Funky Beer Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bottled my FRA about a month or so ago. Tasting great before bottling. Not alarmed but snuck a bottle just to see how the carb is progressing. It's very light carb at the moment but the scary bit is the beer tastes exactly like corn chips!! :huh:

I think November is good for me. This beer is going to need at least that long to bottle condition in an orderly manner. I don't want to give everybody Doritos Red Ale.

Warren -

actually i have just bottled the bugger - it was all done and the cherries were just drained brown exoskeletons. might have overdone the mahlab.... but should be a winner - very sour and leathery and fruity, 8% ABV. will probably make this my entry, the lambic-saison is a bit on the smokey/bandaid side.

Looking forward to tasting it, sounds intriguing, how cherry flavoured is it?
The all brett blonde thing I have fermenting has a massive krausen, be interested to see how it starts to taste in a week or two.

Q

i threw in 5kg of (frozen) sour cherries into 18L of beer so it's pretty damn cherry-y. seemed to add about 10 grav points to the end product, but hard to tell. certainly no doubting what fruit it is when you smell it. should be interesting to compare to other cherry beers in the swap.
roll on november!

did you overdo the maize a bit in the FRA warren?

did you overdo the maize a bit in the FRA warren?

No maize NM... My guess is it was probably just a yeasty flavour from the packet of US-05 used for priming. Hopefully time will smooth it over.

Warren -

Ok so is everyone happy to get their contribution to a central point in melbourne (me), by the end of november.

If it is to be posted back to you please make sure your contribution arrives in suitable packing for it to be sent back to you safely.
I'm happy to hold onto your swap for a month or so if that is more convenient if you wish to pick it up, otherwise I can post it back to you if you transfer some money for the postage back.

I'll pm my details soon.

If you have any suggestions/queries as to how this could work better please post them up

Q

Ok so you've all heard brettanomyces is a slow fermenter right? ('scuse the gladwrap, didn't want to contaminate my carboy lids)

DSC00093.JPG

This is sitting in the shed at around 16 degrees in melbournes winter. Nuts!!!

BTW there is 22L of liquid, +10L krausen

far out haha how large was your starter

5L, I had read that a large starter was good, and I thought it'd be interesting to compare a large starter version and compare it with yours, which was done just with a smack pack, right? Looking forward to comparing them.

Cheers
Q

5L, I had read that a large starter was good, and I thought it'd be interesting to compare a large starter version and compare it with yours, which was done just with a smack pack, right? Looking forward to comparing them.

Cheers
Q

yer thats right mine was just the smack pack... yer it will be interesting to taste the differance mines not tasting like i thought it would atm but its completly changed its flavour in the last month or so

my sour stout is getting less sour.... Buggered if I know how, but time in the keg has unsoured it somehow. Its still sour alright.. but not like it was. Actually better now, more roast coming through and making it more stout like.

I will be putting the dregs of a couple of orvals into one of the kegs in the next couple of days ... see what that does to it.

well whaddeyer know i just bottled the lambic supersaison and it's surprisingly good. and sour. and hoppy. and barnyardy.
i don't know which one to submit. would you all prefer a kriek oud bruin (WY9097) (we already have a couple of cherry beers) or a 9.5% dryhopped soured saison (spiked with cuvee rene and cantillon dregs)?

well whaddeyer know i just bottled the lambic supersaison and it's surprisingly good. and sour. and hoppy. and barnyardy.
i don't know which one to submit. would you all prefer a kriek oud bruin (WY9097) (we already have a couple of cherry beers) or a 9.5% dryhopped soured saison (spiked with cuvee rene and cantillon dregs)?

Damn dude, they all sound extremely tasty.
Maybe you can send a bottle of each for the swap-organizer to report on. ;)
The All-brett pale ale was initially quite tropical and clean however after 3 weeks with the heatbelt on at 22 degrees it has funked up a bit. Smells a little like young lambic, very mild tang developing, it's crying for some sourness though. I'm thinking I'll bottle half as is, half with rasberries.
The brett saison is not so much of a super saison as I had planned, I left out the sugar as I was happy with it where it was at without adding the sugar, plus the brett will dry it enough I think.

Cheers
Q

maple and I ended up making a double batch old bruin. split the batch, ferment with 2 differant primary yeasts then infect. I think Maple is also going to chuck some oak chips and other stuff at his version and i'll keep mine as a standard. good practice for next year's funky swap. Im also going to have a crack at a funky old ale.

:icon_drool2: super saison. god Q you make drool worthy beers.

maple and I ended up making a double batch old bruin. split the batch, ferment with 2 differant primary yeasts then infect. I think Maple is also going to chuck some oak chips and other stuff at his version and i'll keep mine as a standard. good practice for next year's funky swap. Im also going to have a crack at a funky old ale.

Yeah, threw some Talisker soaked oak at it, which will be the oak I use for the next one. a little process I like to call purfecting (purposely infencting), which will be a Rye-based funk-junk

my all-brett pellicle (at least pellicle like stuff) just dropped so will bottle soon smells completly differant to a month ago looking forward to trying it :D

my all-brett pellicle (at least pellicle like stuff) just dropped so will bottle soon smells completly differant to a month ago looking forward to trying it :D

Ah cool, mine has just formed a decent pellicle, I'm hoping it tartens up a bit to balance it cos it's only around 20ibu's.

Are you going to have a taste soon? Let us know how it tastes.
I've been kinda suprised how clean the all brett blonde i brewed is. I'm a bit annoyed honestly, the 5L of starter I grew the brett up in was really tropical fruity, however the blonde I used the starter for is not that estery. Guess it's my fault for pitching such a large amount. I'd just heard conflicting advice about fermenting all brett beers. ah well.

Cheers
Q

hey sorry been a while been really busy yeah haven't started tasting much really although like yours mine strted very tropical fruity but now has something else going on... we'll see though that was around 2 months ago...

PS. when is the swap happening? i'm fairly cramped for time atm

Some what suprised GMK's name is not in this swap or is he banned from this one too :eek:

Sorry it was there for the taking.... :lol:

How is everyone going with this?

Mine is still in the keg. Just want to make sure I bottle with enough time so its carbed and ready to go.

Might have to finalize some of the transport aswell.

Kabooby :)

Latest posts

Back