Funky Beer Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm just thinking - if everyone tries to organise their own courier - its going to be hell on poor old Q trying to be around for all the various pick-ups etc. Gonna be hard enough on him with deliveries. I am thinking that depending on his circumstances... he might have to do a bit of running around to courier depots etc.

So (and I am speaking for Q without his say so or knowledge of his circumstances here) it might be easier on him if people use Aus Post to ship their cases out... then the furthest he has to go is his local post office for missed deliveries.

AND - as for returning the cases. I suggest that once the boxes are sorted and packed, they can be weighed and measured and Q (or someone) can get a quote for return delivery from a courier or whatever.. maybe even a bulk discount.. and then after people send him the dough, he only has to deal with one pick-up by one company, one time.

This might cost a few extra bucks, but is inclusive of a kindness premium to the organiser of the swap.

Tell me to shut up if I am out of line Q

Thirsty

Can anyone explain how postage for a dozen of wine is so cheap via auspost yet a standard parcel so expensive?
Examples
http://cgi.ebay.com.my/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...em=160331514532
http://www.wineselectors.com.au/WineSelect...Calculator.aspx
maybe I can try and get bulk pricing for all the return deliveries?

Thirsty/All: I'm happy for people to use couriers however if they do, I'd like explicit consent/instructions given to the courier company to leave it at my door/verandah. My wife works is in the car a lot and so pops past home regularly so they should be fairly safe.
It's a good point that you make, driving out woop woop to the courier depot is less then fun, especially if it becomes a regular occurrence.
I'm home a fair bit at the moment just making corrections to the thesis and applying for jobs but i'm sure i'll become a lot more time-poor once I get a job.

All: I think as we only have 10 members of the swap now you only have to send enough to give one to everyone else. i.e. 9 and you won't get a bottle of your own back.
Ben please note i'd still love you to send me a sour orange beer :) cheers for that.

I'm most intrigued at the prospect of trying a fig lambic. Can you give us any tasting notes so far.

My Brett saison is tasting pretty interesting so I'm thinking I'll submit maybe half saison / half cherry flanders red.

Cheers
Q

i'll send down 18 stubbies of the lambic saisons plus a couple of random thankyou beers for Quintrex. and i mean random! i'm happy with Auspost for simplicity if not price

OK - are there firm "must be at Quintrex's house by" dates?

And if you have a date in mind for sorting/re-packing Q, should you so desire, give us a yell and I will do my best to come round and give you a hand.

TB

OK - are there firm "must be at Quintrex's house by" dates?

And if you have a date in mind for sorting/re-packing Q, should you so desire, give us a yell and I will do my best to come round and give you a hand.

TB

How does 4th of december at my house as absolute latest cut off sound. That should give me time to have them sorted, packed and posted back to everyone by christmas.

I might take you up on the swap help, depending on how busy I get over the next month, good excuse for a catch up anyway :).

We might need to get firm confirmations from people in the next week so that people don't send more bottles then are needed if people pull out.

Cheers
Q

I'm definitely in. Will probably send them next week. Will reinforce the 'leave at door' message to whichever courier I get. Will work out final beers etc on the weekend.

Anybody in NSW want to send them combined?

All: I think as we only have 10 members of the swap now you only have to send enough to give one to everyone else. i.e. 9 and you won't get a bottle of your own back.
Ben please note i'd still love you to send me a sour orange beer :) cheers for that.

I'm most intrigued at the prospect of trying a fig lambic. Can you give us any tasting notes so far.

Cheers
Q
Excellent. I'll take some out then. The sour orange will stay in. The one you will get, assuming safe arrival, is approaching a year old. Fermented with t58 dry then for laughs I chucked in a sample tube of 3711 I had been saving to build a starter sometime.
Even with that small an amount of yeast count it promptly took over where the t58 had left off and fermented the thing down to 1004 or so.

The fig lambic is definitely lambic like. It actually has more of the tart finish and funky notes of a very young lambic, in fact at the recent QABC the judges, albiet missing the information about which fruit it was, suggested it may have gone better as a straight lambic.
The fig isn't a dominant flavour. There's an upfront sweetness that disappears quickly into the sour and tart note.

I had some sample when bottling but it has been a while since I carbed on up. I'll check the progress of the carbonation soon anyway and might pop one for more detailed sampling.

I think the mixed berry is probably a better beer overall but I really like the fig one.

Can anyone explain how postage for a dozen of wine is so cheap via auspost yet a standard parcel so expensive?

This will work perfect for me - I'll send 9x 640ml (I hope that size is acceptable guys?) in a dozen wine shipper. I'll have to send it off this week - off to Europe next week! I'll be offline for a couple weeks - so if you can just hold my bottles Quintrex, then I'll arrange for return shipping payments / details when I get back. There should be enough room in the box for my return bottles, even if a few people have stubbies instead.

I'm definitely in. Will probably send them next week. Will reinforce the 'leave at door' message to whichever courier I get. Will work out final beers etc on the weekend.

Anybody in NSW want to send them combined?

Happy to send them combined. Who else in NSW wants to send them combined?

Kabooby :)

If you aren't marked as confirmed on the following list please give a post/PM to confirm or pull out

I'm awaiting confirmation from Voota(who is away), jonw, Pmolou

1. Q - Cherry Flanders Red or B. Claussenii Saison - Vic - Confirmed
3. Voota - Kriek Lambic or Orval(ish) - Vic
4. Neonmeate - kriek oud bruin or lambicised supersaison - NSW - Confirmed
5. Stuster - Brett porter or Brett Old Ale - NSW - Confirmed
6. Kook - Confirmed
7. jonw. Flanders brown (orval) which I just happened to make last week.
8. Pmolou- 100% Brett C - Vic
9. Kabooby - Confirmed
11. Thirsty - Flanders Imperial Stout (Vic) - Confirmed
12. BConnery - Confirmed

Cheers
Q

Happy to send them combined. Who else in NSW wants to send them combined?

sure i can do that - how shall we work it - was that an offer to do the nsw ones stuster? i can drop em round ashfield way for you this weekend if you like - with $ for courier and a couple of beers for your trouble.

Good on ya guys, a bit of a headache working out the logistics when you have to post off bottles and collaborate them all again later, we have the same with the NZ case swap but when it all comes together at the end its well worth it :icon_cheers:

sure i can do that - how shall we work it - was that an offer to do the nsw ones stuster? i can drop em round ashfield way for you this weekend if you like - with $ for courier and a couple of beers for your trouble.

I can do that. I'll PM you with my number so we can organise that. kabooby, can you drop them around my place?

Hopefully we can organize next years swap to occur around the week of ANHC 2010, that way we might get people able to hand deliver their swaps saving all this courier stuff :).

Q

I can do that. I'll PM you with my number so we can organise that. kabooby, can you drop them around my place?
Sure can. If it's ok with you I might bring them all back to my work to make it easier for the courier to pick up.

Is everyone happy with the courier prices I posted before?

Sure can. If it's ok with you I might bring them all back to my work to make it easier for the courier to pick up.

Is everyone happy with the courier prices I posted before?

That sounds perfect to me. :super:

I'm awaiting confirmation from Voota(who is away, gets back this coming weekend) and jonw

If everyone sends 9 and someone pulls out last minute, i'll just randomly distribute the extra bottles.

4. Neonmeate - Confirmed
5. Stuster - Confirmed
6. Kook - Confirmed
7. jonw. -
8. Pmolou- Vic - Confirmed
9. Kabooby - Confirmed
11. Thirsty - Confirmed
12. BConnery - Confirmed

Looking forward to this guys.

Cheers
Q

Hey Q,

Do you want us to send all the beers down or just the ones that need to be swapped. The beers for the other NSW brewers don't really need to be sent down for you to send them back again. It just adds to the postage cost. We can swap those beers here and just send down enough beers for everyone else in the swap.

Hey Q,

Do you want us to send all the beers down or just the ones that need to be swapped. The beers for the other NSW brewers don't really need to be sent down for you to send them back again. It just adds to the postage cost. We can swap those beers here and just send down enough beers for everyone else in the swap.

That's cool, very good idea.

Just give me a heads up when to expect a delivery.

Cheers
Q

No worries.

I will also send some type of list to make it easier with the sorting. ie what we sent and what we need back.

My box of 9 beers was sent today via Auspost Parcel service. Should arrive within 4-10 business days. Cost $34.10.

4. Neonmeate - Confirmed
5. Stuster - Confirmed
6. Kook - Flanders Red Ale (small printed label on Cap) - Confirmed and Sent
7. jonw. -
8. Pmolou- Vic - Confirmed
9. Kabooby - Confirmed
11. Thirsty - Confirmed
12. BConnery - Confirmed

Quick note - after Thursday I won't have email again till 6th December. If by some chance the beer doesn't turn up by 4th December, or bottles are damaged in transit, just count me out :)

Back