Free open course on the chemistry of beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, been flat out and I don't think I'll get any more of this course done :(
Might just buy a couple of brewing science books and just slowly work my way through them

I gave up at the first hurdle! Now doing an introduction to Chemistry course :)
Hopefully it will be run again next year.

Also just finished the Unit 2 exam. Got one question wrong (the last one) so gives me a score of 18.3

I'm very happy with the result given the hard core chem concepts. The removal of the one word answers was also good as there was less ambiguity in answering questions.

Looking forward to the next unit as hopefully it will be more 'beery'

Got 4 wrong in that one. Bugger me was a bit full on my brain switched off watching videos

I too signed up for this course when I first saw RelaxedBrewer's November post (thanks mate - I owe you one).

Subsequently I have been watching posts with interest but have had nothing to add - that is until now !

20 out of 20 for the Unit 2 Quiz :D

Not bad for a retiree who had originally looked at Community College and U3A courses.

Nice. I'm almost done with study and will take quiz soon. Pretty full-on.

I found the general information of this unit pretty interesting (but the chemistry was a bit much/unimportant to me at times). Finding myself taking more notice of the effects of alcohol when I drink and actually taking it a bit easier unless it's a special occasion.

Looking forward to more brewing stuff in Unit 3.

Edit: 20 as well. Not too bad in the end - found the practice quiz harder than actual one.

I've canned it.
I have better things to do with my non work hours.
beer golf fishing in any order
golf tomorrow with beers

I'm just to about chuck this in, now all the lessons no matter what unit have disappeared, it's just blank. No scroll bars to navigate. Life is too short for bloody wankers in Oklahoma not being able to design a workable web page.

Yep, about to chuck it too. Can't get onto the website to take the quiz as I keep getting a message saying that there has been an unknown arror and to try again later. For the last 3 days.

The first quiz shit itself halfway through and when I re took it, it claimed I'd left answers blank and marked accordingly...

I've sent a cranky e-mail to them, but not really expecting a response or usefull assistance if past experience with university IT helpdesks is anything to go by

Well i've been deep sea fishing for the past 3 days and forgot about the quiz.

Oh well...

Don't stress if you missed it, you can still take it late it just caps your max score at 15/20. I missed it to, but plan to catch up this week by doing module 2 and starting to read module 3 :beer:

I have finally got around to start looking at this course, a couple of weeks late, oh well.

i'm just finishing watching the vids for the first week, I can see how someone without a chemistry background would struggle, there are some concepts in there that he has assumed you would understand the backgroup, mostly functional group naming and structural naming.

Lets see how I go on the quizzes.

wow, that was hard! 13.3 after watching the videos only, not bad, but to pass the course I will need some higher scores.

Week 2 complete, I didn't watch the vids, just did some wiki reading, 18.3/20, which will be scored down to 15 because I am 20 hours late.

From unit 4 onward it should get better, down to business of brewing I hope.

Fuk their shit site, shits me. Won't scroll at all, and what I could see said that I hadn't even taken the very first exam yet.

The Amerkin pronunciation of things shits me sometimes, lol.. It often simply doesn't match the spelling of the words. There's a few in there but for example, "carmelization" - why do they drop the other 'a'??

Petty, I know but damn those yanks and their nonsensical pronunciation.

Edit: Caryophyllene = "Crylophene", Farnesene = "Ferrisene"

Latest posts

Back