Help Support Aussie Homebrewer by donating:

1. We have implemented the ability to gift someone a Supporting Membership now! When you access the Upgrade page there is now a 'Gift' button. Once you click that you can enter a username to gift an account Upgrade to. Great way to help support this forum plus give some kudos to anyone who has helped you.
    Dismiss Notice

Fermzilla

Discussion in 'Gear and Equipment' started by Nullnvoid, 1/7/19.

1. Substance

Home Page:
    Posted 19/11/19
    Wow this escallated some what from my original intention to bring awareness of potential outcomes from "forgetting" steps in a simple proceedure.

Sure read the manual it could say don't leave trub in the collection container & don't forget to open the valve etc,
    but as for warning lables etc whats the point, if you forget or don't follow the safe use steps.

So my guns don't have or need warning labels all over them to use them, but if I didn't follow or miss/forget a step in the simple procedure on the correct use and hurt myself, should I add warning labels all over them to remind me for next time? I think not.

As for warning the stupid out of things, should there be a "not for internal use" label on it also then? (they are out there & live amongst us)

I live by the philosophy
    "Learn from other peoples mistakes, as life's to short to make them all yourself"

share your experiences, live & learn people

now lets stop the nit picking, bickering & snide comments back and forth and get back to what we enjoy and are here for
    sharing the joy & experiences of Home Brewing within our community

peace out

Norbert, markp, marc280 and 2 others like this.
  2. soreba

BeardedDogz

Posted 19/11/19
    Yeah not really that big of an issue... Some safety sally's out there and people saying to not use the dangerously explosive polycarbonate product and use my product. ;)

I remember when i used to go on the Homebrewing subreddit heaps there was always someone in the USA every 3-4 months that would drop a glass carboy... and then post pics of the aftermath post emergency room with foot lacerations. Same thing right? no one is suing the carboy manufacturer.. (well, maybe they are, they tend to do that in america)

Substance likes this.
  3. wide eyed and legless

Pro Pro

Posted 19/11/19
    My all time favourite in the suing mentality in the USA. Though not fact.
    https://www.heraldtribune.com/news/...e-shows-truth-behind-frivolous-lawsuit-claims

Substance likes this.
  4. Ballaratguy

Posted 20/11/19
    The only trouble with instruction manuals is that they are written (I apologise for any politically incorrectness) in “Chinglish”
    As a retired safety professional, maybe I’m from old school but I think we are “dumbing down” people and trying to explain everything to the nth degree and not allowing people to think for themselves

5. CEO Keg King

Posted 20/11/19
    Yes manuals like that irritate me too so we usually do them ourselves. Others we redo.

Of course authorities like to unload responsibility on to the supplier but the supplier should make sure that the things they sell fail safe or else prominently warn of what can happen.

6. Edward Rowe

Posted 21/11/19
    I thought there was etiquette about other sponsors* not commenting on threads of rival companies.

*Unless they are doing it under a sneaky account they have created.

7. wide eyed and legless

Pro Pro

Posted 21/11/19
    First off it isn't a competitors thread, its an open thread. As for sneaky account, who was you when you were previously on this forum?
    Nothing constructive in any of your posts, only negative comments.

8. fungrel

Moderator Staff Member Moderating

IT Wench
    Posted 30/11/19
    You're not 'dumbing down people' - it's called good design.
    Consumers know value proposition (consciously or unconsciously) when they see it, and if you let consumers work out it for themselves.. Well it's pretty clear to everyone you're importing gear from China without any idea of how your brand is percieved in the market.

9. Neil Buttriss

Pro Pro

Posted 30/11/19
    I'm sorry I'm maybe your Safety Sally, but in my line of work (which I have doing for 45years), safety is of the utmost importance and always has been, no matter how minor if an injury can be prevented then it should be. Warning stickers say a lot more than a manual does.

CEO Keg King and Meddo like this.
  10. Kenf

Posted 1/12/19
    As a current Safety Professional (that should be retired), I partially agree.
    However this particular hazard might not be that obvious to people who are not knowledgeable in the area of plastics.
    You are also correct about the manuals, they tend to be a bit sparse and don’t read well. A warning label on the container is a perfectly reasonable fix! Afterall GF had Warning Hot Surface on an Urn!
    And I used to have a warning label on my setup that read “WARNING Not to be operated by Fuckwits!”
    Cheers

CEO Keg King likes this.