the FWHs in the hop spider as the wort is heating up to boiling. You think this is valid?

Well my understanding would be with the Guten. FWH would be done as soon as you raise the maltpipe after mashout.
So, raise the pipe, throw your hopspider in the kettle and let the wort drain down over your hops, and start raising the kettle temp.

NOTE: It's not something I do, but that seems the logical way to do it and fit's in with what Gordon Strong mentions in the above video.

Well my understanding would be with the Guten. FWH would be done as soon as you raise the maltpipe after mashout.
So, raise the pipe, throw your hopspider in the kettle and let the wort drain down over your hops, and start raising the kettle temp.

NOTE: It's not something I do, but that seems the logical way to do it and fit's in with what Gordon Strong mentions in the above video.

Thanks. Yes, it’s a Gordon Strong recipe - he seems to do it with all of his recipes.

I’m just starting my brew this morning, my first one on the new Keg King Guten. I’ve set the automatic steps as per instructions. What I’d like to do is store these steps in the memory function however I don’t think the memory function works (at least for me).
I enter the steps in the Auto mode then the instructions say to hold the Manual button for 5 seconds and there will be a chime to indicate it has saved. There is no chime, the only chime is when I release the Manual button. If I now switch off the PCB, switch it on again and then hold Power and Timer for 5 seconds, I see R0S1 shown and if I press start nothing happens or if I press Auto to edit this recipe nothing happens.
Any one else with one of these manage to get the memory function and recall to work?

I’m just starting my brew this morning, my first one on the new Keg King Guten. I’ve set the automatic steps as per instructions. What I’d like to do is store these steps in the memory function however I don’t think the memory function works (at least for me).
I enter the steps in the Auto mode then the instructions say to hold the Manual button for 5 seconds and there will be a chime to indicate it has saved. There is no chime, the only chime is when I release the Manual button. If I now switch off the PCB, switch it on again and then hold Power and Timer for 5 seconds, I see R0S1 shown and if I press start nothing happens or if I press Auto to edit this recipe nothing happens.
Any one else with one of these manage to get the memory function and recall to work?

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bih0m5dgczE/

@chesl73 Sorry just firing mine up for the first time - doing it manually just to check how it's working and in case I miss the end of a step.

The wort looks nice so far :) but I was hoping for a little less variance in mash temp.
Set to 67 and varies from 65.1 to 68.1 - still a lot closer than the BIAB I did before I'm guessing as the recirc is filtering through the grainbed nicely.

Back