Free open course on the chemistry of beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DeGarre said:
From unit 4 onward it should get better, down to business of brewing I hope.
Spoke too soon. This course is so boring and is unlikely to improve my beers brewed with BM. I didn't know beer and brewing was so utterly boring before I started watching the course videos.

DeGarre said:
Spoke too soon. This course is so boring and is unlikely to improve my beers brewed with BM. I didn't know beer and brewing was so utterly boring before I started watching the course videos.
Buh suck it in. Pushups are boring, but foortballers get something out of it even if it doesn't directly relate to the game.
Something good will come, even if in the most unexpected of ways.

toncils said:
Buh suck it in. Pushups are boring, but foortballers get something out of it even if it doesn't directly relate to the game.
Something good will come, even if in the most unexpected of ways.
U should run boot camps :)

Didn't mean to sound narky, sorry.
I'm barely passing, but it's given me some good insight into hop utilisation, among other things.

Is there anyone left still doing this? I am hanging in there and finding it quite interesting, the theory covers a lot of the mystical secrets of brewing explaining the reasons why rather than this is how I do it and it works.

I'm still doing it and enjoying the majority of the content. There are times it gets a little to chemically dry but on the whole i'm learning things, and on the plus side can apply them to my brewing which is great.

Through a special amulet.
I had no time to do the course from the beginning but I'm hoping to save the texts for later reference. Can still learn from it.

Do you mean amylet? Lol.

Yeah, I'd been taking my own condensed notes but am getting a bit slack/running out of time, so I was planning to do the same thing. Got a program to extract the videos too.

Who's figured out how to save all the study info and vid's on their PC???

Im way to busy to be doing this in their timeframe.

I've only managed to save/download/copy the text from about half the resources. Some it appears to be locked without using OCR software or something fancy?

Final exam submitted. I didn't revise, I've been averaging 16/20 each week by skimming through the material so I figured I would do OK.

I have given up on this. Got tired of the exams marking me on different answers to the ones I submitted. Good luck to anyone who could make the interface work properly.

Well done glenos.

I started off loosing 7 points in the first quiz but only lost 5 more in the rest.

Finished up the assessments for this course tonight after completing the final exam plus a couple I'd missed. Yay :)

I started strong and was pretty dedicated at the beginning but my study became less thorough about half-way through, as my spare time became tight. Glad I enrolled though, as I learned a fair bit. I'd like to revisit the sections which I glossed over and review them more thoroughly at some point.

I'm not sure if I'll make better beer after having done this course but my background knowledge of the process is definitely much better. More importantly, my appreciation for the complexity of the brewing process is greater now, and I think my enhanced enthusiasm and curiosity for the process will result in improvements in my practice over time.

How many people completed this?

Do you get a fancy certificate or anything? The reason is I can use this as professional development for work as well as learn something useful.

Hope they run this again next year.

Back