Adelaide messenger Jurno needs a stern talking to

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hellbent said:
I have huge doubts she has even had a home brew beer! Journalism these days consists of fabrication and exaggeration to produce a story and I think perhaps she has just highlighted a myth of old that home brew is crap :unsure:
Agree with your comments re journalism today, it's just plain crap. And to quote a spoof article as truth is just stupid. But I'm also sure we've all tasted home brew that tastes like crap. Mate of mine makes stuff that he reckons is 'pretty ok' that tastes like he's fermented his little uns used nappies. Mind you I'd still like to pour a few gallons of it down her throat, ignorant b****

She probably couldn't think of anything else to write about, she should stick to baking and looking stupid in her baking outfit.
images (1).jpg

Cans of goo, fermented at 28C with bakers yeast do taste like crap and I drank plenty of it when I was at uni. My first all grain brew was described by my mates as the best homebrew they had ever tasted and it has only improved from there.

It is possible that she had some horrible infected beer, it is possible she had a lambic and didn't understand the style. Some home made biscuits are shit too, it's not an excuse to pan all baking at home.

Journalists have been infiltrated by muppets!

My mum made a batch of shitty tasting biscuits once
She was being all pretentious and snobbish by wearing an apron and everything
She started using words like "shortbread", she was now a baker who made boutique biscuits
she entered a local baking comp, even
The rumor was that a big biscuit company entered one of their biscuits in a normal tin, it won and it was the most home made tasting biscuit of the show
No matter how bad things get, there is no reason to resort to home-baking. we make the best biscuits in the country right here in this state. Leave it to them, because no amount of milk can disguise the taste of failure

Nice Spork.

Its funny how articles such as this stir up so much emotion. I dont give a **** what she thinks or how many people she convinces not to brew their own.
We all know better, it doesn't stop me from doing what I like and if anything it makes the reaction of a first time HB drinker to one of my brews all that much better.

Relax dont worry-- you know the rest.

I reckon she wouldn't know a good beer in any event. Wonder whose interest it was for her to write the crap article and how much she got for it. Something stinks for this to be written out of the blue.
As a South Australian sorry to all you Brewers, and she can piss off.

She was invited to a meeting of the SA Brew Club to see what it's all about
But she decided to be a rude bitch and reply with "They must meet in a pub for a reason"
Not to realise that it's at the Wheaty
Which y'know stocks beers that are mostly made by brewers who started off as homebrewers, and from what I'm told the owners of the Wheaty were homebrewers too
Gonna bet an ex was a homebrewer and didn't give her enough attention?

At 6' 1" she would need a lot of attention, she actually did a write up of the 5 best pubs in Adelaide and mentioned the Wheatsheaf, although her concern wasn't with the beer served, she did mention it was a craft beer pub.You should put that post of yours about the baking on her twitter account spOrk, if its possible.

It looks like she deleted the tweet about the meeting being at the pub. Agree about tweeting her Spork's comment. Sums it up perfectly.

I went to do it, but it's way too long and I was too lazy to break it up
So I posted this instead (I'm @sp0rk_ if anyone wants to go retweet it)
@moniquebowley My mum made a batch of shitty tasting biscuits once, therefore home bakers are a failure and should stop baking immediately
If I can be bothered when I get home this afternoon, I might put the full thing on her facebook

big78sam said:
It looks like she deleted the tweet about the meeting being at the pub. Agree about tweeting her Spork's comment. Sums it up perfectly.
Still there for me

Makes we wonder why she wrote the article,to us here it's a load of crap. It's so blinkered,I wonder if any of the home brew shops in Adelaide have had people ask a out it.
Many people who know brewers are prolly giving them shit about it,love to be a fly on the wall listening to all the uninformed who believe such shite giving their knowledge to a brewer,and the brewers trying not to slap them.

I made a pretty decent comment on the original article that was pretty respectful but called her research into question last night
It went up this morning but has since been deleted, good to see the voice of reason being silenced

sp0rk said:
I made a pretty decent comment on the original article that was pretty respectful but called her research into question last night
It went up this morning but has since been deleted, good to see the voice of reason being silenced
Sounds like she knows her job then.
Slap some shit out in the public domain,expect to be taken seriously and putting her name to it,then having comments deleted when it doesn't suit.
Don't ya just love hack journo's. I have an idea what she can do with a bandaid and a biscuit. :).

A truly disgraceful level of journalism. I'm pretty surprised it got published. Maybe it was the editor's day off or maybe the editor is equally as bad.

Speaking of questionable journalism (although was actually positive about HBers), I read an article in MX (for non-Sydneysiders it's a free rag which gets handed out at train stations) on the last page saying how easy all grain brewing is. So easy, in fact, that you just chuck some grain in hot water (which is apparently called the "wash") and don't even worry about sanitation.

I really worry how lax the journo standards have become. Even just 10 minutes of googling would give them a better result.

When she gets home this afternoon and cracks a VB or Crowny, she'll think about how right she is about that crap homebrew.

Open letter to the editor gents...or....we unleash the Manticle ;)

"get the Manticle"
"but he's sleeping!"
"well wake him"
(Pulp Fiction reference)
*not sure why I picked Manticle, apart from a cool name I just think he'd be a good forum representative to educate her on homebrew...

You just gave me a mental image of manticle in a gimp suit. Thanks. Thanks very much.

Latest posts

Back