Domestic Violence

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We can't just blame it on ice though - or alcohol for that matter. Something needs to shift so people realise they can't do this shit to other people and men as the most common perpetrators need to take a front seat. We live in a first world country and still think we can solve petty disagreements with fists.

manticle said:
We can't just blame it on ice though - or alcohol for that matter. Something needs to shift so people realise they can't do this shit to other people and men as the most common perpetrators need to take a front seat. We live in a first world country and still think we can solve petty disagreements with fists.
I think part of the problem is that the people you are describing are fuckwits. How do you stop a fuckwit being such? I ask seriously, as no amount of reasoning will get through to these 'people', they will do what they will do much like any other who exhibits habitual criminality.

Squeeze them out, make them pariahs so they are never emulated. You can't necessarily stop fuckwittery but you maybe able to arrest or retard the spread of it.

Drug enhanced " super fuckwits". Bit sensitive on the whole ice thing atm. Got dealers next door. Had to hunt a couple of their drug fucked clients out of my back yard at 5:30 yesterday morning .

wereprawn said:
Drug enhanced " super fuckwits". Bit sensitive on the whole ice thing atm. Got dealers next door. Had to hunt a couple of their drug fucked clients out of my back yard at 5:30 yesterday morning .
I agree that ice is really ******* unhelpful in helping humans bring out the best in themselves.

Black Devil Dog said:
Sadly, this despicable behaviour continues to happen.

It's ugly to hear about, it would be uglier to be on the receiving end, but the ugliest of all, is the perpetrator.

Thankfully, one of the first things Turnbull is doing, is taking action on this scourge.

There is only one acceptable outcome, domestic violence must stop.
I'm sorry, I normally just lurk - but I had to bite at this bait. What on earth makes you think that making something illegal or, as quoted in the linked article, "unAustralian", would ever cause it to stop?

I'm pretty sure that the last thing running through anyone's head as they subject their partner to violence is a question of the legality of their action.

The real issue here is cultural, and as werepawn suggested above; it's a relatively new culture. And by cultural, I mean "hard drugs", and not somehow "Aussie" or "bloke" culture.

I agree with the first bit but domestic violence is definitely not new or part of a new culture.

Can't we just all agree it's shit and there should be no more of it?

Fuckin' nerds on nerd forums over complicating everything.

I had an ex that was violent

Sitting on the lounge and getting speakers thrown at you

No thanks

Manticle; you're right. It's shit and there should be no more of it.

I (in a lot of vague and uncertain terms) tried to suggest that this current media "epidemic" seems to focus mostly on victims affected by a culture of hard drug use, but also makes the fallacy of associating the abuse rate within that sub-culture to a national identity.

wereprawn said:
A lot of it lately is fuckwits off their guts on ice. Quite a few of the fatal attacks seem to be by blokes who look like they're on the roids too. Particularly dangerous combo. The women had no chance .
nah - a lot of it is historical. ice is just the latest excuse (and a piss poor excuse at that) along with whatever other excuse. upbringing, no father, alcohol, copying the father, it's all just bullshit excuse.
dv is the lowest of the low, and controlling and bullying and coercion are the same thing without the bruises.
any guys on here who get into any of that should take a good hard look at yourself, without the bullshit excuses. the buck has to stop somewhere.
if you think you've got some right to hit the person you're supposed to love, then you're ******* sick.
men who blame substance abuse, upbringing, stress, the wife, their self righteous indignation or anything else aren't men. they're slime.
if your problem's that big, be big and walk away. you can always start again.

butisitart said:
if you think you've got some right to hit the person you're supposed to love, then you're ******* sick.
men who blame substance abuse, upbringing, stress, the wife, their self righteous indignation or anything else aren't men. they're slime.
So many excuses being made these days

ltp said:
I'm sorry, I normally just lurk - but I had to bite at this bait. What on earth makes you think that making something illegal or, as quoted in the linked article, "unAustralian", would ever cause it to stop?

I'm pretty sure that the last thing running through anyone's head as they subject their partner to violence is a question of the legality of their action.

The real issue here is cultural, and as werepawn suggested above; it's a relatively new culture. And by cultural, I mean "hard drugs", and not somehow "Aussie" or "bloke" culture.
Not sure why you'd call it 'bait'.

A culture of predominantly men, bashing and killing family members should be exposed and hopefully stopped, any way it can be.

It's not a recent scourge, but ice has most likely made attacks much worse.

My advice to those that cant control themselves is to give themselves an uppercut, in fact make it a triple.

wereprawn said:
Set fire to their house, preferably in the two hours a week when they're asleep.

butisitart said:
nah - a lot of it is historical. ice is just the latest excuse (and a piss poor excuse at that) along with whatever other excuse. upbringing, no father, alcohol, copying the father, it's all just bullshit excuse.
dv is the lowest of the low, and controlling and bullying and coercion are the same thing without the bruises.
any guys on here who get into any of that should take a good hard look at yourself, without the bullshit excuses. the buck has to stop somewhere.
Mate, I've seen good men that wouldn't raise a hand to their worst enemy, try and beat shit out of family members after they'd been on amphetamines for a week or so straight . Even so there's no excuse and offenders should be dealt with accordingly.

From personal experince, Ice can turn a peace loving human into an anxious explosive rage monger. The idea that it is associated with DV is ludicrous, because it is a far different danger and problem that we ALL face. No discrimination for meth related destruction. What it is good at achieving though is showing the user the absolute worse side of themselves. The pits of despair face you in so many agonizing ways that it drives you to act on impulse and primal instincts over control and rational thought. It is evil.

I never use to understand the extent of domestic violence. I moved out on my own 6 years ago, 400km away from 'home.' In my jobs, the people use to joke about how prevalent DV was in Wodonga, but would talk against it. My next door neighbour was a woman with 4 children, with a fifth otw to the bloke living with her. She was a kind person with lots of love for her children. He seemed pretty decent, could always strike up a convo. Normally when they argued, he would steam on out to the pub and that would be the end of it. One night we were woken to screaming and shit breaking at 2 in the morning. Hearrd a lot of blaming and anger towards the woman, and then a sicken sound of her skull bouncing off the floor boards. My partner called the cops and I went over with a bat. He was starting the car and trying to get away when I ran over, so I took a few swings at his car but he pissed off anyway.

Her partner had punched her square in the eye and dropped her. She was out cold when we got there, blood all over the place and kids screaming hysterically shielding their mum. It was the most devastating thing I have ever seen. She is ok now, had a string of similar events over the next few years with a string of other partners. I have intervened with several other disputes lately which I've accidentally been near. A neighbours teenage son was out the front of the house screaming threats of stabbing his mum and brother. That was a rough afternoon. It ended with the mum apologising to her out of control son. I won't go into the story but he was completely in the wrong. Stories like this add much confusion. A mother enabling her son to act out violence.

Since then I have noticed the impact on downplaying and joking about DV. It is constantly perpetuated unknowingly by so many men, that they see it ok to use it as an empty threat. They figure they will never follow through on the actions, but sometimes some of them do. Even so the empty threat is just as harmful, and DV should always be frowned upon in its many forms.

In so many cases it gets reported 20 times and nothing gets done.

Eventually someone gets killed.

How can this be allowed to happen?

Latest posts

Back