Funky Beer Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Definitely have a reserves list. People will drop out.

Well, I think that's my queue! This sort of brewing would be a first for me, and I feel a bit daunted reading the thread. I'll give some things a go and perhaps be able to swap another time. But the beers on the list sound incredible, this will be great. So I think the list should now look like this:

1. Q - Cherry Flanders Red or B. Claussenii Super Saison - Vic
2. Warren - Straight Flanders Red and maybe a Grand Cru if it works - Vic
3. Voota - Kriek Lambic or Orval(ish) - Vic
4. Neonmeate - kriek oud bruin or lambicised supersaison - NSW
5. Stuster - Raspberry Flanders Red or Brett Old Ale - NSW
6. Kook
7. jonw. Flanders brown (orval) which I just happened to make last week.
8. Pmolou- 100% Brett C - Vic
9.mikem108- Orval Clone , bottled 1-5-09
10. Trent - 100% bret (yet to be brewed)
11. Thirsty - Flanders Imperial Stout (Vic)
12. BConnery - Lambic or Fruit Lambic (fruit to be determined depending on what I can get lots of cheaply sometime soon...)

Reserves
1. Kabooby - Belgian Dark Strong with Brett Lambicus and Brett Claussenii or Old ale with Brett Brux (Both of these are conditioning in pinlock kegs atm)

Well, I think that's my queue! This sort of brewing would be a first for me, and I feel a bit daunted reading the thread. I'll give some things a go and perhaps be able to swap another time. But the beers on the list sound incredible, this will be great. So I think the list should now look like this:

6. Kook
12. BConnery - Lambic or Fruit Lambic (fruit to be determined depending on what I can get lots of cheaply sometime soon...)

Reserves
1. Kabooby - Belgian Dark Strong with Brett Lambicus and Brett Claussenii or Old ale with Brett Brux (Both of these are conditioning in pinlock kegs atm)

Ah sorry to see you drop out, hopefully if this swap goes well I'd like to make this sour beer swap a yearly thing, so have a play and any luck join us on the next one.
Q

Sorry but also got to drop out also , counted my bottles on the weekend and don't have enough of either size bottled for the swap.

6. Kook

Reserves
2. Disco Stu - Orval Clone bottled 14/5/09

6. Kook

Reserves
2. Disco Stu - Orval Clone bottled 14/5/09

It was suggested to me that a sour beer swap should by rights include what is very much my signature beer, the Belgian Sour Orange Ale. Now this doesn't contain any Brett etc. but is soured by the variety of fruit, but by god it is sour, especially if drunk early.
Now the rules are fairly loose so may or may not disclude this, so I'll happily go with majority rules on this one. I could throw some lambic dregs in it actually, but I might not have time for that, and it would really take it from something that I know is good, to something very experimental (which I might do anyway :)...)

So, after all that, as I said, happy to go with the majority, but if I can include it that's my preference...

5. Stuster - Brett porter or Brett Old Ale - NSW
6. Kook
9. Kabooby - Belgian Dark Strong with Brett Lambicus and Brett Claussenii or Old ale with Brett Brux (Both of these are conditioning in pinlock kegs atm)

Reserves
1. notung

I think that's how it looks now after mikem dropped out. :(

Ben, my vote is that I'm happy to have a beer soured with fruit, but I'm happy to go with the majority vote on this.

I've got two batches bottled and I'll just see which one turns out best. The raspberry flanders is very nice I think but there's just not enough of it. I've also got another old ale which I'll be bottling soon so that might be another possibility.

Hopefully soon going to be brewing up a lambic and a berliner weisse. :D

It was suggested to me that a sour beer swap should by rights include what is very much my signature beer, the Belgian Sour Orange Ale. Now this doesn't contain any Brett etc. but is soured by the variety of fruit, but by god it is sour, especially if drunk early.
Now the rules are fairly loose so may or may not disclude this, so I'll happily go with majority rules on this one. I could throw some lambic dregs in it actually, but I might not have time for that, and it would really take it from something that I know is good, to something very experimental (which I might do anyway :)...)

So, after all that, as I said, happy to go with the majority, but if I can include it that's my preference...

Guess there's two ways of taking funky!
Funky as in using non-saccharomyces species to achieve some/all of the fermentation.

Or just using ingredients/process (was thinking sour mash, however that'd be lacto at work so technically the first option) to achieve funky flavours.

In general for this swap I'd like it to be the first option, but I'd love to taste your sour orange ale so i'd be more than happy for you to submit this to the swap.

Anyone had any thoughts about logistics for the swap.
The only option I have thought of is this; that there is a central sorting spot, which everyone organizes to get their contribution to via post/otherwise, and includes enough for postage back to them(or pickup).
Any other options?

BTW stuster thanks for picking up on my stuffup :)

I've got 5L of brett. C starter that i'll unleash on a blonde ale as soon as I get sick of thesis writing(oh crap thats now! maybe this weekend)
Cheers
Q

Q, in terms of logistics, how about central points for each city/state. I'm happy to be the distributor for the few of us in Sydney/NSW (or for the whole swap). Since there are more in Vic than anywhere else, that might be the best place to have the central point though.

Nice idea. Would it be continued in future years and if so would it include things like wild yeast fermented/breton style cider?

I'm not yet at this point but it piques my interest for the future.

Q, in terms of logistics, how about central points for each city/state. I'm happy to be the distributor for the few of us in Sydney/NSW (or for the whole swap). Since there are more in Vic than anywhere else, that might be the best place to have the central point though.

Thats not a bad idea, if it saves postage. It'd potentially mean getting a courier though if you are meaning sending it in one big parcel though, otherwise if we send in multiple parcels, might as well just send directly.
Probably worth getting a quote or two for it i guess.
It'd be even better if someone from the state was travelling for business/holiday etc and could take them back.
Something worth keeping in mind.

Nice idea. Would it be continued in future years and if so would it include things like wild yeast fermented/breton style cider?

I'm not yet at this point but it piques my interest for the future.

Sounds interesting, I'd be happy enough to include it, although would go with the masses on this. I guess it fits into that specialty beverage box that won't be everyones cup of tea(because i'd guess it's a bit more tart/sour than normal).

I really hope this works out well, and can become a yearly thing, we've got lots of good brewers on here doing some really interesting stuff on the dark side of brewing.

Q

OK
Some news, I tasted my bottled flanders red, tastes overly oaked for it's low acidity however I think with some age the acidity will develop and it'll end up a nicely balanced beer.
Otherwise the other 20L I have has been subjected to multiple feeding of morello cherries and has acquired a nice level of acidity/fruitiness, I'm almost inclined to keg it and cpbf it, it tastes delicious.

Took the day off today and brewed my belgian blonde which will be fermented without any yeast just brettanomyces claussenii(5L starter), also brewed a saison which I'll ferment first with saison yeast then innoculate with brett. I'll see how they turn out, if i'm not happy with the FRA i'll sub in one of these if they taste good.

Shall we set a date by which case swaps have to be at the swap point. I'm thinking late november, so that they can be back in everyones hands before christmas.

Q

Took the day off today and brewed my belgian blonde which ...

Q
How's that thesis coming along, or was this the planned event. jk, hopefully CM2 and I are going to co-brew a bit of funk this weekend, so definitely looking to next years swap.

How's that thesis coming along, or was this the planned event. jk, hopefully CM2 and I are going to co-brew a bit of funk this weekend, so definitely looking to next years swap.

hehe this was necessary head space clearing time, what are you going to brew?

Q

Shall we set a date by which case swaps have to be at the swap point. I'm thinking late november, so that they can be back in everyones hands before christmas.

Sounds like a good time frame to me. A mixed dozen funky beers for Xmas sounds like a great present. :icon_cheers:

My brett porter is bottled (half kegged) and tasting good. Also going to bottle my second batch of Flanders Red very soon having just looked at my records and it's been in secondary for 9 months now. I have a batch of brett old ale which I might just be lazy and keg. And I've got a smack pack of the Wyeast Berliner Weisse from last year which is very slowly puffing up which is another possible. Will see how they all taste nearer the date.

I seem to be going wild for funky beers this year. :icon_drool2:

I seem to be going wild for funky beers this year. :icon_drool2:
Me too, i'm stoked that I seem to have been able to keep them contained to the "contaminated" equipment, no cross-infected brews as yet. Fingers crossed.
I used some of my case swap mild wort as a starter for the brett. claussenii and I had a taste today, fricken delicious. It tasted clean and really quite nice.

Q

hehe this was necessary head space clearing time, what are you going to brew?

Q
We're going to construct the recipe over a few beers this week, but initially looking at at a flanders oud bruin or red but perhaps a mystery ingredient or 2 for a differentiator, bet you can guess...

We're going to construct the recipe over a few beers this week, but initially looking at at a flanders oud bruin or red but perhaps a mystery ingredient or 2 for a differentiator, bet you can guess...

Do a rye oud bruin, that'd be interesting. You've got the belgian malts required too. :icon_chickcheers:

november's good for me. my cherries have been in the barrel for only 3 months and i think they need another 3.

actually i have just bottled the bugger - it was all done and the cherries were just drained brown exoskeletons. might have overdone the mahlab.... but should be a winner - very sour and leathery and fruity, 8% ABV. will probably make this my entry, the lambic-saison is a bit on the smokey/bandaid side.

Latest posts

Back