Funky Beer Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine are all bottled and funking up. There are a few to choose between. I was even thinking of sending out a few different funky beers so that I could get thoughts on different ones. Would anybody have any objection to that? :unsure:

I was really tempted to pull out of these due to transport / logistics issues but the prospect of a carton of funky beers is just to hard to resist...

Have to go home and look at the stocks.
I should have time to put down a sour orange to ferment, carb and deliver before the end of November deadline.
Otherwise I might just have to suck it up and let you guys have some of the lambics...

Just to make things even more difficult for our appointed organiser I\'d like to float another idea.
Quintrex, would you be happy, or at least willing :) , to sort out multiple beers? Happy to send you down an extra something for your trouble...
What I was thinking was to ask those in the swap what they\'d prefer, and send down potentially 3 different beers, which you would then have to sort out into what people wanted.
It is cheeky of me I know but I am looking to a) deliver beers that people would prefer and b.) Keep more variety in my stocks ;) :)

Otherwise you can tell me to get stuffed and I\'ll more than happily brew or send down just one...

What I have are:
My Sour Orange Belgian Ale Flanders Red inspired recipe with the sour oranges
Mixed Berry Lambic Tasting like a youngish fruit lambic
Fig Lambic Tastes more like a straight lambic, with a little sweetness up front.

Edit: It took me a while to type this and work at the same time and I see that Stuster has asked the same thing :)

I was really tempted to pull out of these due to transport / logistics issues but the prospect of a carton of funky beers is just to hard to resist...

Have to go home and look at the stocks.
I should have time to put down a sour orange to ferment, carb and deliver before the end of November deadline.
Otherwise I might just have to suck it up and let you guys have some of the lambics...

Just to make things even more difficult for our appointed organiser I\'d like to float another idea.
Quintrex, would you be happy, or at least willing :) , to sort out multiple beers? Happy to send you down an extra something for your trouble...
What I was thinking was to ask those in the swap what they\'d prefer, and send down potentially 3 different beers, which you would then have to sort out into what people wanted.
It is cheeky of me I know but I am looking to a) deliver beers that people would prefer and b.) Keep more variety in my stocks ;) :)

Otherwise you can tell me to get stuffed and I\'ll more than happily brew or send down just one...

What I have are:
My Sour Orange Belgian Ale Flanders Red inspired recipe with the sour oranges
Mixed Berry Lambic Tasting like a youngish fruit lambic
Fig Lambic Tastes more like a straight lambic, with a little sweetness up front.

Edit: It took me a while to type this and work at the same time and I see that Stuster has asked the same thing :)

I'm happy to do mixed sorting, my only concern is how do you want to decide who gets what though?
Wiki? Random? Or have a list in the thread

Q

I'm happy to do mixed sorting, my only concern is how do you want to decide who gets what though?
Wiki? Random? Or have a list in the thread

Q

I was thinking list in the thread but random would obviously be easier for you...
Again happy to go with people's thought's on this one.

Maybe I'll just send down a bunch and people can indicate if they have a strong preference...

i could throw in some krieks as well as the lambic saison too, i've got no problem with mixing it up, as long as we all get sour beers!

posting in regards to a 2010 funk swap if there is one.

Im likely to have 3 batches up for offer now. went to pitch yeast on a vienna lager and a NS/Galaxy Summer ale last night.....the bastards are alreadying fermenting...wild yeast! so the vienna lager now has some lager yeast in there as well and is in the fridge, so we'll see how that turns out. not sure about that one....however the summer ale smelt...well saisony so i pitched some saison onto that. will see how they pan out.

then of course there's the old bruin which was purpose made.

Hey guys
I've PM'd details regarding the swap logistics, I hope it's clear(please forgive me if it's not as I've had an extended pub b-day lunch today).

This is how the list stands currently, let me know if you can't do it anymore or if you can be a reserve.
Swaps are due at mine by the end of November preferably.

1. Q - Cherry Flanders Red or B. Claussenii Super Saison - Vic
2. Warren - Straight Flanders Red and maybe a Grand Cru if it works - Vic
3. Voota - Kriek Lambic or Orval(ish) - Vic
4. Neonmeate - kriek oud bruin or lambicised supersaison - NSW
5. Stuster - Brett porter or Brett Old Ale - NSW
6. Kook
7. jonw. Flanders brown (orval) which I just happened to make last week.
8. Pmolou- 100% Brett C - Vic
9. Kabooby - Belgian Dark Strong with Brett Lambicus and Brett Claussenii or Old ale with Brett Brux (Both of these are conditioning in pinlock kegs atm)
10. Trent - 100% bret (yet to be brewed)
11. Thirsty - Flanders Imperial Stout (Vic)
12. BConnery - Lambic or Fruit Lambic (fruit to be determined depending on what I can get lots of cheaply sometime soon...)

Cheers

Q

Please do this again.

Once I have a vague understanding of decoction and water chemistry, the next thing I want to experiment with will be some kind of funky thing (whether lambic, naturally fermented cider or brett type dubbel a la orval).

Once I have a vague understanding of decoction and water chemistry, the next thing I want to experiment with will be some kind of funky thing (whether lambic, naturally fermented cider or brett type dubbel a la orval).

If it's the lambic option, I'd get started now for the 2012 swap. :icon_cheers:

Q, sounds good. I'm definitely still in. Now to decide for sure on what to send and how to send it. :D

Don't think I'd swap a lambic until I'd tried at least one or two so maybe that's for 2015? Inspirational nonetheless.

can't wait to taste all this stuff. whose will be the sourest? the stinkiest? the scariest?

citymorgue like you the leftover bugs from my brett kriek in my scratched plastic bucket hatched a blitzkrieg of brett into my rye alt... might throw a bottle or two of that in too, if it turns out all right. (must be some nice yeast infections you can get in a city morgue)

Definately still in. I think I am looking forward to this more than xmas. Is that wrong? :unsure:

Kabooby :)

Just replied to Quintrex - sorry, I'd totally forgotten about this. I'm in though! I've got enough Flanders Red (~ 3 months in bottle, blend of 12 month and 18 month old beer when it was bottled) to participate, provided 640ml longnecks are acceptable.

Is everyone contributing longnecks? Or is anyone planning on using multiple stubbies? Reason I ask is this will change how I ship my beer, as if all use longnecks then a styrofoam wine shipping case can be used (holds 12 longnecks).

i'm using stubbies for mine. never use longnecks anymore cause all my beers are 9-10%ABV these days.
can't wait to try a few of these flanders reds.

your kellerbier sounds interesting

I'd like to get an idea of what people would prefer - my base beer is a barrel aged sour imperial stout... I like it.

BUT - I did a little fruitifying and blending... and turned that sour imperial stout into a Sour Raspberry imperial stout.. which won the specialty beer class at Vicbrew as a fruit beer and I believe came 4th at the Natonals.

Which would people prefer.. the unadulterated sour RIS or the proven to be good Sour Raspberry RIS ?? I can do either for the swap.

TB

I'm not in the swap but you can send me one or the other or both at once if you would like.

Sounds very super delicious and I would like your recipes if they are not trade secrets.

Hey TB,

Can't say I have had a sour RIS or a sour Rasberry RIS before so I am not bothered either way.

Kabooby :)

Like kabooby, I've never had either, but the raspberry variation sounds good to me, TB. :chug:

I'd definitely like the rasberry version...

I've just got to get around to bottling the lambics. I've had a look at the sour orange supply and I'm not sure I'll be sending any of those now :)
Transport option is sorted...

Looking forward to this!

Latest posts

Back