Free open course on the chemistry of beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
beermeupscotty said:
There's discussion on the forums about a certificate or something like that, with promises from the Prof. but nothing has emerged yet.
Ok cool.

Very hard to prove PD hours without a certificte.

No doubt I'll enroll. Maybe I'll keep a journal.

The last email from the Prof advised:

1. of the issue of a "badge" for successful completion of the course.

(see Mozilla Open Badge Backpack (http://openbadges.org) if you are interested.), and

2. of a tentative proposal to offer the 8-week Chemistry of Beer course again in August.

Got my badge today.

Chemistry_of_Beer.png

I didn't know anything about this, when I saw the thread initially I must have thought "Vince Costanzo" and didn't read it. However I've downloaded that 2000 page chemistry book that I'll plough through, so I'll be ready if they run the course again.

Looks like they are running it again.
Also the general chemistry course as well.
I have signed up to do the general chemistry course so that I might be able to get my head around the beer chemistry this time.
Got all the questions with the beer stuff correct but pretty much none of the chemistry ones so I failed it.
Mostly due to the fact that my knowledge of chemistry was from Year 10 so I found it a long way out of my depth.
Hopefully I can get up to speed on the general chemistry and then I might have some chance.

I used to love chemistry at school in the 1960s but I expect not much has changed unless they have rewritten the periodic table or something. I got an A level in Chemistry (and Physics and Biology).

UK high school runs into Sixth Form College which is sort of a merger between Aussie Year 12 and University first year, will be fascinating to see if I can still remember my old favourites like the Aliphatic / Aromatic hydrocarbon series etc. However this time I won't be making nitroglycerine and throw rocks at it in the playground (got a few of the lads suspended) :p

Great course. I think you can pay and have it accredited so you receive a certificate. Personally I'd just print the email out if you want to prove completion. With anything free there is generally a catch. The only thing I didn't like was the time limits for the test. Having limited time to spend on thr course, I liked to read the info and do the test all at once. But even though the lessons were up for a week or so the time to complete the tests was much shorter. But then even though I was late with tests I still passed. Worth giving it a go as you can't really loose and I found some of the info really interesting especially when you already knew some of the info but the course gave you a more indepth look and put things into better perspective.

I'm keen to get stuck in this time. Have brushed up on my chemistry, so hopefully I can keep up.

I've signed up as well. I'll see how I go but my chemistry knowledge is very limited.
Is there a AHB group this time around? If not we should create one.

gsouth said:
I've signed up as well. I'll see how I go but my chemistry knowledge is very limited.
Is there a AHB group this time around? If not we should create one.
I answered my own question by the look of it.
I followed the instructions in post 87 and joined the previous group. theres 139 people in the group now.

I missed the start of the course. Everything got busy at once. Had to read and do the 1st assignment on one day so I wasn't late. Made a rookie mistake by thinking "mashing" rather than "malting" as the question asked and got 15/20. Just too rushed.

The 2nd topic I had plenty of time to read up. Got 20/20.

Finding it very interesting. The introductory chem looked haphazard but now it seems to be tying together better.

Back