Fermzilla

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So gas it up empty? If so what PSI? Will this drain my gas bottle really quickly?
No need for much, you are searching for a leak, 5psi should be heaps but if that doesn't work maybe go up in 5 psi increments, what psi was the spending set to?

No need for much, you are searching for a leak, 5psi should be heaps but if that doesn't work maybe go up in 5 psi increments, what psi was the spending set to?
I had it fully closed to get a reading and then check again every 30 minutes and it was dropping. Eventually getting to zero. I'll empty the water and fill it with CO2 to 5 psi and chuck him in the pool and see how we go

How do I connect up an air compressor?
Adapter hose. Put a suitable male air compressor fitting (Nitto, Jamec, Ryco, whatever your existing compressor setup uses) --> hose barb piece on one end of a length of hose, and a corny keg gas fitting on the other end.

I wouldn't be doing this. A Pressurised vessel with no liquid in it is far more hazardous than one full of water. If something is cracked and about to go you might pop it with a lot of force behind it.

I just realised you said fermzilla and not all rounder. Are you sure you don't have a leak from the bottom? If you've filled it up with water, sprayed everything with soapy water etc it might be easy to miss a small amount of water leaking out of the dump valve assembly.

How do I connect up an air compressor?
This is how I do it.
You can probably just push the nozzle onto the post and pressurise that way.

Attachments

• IMG20220712070726.jpg
    IMG20220712070726.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 0
The only leaking I've had to deal with on my Fermzilla is the collection chamber. It was a bit intermittant and took me a while to find but it was a crack in are area of the thread. Not through the actual container but a crack through the tooth of the thread. This must have made it not apply even force on the o-ring and allowed a small drip. I got a new collection chaner and all was good. Now I just have to try and not crack the new one because undoing the collection chamber is one of the most difficult and frustrating things you can do!

Sorry I should have mentioned it is an all rounder so can only leaking from the top. I pressurised it to 5 psi and put it in the bath and no bubbles. It's got me stuffed

Mmmmmm....... does the vessel actually lose all it's pressure? It's not just something weird going on with the gauge? I personally think 5psi is a bit low to look for a leak, especially if your are brewing at a higher pressure.

It's not just something weird going on with the gauge?

Trenta, are you keeping the spunding valve attached as it shows a drop in pressure or are you reattaching occasionally?

Either way, it might be that rather than the fermenter itself…

Trenta, are you keeping the spunding valve attached as it shows a drop in pressure or are you reattaching occasionally?

Either way, it might be that rather than the fermenter itself…
He said earlier on that he'd tried disconnecting overnight and it still leaked, but I wouldn't rule it out yet.

There's only so many places it can be leaking from. If you really want to find it then make up another soap solution, check that it is actually good for blowing bubbles, and make sure to give everything a good spray with it. Fill with water and pressurise to >20psi.

At this point though I'd probably just ignore it and brew anyway rather than spending time on it. If it doesn't impact your brew then who cares.

He said earlier on that he'd tried disconnecting overnight and it still leaked, but I wouldn't rule it out yet.

There's only so many places it can be leaking from. If you really want to find it then make up another soap solution, check that it is actually good for blowing bubbles, and make sure to give everything a good spray with it. Fill with water and pressurise to >20psi.

At this point though I'd probably just ignore it and brew anyway rather than spending time on it. If it doesn't impact your brew then who cares.
Think I'll do that now

Latest posts

Back