Funky Beer Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In --

1. Q - Cherry Flanders Red or B. Claussenii Super Saison - Vic
2. Warren - Straight Flanders Red and maybe a Grand Cru if it works - Vic
3. Voota - Kriek Lambic or Orval(ish) - Vic
4. Neonmeate - kriek oud bruin or lambicised supersaison - NSW
5. Stuster - Raspberry Flanders Red or Brett Old Ale - NSW
6. Kook
7. Notung - funky beer to be confirmed - VIC
8. Pmolou- 100% Brett C - Vic
9.mikem108- Orval Clone , bottled 1-5-09
10. Trent - 100% bret (yet to be brewed)
11. Thirsty - Flanders Imperial Stout (Vic)

It's a scary prospect because it means I'll actually have to decide what to do with them instead of just watching the pellicle on my two but count me in...The prospect of all those tasty funked beers is just too tempting.

6. Kook
12. BConnery - Lambic or Fruit Lambic (fruit to be determined depending on what I can get lots of cheaply sometime soon...)

OK so what do we do now guys, we have 12 on the list. Do we start a reserves list in case anyone drops out? or are we all happy to extend the numbers of the swap. Will everyone be able to cater for say 18 people (36x330mL or 18x750mL)?
Cheers
Q

id love to taste this swap. ashame im not brewing any wild beers yet. this is a stunner of an idea though. maybe next time

OK so what do we do now guys, we have 12 on the list. Do we start a reserves list in case anyone drops out? or are we all happy to extend the numbers of the swap. Will everyone be able to cater for say 18 people (36x330mL or 18x750mL)?
Cheers
Q

Definitely have a reserves list. People will drop out.
I like the idea of 12 as a number though, my double batch of lambic wort wasn't full sized...

those cherries will soak up a bit of beer so I think i might struggle to cater for 18....

are we gonna bottle in p.e.t aswell/ dont want the whole explosion thing happening :lol:

also i noticed trents doing a 100% and brett and q might do a brett c saison and im doing a 100% brett c so could be interesting to see what tecniques get the pineaplle flavour ... no aeration/ aeration, temps and so on

6. Kook
12. BConnery - Lambic or Fruit Lambic (fruit to be determined depending on what I can get lots of cheaply sometime soon...)

Reserve #1: jonw. Flanders brown (orval) which I just happened to make last week.

Wow! I'd imagine this'd be a hard one to balance. What kind of IBU's are you shooting for? Is it going to be sour or just brett.?

mmm its a bit too sour atm - to be honest, it wasn't originally meant to be a sour beer, and a large proportion of the batch it isn't particularly. I made an RIS and aged it in an oak barrel. I was a bit lazy on the topping up, noticed it starting to develop some acetic character and decanted half asap - the rest I decided to leave in there and fester. So it went all grand cru on me. Quite a bit of acetic and now a chunk of lactic as well. I pulled it out of the barrel a little too late I think and its probably too sour now. The base beer is well over a year old at this point, so the bitterness is low for an RIS and the roastiness is relatively low for an RIS as well and further subdued by the sourness. I will probably split what I have into two lots, then add brett (orval culture) to one of them and see where it goes.

Also been doing some experimenting with back blending with other beers to build complexity and cut down the acidity a little. As of right now, I like a little glass of it straight - a black and tan with it is really nice - and so far the best of all is a portagaff (stout shandy) with 1/3 lemonade and 2/3rds sour stout - its a 6.5-7% abv shandy and the dilution of the acidity actually brings the roastiness out in the mix more prominently- I've been considering making this "the" mix and putting the portagaff on tap... but I will hold off till I have got the Brett version ready so I can see what else its possible to blend up.

Actually - its beer oclock and I think I might go pour myself a falling down stout shandy right now - I have a jaffatorte in the fridge for afternoon tea and I think the match might just be a good one... hmmm, orange flavours... thats an idea for the stout too. Tart, bitter, orange - like a chocolate cake with marmalade filling. Jaffa stout!!

6. Kook

Reserves
1: jonw. Flanders brown (orval) which I just happened to make last week.
2. Kabooby - Belgian Dark Strong with Brett Lambicus and Brett Claussenii or Old ale with Brett Brux (Both of these are conditioning in pinlock kegs atm)

Sounds like a great idea. I think the logistics will need some brain storming

Kabooby :)

are we gonna bottle in p.e.t aswell/ dont want the whole explosion thing happening :lol:

also i noticed trents doing a 100% and brett and q might do a brett c saison and im doing a 100% brett c so could be interesting to see what tecniques get the pineaplle flavour ... no aeration/ aeration, temps and so on

P.E.T makes for easier courier/postage too.
In the absence of a corking/capping setup I was planning to do mine in plastic anyway...

For experienced brett bottlers, are your standard 'king browns' still suitable or is there just too much risk if you don't get the priming right? Do you need to cork or triage cap (whatever those wire things are...)?
In most lambic threads I've read people do but is this as much for the tradition or romance of the whole process?

P.E.T makes for easier courier/postage too.
In the absence of a corking/capping setup I was planning to do mine in plastic anyway...

For experienced brett bottlers, are your standard 'king browns' still suitable or is there just too much risk if you don't get the priming right? Do you need to cork or triage cap (whatever those wire things are...)?
In most lambic threads I've read people do but is this as much for the tradition or romance of the whole process?

I'm not willing to dictate a bottle for this swap as I thought we'd be relying on what people have around(possibly pre-bottled). I think people should definitely be cautious though when priming. checking of the residual sugar before bottling etc.

I think the best option for long term storage is just crowny and wax to cover it. Proper corking is more for the romance of it all imo. I use champage bottles and plastic corks for higher carbonation brews, as I quite like being able to let the cork shoot, adds to the experience :p.
If it's going to blow PET will still go, just slightly less dangerous. I wouldn't age anything in it given the choice. Plus I'd never re-use PET if it's had brett in it.
The point about post/couriering it is a valid one, but only if we all used it, which I don't think will be the case.

The ideal way I'd recieve the beers from this swap would be 2 x 330mL stubbies from each as this will allow the drinking of one/cellaring of the other.

Q

I'm not willing to dictate a bottle for this swap as I thought we'd be relying on what people have around(possibly pre-bottled). I think people should definitely be cautious though when priming. checking of the residual sugar before bottling etc.

I think the best option for long term storage is just crowny and wax to cover it. Proper corking is more for the romance of it all imo. I use champage bottles and plastic corks for higher carbonation brews, as I quite like being able to let the cork shoot, adds to the experience :p.
If it's going to blow PET will still go, just slightly less dangerous. I wouldn't age anything in it given the choice. Plus I'd never re-use PET if it's had brett in it.
The point about post/couriering it is a valid one, but only if we all used it, which I don't think will be the case.

The ideal way I'd recieve the beers from this swap would be 2 x 330mL stubbies from each as this will allow the drinking of one/cellaring of the other.

Q

Another way if you fear glass blowing up would be to wrap some strong(ish) tape around the bottle first. At least then if it blows the tape would/should work like a blast mat of sorts.

Q the 2 x 330ml sounds a good idea.

Warren -

i havent had exploding brews since 1997... and i've made a lot of brett beers since then. some gushers, yes, bombs, no. i hope everyone will leave their brett on the beer for a couple of months minimum. hope auspost doesnt hear about this thread...

so its been 4 days and my 100% brett C finally started bubbling :icon_chickcheers: got it at 22celcius and will bump the temp up to 28 (slowly) once fermentation slows/nearly halted similar to how i do my belgians. Pitched only the wyeast pack no starter minimal aeration and should come out around 7% alcohol so pushing the yeast pretty hard in hope of the classic brett c flavour

I blended and bottled my kinda straight flanders last night, smelt delicious. Will blend the remainder and make a very cherry kinda one.

Q

Would love to be in on this but unfortunately only have 10 litres of a smoked porter currently sitting on the Roselare (been in there for 4 months so far).

I will be brewing another funky beer soon and will do a full batch so hopefully there may be another swap later.

C&B
TDA

I'm not looking to mandate any particular bottling method or size just looking to get ideas more for myself as I haven't ever bottled brett based beers as yet, other wild yeast beers yes :(, but not Brett.
My two beers will have been on the brett for something close to a year so I'm guessing I should be ok.
Now I just have to work out the best bottling method, fresh yeast etc, but that can go in another thread...

I must admit my patience has been sorely tested, even with the beers hidden away in my bug brewery (the cupboard under the stairs...).
I have had some cheeky taste samples though and they are definitely lambics...

I'm not looking to mandate any particular bottling method or size just looking to get ideas more for myself as I haven't ever bottled brett based beers as yet, other wild yeast beers yes :(, but not Brett.
My two beers will have been on the brett for something close to a year so I'm guessing I should be ok.
Now I just have to work out the best bottling method, fresh yeast etc, but that can go in another thread...

I must admit my patience has been sorely tested, even with the beers hidden away in my bug brewery (the cupboard under the stairs...).
I have had some cheeky taste samples though and they are definitely lambics...

Apparently Us-05 works well even with fairly acidic beer in there, otherwise the lalvin champagne yeast is another good option.

Q

Latest posts

Back